Tony's 1302S

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Tony's 1302S

Post by Tony Z »

Well, its about time I do something about this project.

Some of you will remember that a while back I bought a 1302S that was standing in Alberton.
Riaanj posted the advert for the car and went to look at it for me.
I then asked my old buddy Bugger to go check and give me his opinion. Later that day, the car was paid for and Bugger collected it for me.

Fk, I hate yellow!!!!

I asked Bugger to do some work for me. Fix up the body work, respray the car, sort out a decent gearbox for me and a few others.

I also managed to source a set of new, imported 1302/1303 rear fenders

Bugger had the car for nearly a year before it was finally sent down to me in Cape Town.
Some of the work that was done was done extremely well. But there was a lot I wasnt happy with and a few specially imported parts also went missing.
I discussed this with Bugger and he refunded me for the lost parts. Although not entirely happy with some of the items, I didnt want to push this topic as we have been friends for years and I value our friendship, so its water under the bridge and I wont bring up the issues.

the paint job... ja, well, the paint job.
Bugger and his team did a brilliant job on the paint. I cant fault him for that.
The colour... well, I went to a paint supplier and chose the colour by a sample they had. They mixed up the batch and I sent it to Bugger. When I got the car, it was the wrong colour.
I chose a Mercedes Benz Brown according to the colour pallet/sample. I was supplied with a purple. I went back to complain and was told that they got the mix according to the name and double checked it to the code of the sample I chose. But they arent responsible for the colour pallets being wrong. So I chose a brown and got a purple, but it wasnt their fault.

I really tried to like the colour... I really tried, but it was still purple, which is nearly as bad as yellow.
Make no mistake, it is a damn smart colour, just not for this car.

So... suck it up and start again.
This time I went to another paint company who sprayed me samples of the colour before I chose. Once again, its a Mercedes colour, but this time it really is brown.
No, not baby poo brown, but something really smart, which I have only seen twice before, once in 2011 and once in 2014.

OK, this picture doesnt do the colour any justice....

But here is the final product

Finally, the colour is right.

There are a few touches that the panel beaters need to look at, but I had to come back to work and couldnt leave my car in their workshop for 3 months...

Make no mistake, this project is still a long way from being finished.
The electrics are a mess, the newly installed alarm is dead, the engine needs a rebuild to "Zee" specs, the interior needs to be redone and I want to convert to disk brakes on all 4 corners.

O yea, last thing to add for now... I got my shocks from Germany

Yes, the 1302 has McPherson strut front suspension, so coil overs instead of the axle beams....
It also has semi-trailing arm rear suspension (I think thats what it is called), known as IRS suspension in VW circles. This prevents the rear wheels from changing camber as they move up and down, unlike the swing axle design. Note how the rear wheels dont tuck in when on the lift (this was the first time I used the lift ;-) )

Jdt1976
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 1952 beetle

Re: Tony's 1302S

Post by Jdt1976 »

Looks good already. Must be nice to work on a later model that the parts is more freely available.
What wheels are you going to fit and are you going the go mad with the motor?
acpaterson
Carburettor
What model do you have?: Winston, a 74 Bay
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Very cool Tony. Car's going to look awesome man..
fourier
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: '59 Ghia, '77 Beetle
South Africa

Post by fourier »

There's that two-post lift again... :mrgreen:

Paint looks really good Tony. That looks more like a golden brown, compared to the purple brown it was earlier. The colour does the car justice, and sets off the chrome nicely! Maybe a set of gold centred 17" BBS wheels would go well with that... Sure it will be an awesome car once it's done. Pity we'll have to wait three months for an update.
(o= i =o) (o\ ! /o)
Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: none

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Looking awesome Tony, I would have lived with the Fanta Grape Purple..

So reading between the lines, is this going to be a mad German look bug? One of those Type 4 engines in here with an upright shroud etc etc etc

Keen to see the end result of this!!
If it's too low, you're too old :twisted:
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Feeewww...... Finally..... The Project thread has arrived.......... :?

Must say, the car looks good in that brown, never liked a Beetle in brown, thats why I sold the 1959 that time, but that Brown of yours can work.

But that "Burnt Grape" was also a nice colour, would have kept it that way had I been you, would have been the only one in that ever.

Please keep the posts coming, do not want to be the only project thread here........ :lol:

Thanks for sharing, Tony,

Can not wait to see each and every step.

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

There wont be any updates for a while. So dont hold your breath.
Beside, I usually like to post threads of what I have done, not something that is in progress, so this one is going against the grain a little.

As for the Purple. I really tried to like it. I washed it, looked at it in the sun, from close, from a distance, asked other peoples opinion. But at the end of the day I didnt like it and it isnt what I wanted. I am not going to the effort of building up something with an image in my mind and then doing it in the wrong colour. I really wanted to like it, but I couldnt.

Blitz... it will be a German looker. I am aiming for something pretty damn smart. But it wont be a monster yet.
I'll be building a 1 off engine, 1750cc as a daily driver engine. Something much tamer than Angrrr, but I am still aiming for around 100 to 110hp. I have all the parts for that engine already. I could go bigger, but I wont for now, its an engine I have been wanting to build for a while.
Also, the aim for now with this car is to have a VW that I can use on a near daily basis. Something smart and quick, but not a monster. My current daily driver is a 2003 Mazda 6 with 245000km on it. Reality is that she is slowly getting old. So, if i need to get somewhere quick I'll use the Mazda, if I need a decent boot, I'll use the Mazda, if i need a huge boot then I'll use the Panel Van, and if I have time to enjoy the drive, then I'll use the 1302. Obviously, if I feel like a laugh, I'll use Angrrr

Riaan, you and I think alike sometimes... Of course its going to get Gold BBS rims, did you seriously think it would have been anything else? I've got the rims (replicas - no-one can afford the real thing) and have chosen a colour. Next step when i get home is to get them painted and then spend some time looking into a disc conversion. I am very tempted to make one from scratch, so need to put some time into it.

BTW, if you guys are looking for a real monster super beetle, you need to chase up 4agedub and get him to post a project thread. He has a 1303 that is going to be on a totally different level.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Here I was using the rims to help me decide on the colour... still didnt help the colour.
spoja
Drip
What model do you have?: beetle, golf, jetta

Post by spoja »

Thats a nice colour choice there, MUCH better than mello yellow.. it lends itself much more to the curves, and chrome. And those rims are going to look sick :twisted:

That hp figure your going for, is that going to be with a N/A motor?

Its a crying shame that we gotta wait 3 months for updates :( either way the way time flys these days...
Donovan D
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 67 Panel
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=536371512
South Africa

Post by Donovan D »

Seems that these guys at the bodyshop dont mess about. That brown looks a lot better than the orange colour you had on it. Really nice !!
The wheels will also look very nice on the car.
---------- 67 Panelvan -----------
---------- 56 Oval ----------
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

spoja wrote:That hp figure your going for, is that going to be with a N/A motor?
Yip.
See my Angrrr thread for a N/A engine with roughly 190hp
Wentzel
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: T1 1977,76

Post by Wentzel »

Looking good Tony. I was thinking about going a similar route with disk brakes by doing it myself as I have a set of mags with polo 5 stud PCD. What did you plan for the brakes so far? Any donour cars or aftermarket components?
Oxyboxer Project

Never Ending Beetle Project viewtopic.php?f=23&t=35724
Lolette Spyder Project http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 23&t=32175
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Wentzel wrote:Looking good Tony. I was thinking about going a similar route with disk brakes by doing it myself as I have a set of mags with polo 5 stud PCD. What did you plan for the brakes so far? Any donour cars or aftermarket components?
No plans yet unfortunately.
I'll take it one step at a time and start with getting the hubs off and measuring them up. Then just take it as it comes...
johanb
Flywheel
What model do you have?: '64 Bus
South Africa

Post by johanb »

Hi Tony,,

Like the new color,, let me know when you in the area again and will pop out,, need some ideas for my beetle as well

Johan
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

johanb wrote:Hi Tony,,

Like the new color,, let me know when you in the area again and will pop out,, need some ideas for my beetle as well

Johan
March / April