Ill-fitting exhaust heat exchangers & silencers

Ask and give advice here
Nigel A. Skeet
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: 1973 VW Type 2

Ill-fitting exhaust heat exchangers & silencers

Post by Nigel A. Skeet »

The following articles and correspondence, arose from personal experience in 1992/93, of ill-fitting, pattern-part exhaust heat exchangers, for a 1972~78 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2. However, I have since become aware that the problem is much more widespread and might affect several different exhaust-system commponents (i.e. exhaust heat exchangers & silencers, etc), from two or more manufacturers, for most if not all air-cooled VW & VW-Porsche engines.

I would welcome your own observations, of such problems!

************************************************************************************************

ILL-FITTING HEAT EXCHANGERS

As some owners may have already discovered, some pattern-part exhaust heat exchangers for the VW Type 2, are an unsatisfactory fit. In late-1991, I purchased a pair of "Danskpart" pattern-part heat exchangers, of the type fitted to the 1972~78 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2 (i.e. with "tophat" shaped, exhaust manifold to cylinder-head exhaust-port connections), for my 1911cc, modified VW 17/1800 Type 2 & 4 hybrid engine. The left-hand exhaust heat exchanger (part No. V 021 256 091 M) was a good fit, but the right-hand one (part No. V 021 256 092 M) was unusable.

Upon receipt of the exhaust heat exchangers, I tried them both (left-hand & right-hand) for fit, on an assembled engine carcass (i.e. crankcase, cylinder barrels & heads, but no internal components) without a fan housing. In the absence of a fan housing, the exhaust manifold "tophat" connections, of both the left-hand & right-hand exhaust heat exchangers, aligned perfectly with the exhaust-port studs, of the 1974/75 VW 1800 Type 2 cylinder heads.

When in early-1993, I undertook a trial fitting of the engine carcass, in the engine bay of my British specification, 1973 VW 1600 Type 2, to check the relative alignment of the coverplates to the engine bay perimeter, I was obliged to also fit the fan housing in place. I took this opportunity, to re-check the fit of the exhaust heat exchangers, but this time with the fan housing in place. The left-hand exhaust heat exchanger fitted perfectly as before, but the right-hand exhaust heat exchanger could not be fitted, owing to misalignment with the fan housing, of the heat exchanger's sheet-steel shroud.

These observations were reported to Volkswares, in Leicester, England, from whom I had purchased the "Danskpart" exhaust heat exchangers, by mail-order, several months prior to this discovery. They were sceptical about my findings; stating that their workshop mechanic could recall no history of misalignment problems with the "Danskpart" exhaust heat exchangers. They were also unsure of the similarities between the 1972~78 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2 and VW 17/1800 Type 4 (i.e. VW 411 & 412) engines, so this probably increased their scepticism, when I mentioned a VW 17/1800 Type 2 & 4 hybrid engine.

The issue of component inter-compatibility and inter-changeability between the various VW Type 1, 2, 3 & 4 air-cooled engines, is discussed in detail in the literature (e.g. Tom Wilson, "How to rebuild Your Volkswagen Air-Cooled Engine", HP Bookd, 1987). However, wishing to present the most convincing possible arguement, I assempled a wholly standard VW 1800 Type 2, AP-seies engine carcass with matching fan housing (i.e. corresponding engine numbers!).

I also tried every compatible combination (as defined in Tom Wilson's book) of VW 1700 Type 4 (i.e. VW411LE), WO-series crankcase, 90mm bore cylinder barrels and cylinder heads; VW 1800 Type 2, AP-seies engine crankcase, 93mm bore cylinder barrels, cylinder heads and fan housing; VW 2000 Type 2, GE-series engine fan housing and after-market, NPR 96mm bore cylinder barrels (of the type intended to fit standard 18/2000 or flycut 1700 cylinder heads). In each and every case, the left-hand exhaust heat exchanger fitted perfectly whilst the right-hand one, would not fit at all, owing to misalignment with the fan housing.

With the weight of evidence presented, Volkswares, to their credit, relented and provided me with a replacement, right-hand "Danskpart" exhaust heat exchanger. This too suffered the same misaliggnment problem, only worse! After repeating my series of investigations, this too was returned to Volkswares for a refund. Later, I ordered through a local motor factors, what was reputed to be, a genuine V.A.G. (i.e. Volkswagen Audi Gevaert) "Danskpart" exhaust heat exchanger, at a discount price, but this too proved to be a "Danskpart" pattern-part, which as expected, also suffered the same misalignment problem.

Finally, I ordered a genuine right-hand V.A.G. exhaust heat exchanger through the local franchised VW-Audi dealership, Maryan & Brading, in Rochford, Essex, England, who kindly granted me a 10% trade discount. The genuine right-hand V.A.G. exhaust heat exchanger (ordered for a 1974~75 VW 1800 Type 2 - some VW parts suppliers are seldom as knowledgeable about air-cooled VWs, as they would like to believe!) fitted perfectly, on my 1911cc, modified VW 17/1800 Type 2 & 4 hybrid engine; both with and without the fan housing.

All four (three "Danskpart", plus one genuine V.A.G.) right-hand exhaust heat exchangers fitted perfectly, on both the VW 1800 Type 2 and VW 1700 Type 4 cylinder heads, but only with the genuine V.A.G. exhaust heat exchanger, did the sheet-steel shroud (associated with the heating-system ducts) align perfectly with the outlet of the cast aluminium fan housing.

Having conclusively proven my case, I later contacted the headquarters of URO Automotive (i.e. the importers), in Birmingham, England, to apprise them of the problem; enquiring of them, the identity of the manufacturer, so that I might report my findings directly to them, but URO declined to release the information. I also wrote to the trade legation, at the Danish embassy in London, England, but they had no knowledge of a Danish exhaust heat exchanger manufacturer, associated with the name "Danskpart". Suspecting that "Danskpart was simply a brand label used by URO, I was obliged for the moment to hope, that URO would notify the manufacturer (or at least the exporter) of my observations.

During winter 1996/97, I wrote about these experiences (Nigel Skeet, "Ill-Fitting Heat Exchangers", Members' Tip, Transporter Talk, Issue 26, December 1996, Page 31 and Nigel Skeet, "Heat Exchangers: Rebuttal of Editors' Comments, Transporter Talk, Issue 27, February 1997, Pages 9~10) in the bi-monthly magazine of the British, Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club, which I had joined just a year earlier.

As a consequence of this, I received a letter from Phil Read (a fellow club member, in Sheffield, England), regarding a similar experience with some he had purchased from German & Swedish, in February 1997, for his 1972/73 VW 1700 Type 2. He reasonably supposed, that since my unfortunate experiences in 1993 and the ensuing correspondence with the supplier (i.e. Volkswares in Leicester) and the importers (i.e. URO Autmotive HQ in Birmingham), any such problems would by now have been resolved.

Not so! If anything, they were worse! Whereas my left-hand "Danskpart" exhaust heat exchanger fitted properly, neither of Phil's would at all. In common with my observations, his misalignment problems were attributable to the sheet-steel shroud, which connects (or not, in this case!) to the fan housing, rather than the exhaust manifold "tophat" to cylinder-head exhaust-port connections.

Like Volkswares, German & Swedish similarly spoke of hundreds of units sold without complaint and the implication that he didn't know what he was talking about. I initially received a similar response from Volkswares in 1993 and more recently from the editors of Transporter Talk in 1996/97 . Well thus far there had been at least five complaints; three of mine and two of Phil's. I wonder how many other owners had had similar experieces with "Danspart" exhaust heat exchangers or other pattern-part exhaust components.

Fortunately for Phil, he discovered that Bosal (a Belgian owned company) manufacture pattern-part exhaust heat exchangers for the 1972~78 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2, which did fit properly. He told me that these exhaust heat exchangers (left-hand - part No. 233015 & right-hand - part No. 233017) may be purchased from either Partco or Autela motor factors, at a cost of approximately £165 each. Information could be obtained direct, by using Freephone number 0800 374710.

Bosal (UK) Ltd., Walton Summit Road, Bamber Bridge, Preston, PR5 8AP, England.

Tel. +44 (0) 1772 34841
Fax. +44 (0) 1772 312750

**************************************************************************************************

Sometime during late-1997, I was informed by one of the independent VW parts suppliers, that "Danskpart" exhaust heat exchangers, were manufactured in Viborg, Denmark, by a company known as J.P., Jopex or something similar and so I again wrote to the trade legation, at the Danish embassy in London, England, who this time came up trumps, providing me with detailed information about the company, its senior management and contact details, as follows:

Company: J. P. Group A/S,
Jopex Division,
Hjulmagervej 5,
DK-8800 Viborg,
Denmark.

Tel.: +45 86 61 51 00
Fax.: +45 86 61 22 30
Telex: +55 66272 dancar dk

Company activity: Manufacturer of exhaust silencers & exhaust pipes
Company established: 1988
Company registration No. 65973
VAT No. DK 70114119
Bank: Unibank, Viborg afd.

Correspondence: English & German

Executive Officer: Martin Pedersen
EDP Management: Claus From
EDP Management: Bent Fabricius
Commercial Management: Børge From
Sales Management: Martin Pedersen
Sales Management: Ivan Mikkelsen
Sales Management: Lars From
Marketing: Martin Pedersen
Production: Stefan Justesen

**********************************************************************************

Company: Dansk Autopart A/S,
Hjulmagervej 5,
DK-8800 Viborg,
Denmark.

Tel.: +45 86 62 61 61
Fax.: +45 86 61 22 30
Telex: +55 66272 dancar dk
e-mail:

Company activity: Manufacturer of exhaust silencers & exhaust pipes
Company established: 1977
VAT No. DK 82941312
Giro No.: 828. 3753

Correspondence: English & German

Export Zones: Scandinavia, Western Europe, Eastern Europe,
North & Middle Asia, China, USA & Canada

Executive Officer: Martin Pedersen
EDP Management: Flemming Anderson
Financial management: Børge From
Purchasing: Stefan Justesen
Sales Management: Martin Pedersen
Sales Management: Bent Ole Pedersen
Sales Management: Brian Therkelsen
Sales Management: Torben Pagh
Sales Management: Kim Staal
Marketing: Martin Pedersen
Production: Stefan Justesen

***********************************************************************************************

The following, is a letter I sent on 24th January 1998, to Martin Pedersen, the chief executive officer of J. P. Group A/S, Jopex Division (aka Dansk Autopart A/S), in Viborg, Denmark, who are the manufacturers of "Danskpart" exhaust heat exchangers, for air-cooled VWs.

24th January 1998

Mr. Martin Pedersen
Jopex Division
J. P. Group A/S
Hjulmagervej 5
DK-8800 Viborg
Denmark

Dear Mr. Pedersen.

RE EXHAUST HEAT EXCHANGERS FOR AIR-COOLED VOLKSWAGENS

I have recently been informed by an independent VW parts supplier in England, that J.P. Group A/S, in Viborg, are the manufacturer of exhaust system components, for air-cooled VWs, sold in Great Britain, under the brand name of "Danskpart".

In late-1991, I purchased by mail-order from Volkswares, in Leicester, England, a pair of "Danskpart" exhaust heat exchangers, for a 1974 VW 1800 Type 2 Transporter (i.e. Van, Microbus, Kombi, etc.), which was undergoing restoration. When in early 1993, I tried to fit the heat exchangers to the 1800 engine, the sheet metal shroud (associated with the passenger cabin heating system) of the right-hand heat exchanger would not align correctly, with the connections to the aluminium fan housing; the misalignment being so bad (approximately 5mm), the heat exchanger could not be fitted. However, when the fan housing was removed, I was able to confirm that the exhaust port connections, would fit correctly to the engine's cylinder head exhaust ports.

Although more than a year had elapsed, since I purchased the heat exchangers, Volkswares provided me with a replacement "Danskpart" right-hand heat exchanger, which sufferd the same problem, only worse (approximately 10mm)! Another heat exchanger was suuplied by Volkspares, in Thurrock, England, which also proved to be a "Danskpart" unit and which similarly sufferd the same misalignment problem. Exasperated by what I perceived as a 'poor-quality' product, I finally resorted to purchasing from Maryan & Brading (a franchised VW/Audi dealer), in Rochford, England, a genuine VAG heat exchanger, which fitted the engine perfectly.

Following the publication of my article in Transporter Talk (magazine of the British, VW Type 2 Owners' Club) in December 1996, recounting my own experiences, I have learned of one member who had similar misalignment problems with both right-hand and left-hand "Danskpart" heat exchangers, for a 1973 VW 1700 Type 2, purchased in January 1997. He ultimately bought a pair of heat exchangers, made by Bosal. Another member, who purchased "Danspart" heat exchangers for a 1981 VW 2000 Type 2, in May 1997, was supplied with two faulty right-hand heat exchangers, before receiving one which would fit. In this case, the fault was one of incorrect alignment between the holes in the heat exchanger, exhaust pipe connection flange and the screw studs of the existing exhaust silencer.

As yet, I do not know the full extent or nature of all the various manufacturing faults exhibited by "Danskpart" heat exchangers, or which additional models of air-cooled VW, may be affected, but as more owners become aware of this long history of faulty goods, they will become wary of purchasing this brand, which is likely to have adverse effects on the profitability of J. P. Group A/S. I would therefore recommend that we ( i.e. J. P. Group A/S, together with VW owners who have experienced these problems) co-operate to eradicate these manufacturing faults, at the earliest opportunity.

Having owned air-cooled VW Type 2s since 1975, I have made various observations about the long-term performance of exhaust heat exchangers, including features of desighn and manufacture, which contribute to premature failure and less than optimum operating efficiency; some of which apply to both genuine VAG and pattern heat exchangers. I am presently documenting these observations, for publication in Transporter talk and other VW magazines. If you would like to acquaint yourself with these observations, I would be pleased to provide you with an advance copy.

Noting the limited life-span of conventional mild steel heat exchangers and recognising the likelyhood that they may cease to be available, for these obsolete vehicles, in the foreseeable future, I am interested to find out about the availability of stainless steel heat exchangers, for the 1968~79 VW 1600 & 17/28/2000 Type 2 and other air-cooled VWs. A letter of mine, dealing with this topic, was published in both VW Motoring and Transporter Talk, eliciting similar interest from other VW owners.

Some years ago, I learned that "Danskpart" stainless steel heat exchangers, were available from Watson Auto Parts, in Solihul, England, for the VW-Porsche 1914-4 (basically the same engine as the VW 411/412 and 1972~78 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2), but I have yet to find a source of any, for the VW Type 2 and other air-cooled VWs. For what air-cooled VWs, if any, do J. P. Group A/S, manufacture stainless steel heat exchangers.

I look forward to the formation of a mutually beneficial relationship with J. P. Group A/S and to receiving your reply, in the near future.

Yours sincerely.

Nigel A. Skeet
B.Sc., P.G.C.E., M.Sc., Pg.Dip.

************************************************************************************************

Here is the reply letter, which I received from Mr. Martin Pedersen, the managing director of the Jopex Division, J. P. Group A/S

25th February 1998

Dear Nigel A. Skeet

Thank you very much for your detailed description of the problems, you have faced with installing VW Type 2 heat exchangers in the past.

We have checked this in details with our quality manager, and the final result of the investigations is that our DANSK heat exchanger for VW Transporter, 2•0 l (our part No. 21.171/172) can be fitted on the engine despite the problems you have experienced. This means that the heat exchanger lines up properly to the sheet metal shroud/connection to the aluminium fan housing. We also checked up against an original heat exchanger and the fitting was just the same.

We are very pleased to have seious indirect customers as yourself, but we have really not been able to find any problems, nor have we had any complaints from other customers around the World.

If this happens again to you, we should be pleased if you could send back the product directly to us, clearly marking where you found the mistake. All costs involved in this will of course be carried by us and we will give you f.inst. an exhaust free of charge for your efforts.

Kind regards,
DANSK AUTOPART

Martin Pedersen

In Martin Pedersen's letter, dated 25th February 1998, it seemed that he and other Dansk Autopart personnel, do not seem to have fully comprehended the issues raised in my initial letter, so the following, is a second letter, which I sent in reply, on 8th May 1998, attempting to clarify these issues and introduce others which had come to my attention in the meantime. No reply to this second letter, was ever received!

8th May 1998

Mr. Martin Pedersen
Dansk Autopart A/S
Hjulmagervej 5
DK-8800 Viborg
Denmark

Dear Mr. Pedersen.

Thank you for your letter dated 25th February 1998, replying to my earlier correspondence, date 24th january 1998, in which I outlined details of known misalignment faults, with "Danskpart exhaust heat exchangers, for the 1972~78 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2 Transporter and the 1980~83 VW 2000 Type 2 Transporter.

I was gratified to receive such a positive response to my letter, which indicated a willingness, to resolve these problems and I have sent copies of our correspondence, to my two fellow VW Type 2 owners (Brian McCabe and Philip Read), who also recently experienced misalignment problems, with "Danskpart heat exchangers. They may write to you themselves, to recount their experiences; both of which occurred during 1997.

However, from the wording of your letter, I was not sure whether your technical staff, fully understood the precise nature of the different misalignment problems, which have so far been identified. To help clarify this issue, I enclose illustrations of the aluminium fan housing, exhaust heat exchangers & silencer, showing which connections would not align correctly.

Only exhaust heat exchangers for the 1972~78 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2 & 1979 VW 2000 Type 2, made for the British market, have connections to the engine cooling system, aluminium fan housing, as shown in the illustration. It was the right-hand heat exchangers (V 021 256 092M) and left-hand heat exchangers (V 021 256 091M), for the 1972~78 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2, that myself and Philip Read, experienced problems of misalignment to the aluminium fan housing.

Not being personally acquainted with the 1980~83 VW 2000 Type 2, I consulted with Brian Mccabe, who experienced misalignment problems with the right-hand heat exchangers (part No. 21.172) for this vehicle model. Based upon my correspodence with Brian McCabe and the illustrations he sent to me, I conclude that there are no connections between the right-hand and left-hand heat exchangers (part Nos. 21.171 & 21.172) and the engine cooling system, aluminium fan housing, of the 1980~83 VW 2000 Type 2. Cold, fresh air, is supplied to the heat exchangers, by a separate booster fan, via circular-section sheet-steel ducts.

The problem Brian McCabe experienced, was one of incorrect alignment between the holes in the heat exchanger, exhaust pipe connection flange and the screw studs of the existing exhaust silencer, as shown in the illustration. This misalignment problem, is only apparent after both heat exchangers have already been fitted to the engine and one then attempts to fit the exhaust silencer - dimensions 'A', 'B' & 'C' (as shown in the illustration) between the fixing holes, in the exhaust connection flanges, of the two adjacent heat exchangers, differ from those of the exhaust silencer.

Given that each of the faulty heat exchangers, were returned to the various British retailers for a refund, it is rather surprising that they were not returned to your company, by the British importers. I do not suggest that these misalignment problems are widespread, but it must be more than mere coincidence, that they have been experienced by three different people, from a relatively small club (< 4000 members), in which the 1972~78 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2 & 1980~83 VW 2000 Type 2, form only a small proportion of the vehicles owned. At the moment, it is uncertain how these manufacturing faults arose, but I imagine that one or more of the manufacturing jigs, were subject to sporadic misalignment.

I trust this further information will help you and your colleagues, to identify and rectify the source of these misalignment faults. If it would assist your production engineer and quality manager, to discuss these matters with me directly, please do not hesitate, to have them telephone me, at the above telephone number.

It is unlikely that either myself, Philip Read or Brian McCabe, will be buying any more new, replacement heat exchangers, in the near future, but in the meantime, I shall endeavour to learn whether any other owners of air-cooled VWs, have experienced those of other problems, with exhaust heat exchangers, originating from any of the exhaust system manufacturers (e.g. Dansk Autopart, Bosal, Leistritz, etc).

Hopefully, I will be able to achieve this, through the medium of the World Wide web (i.e. the Internet) and the various British VW magazines, such as VW Motoring, Volksworld, Flat 4 Volkswagen and Transporter Talk, the editors of which, are Neil Birkitt, Ivan McCutcheon, Paul Cave and Ralph Pettitt, respectively.

If I am able to establish contact, with any VW owners who have been supplied with faulty heat exchangers and have yet to return them to the retailer, would you be willing to extend your offer (as made to me, in your letter dated 25th February 1998), with regard to returning the faulty goods to you, for replacement and refund of transportation & related costs?

I look forward to the final resolution to these misalignment problems and to receiving your reply, in the near future.

Yours sincerely.

Nigel A. Skeet

Published in VW Motoring, July 1998, page 34

HEATER BEATER

I wonder whether any other readers of VW Motoring have experienced problems when fitting aftermarket "pattern-part" heat exchangers, to their air-cooled VWs?

My own experiences in the early 1990s, with a Type 2, involved problems with the alignment, of the connections to the air ducts from the fan housing, but I have learned from other Type 2 owners, of a recent crop of these and other problems, with general fit and finish. These problems, which particularly affect the 1972 to 1983 vans with 1700, 1800 & 2•0 litre "Type 4" engines, seem to relate to one particular brand of replacement parts.

It's possible, that heat exchangers for the VW 411/412 and VW-Porsche 914-4, may also suffer from similar problems! So far, I haven't learned of any problems, with the exhaust heat exchangers or silencers, which affect the 1600 engined Type 2 and other air-cooled VWs, but I would be "pleased" to learn of any, which readers have encountered.

I've been in direct contact with the senior management of the suppliers in Denmark, in order to try and sort out these problems. Although they claim to have received no feedback from suppliers in the UK (including those, to which I and other Type 2 owners returned our faulty units, for a refund) or other countries, they seem quite keen to resolve the problems.

If we can supply a large enough body of evidence (including the faulty units themselves, if possible), direct to the company in question, it seems quite likely, that the problems can be resolved, once and for all.

Owners should not be complacent that heat exchangers from other suppliers, are immune from problems; they're not! I have recently learned of another possible fault, which affects heat exchangers, from a Belgian manufacturer.

At the moment, I'm also investigating aspects of heat exchanger design and manufacture, which are likely to limit their lifespan (e.g. inadequate welding of joints, plus extent and type of paint film), heating performance (e.g. fin number & configuration), and engine performance (e.g. overheating owing to steps and constrictions, which resist expulsion of the exhaust gases), so I would be intereted to hear from readers, who have made observations in this regard.

Nigel A. Skeet

Unsent draft, dated 21st August 1998

Mr. Martin Pedersen
Dansk Autopart A/S
Hjulmagervej 5
DK-8800 Viborg
Denmark

Dear Mr. Pedersen.

Following my letters dated 24th January 1998 and 8th May 1998 and your initial reply dated 25th February 1998, I have learned of further problems with "Danskpart" exhaust heat exchangers, for the 1972~78 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2, 1979 VW 2000 Type 2 & 1980~83 VW 2000 Type 2, plus related vehicles. Having received no reply to my last letter (dated 8th May 1998), from either you or your staff, I must for the moment assume that it was not received; being lost in the postal system. Please therefore, find enclosed, a copy of that letter, together with the accompanying diagrams.

Arising from a letter of mine, which was published in the July 1998 issue of VW Motoring, a fellow VW Type 2 owner, referred me to Mr. James Calvert, proprietor of Stateside Tuning, in Enfield, Middlesex, England, who now refuses to supply & fit, "Danskpart" exhaust heat exchangers, owing to a long history and high incidence of problems, with fit and finish. He will only fit "Danskpart" heat exchangers to clients' vehicles, if the clients themselves, provide the heat exchangers (purchased from another supplier, such as German & Swedish, Volksparts, Volkswares, Euro Car Parts, etc.) and accept the financial penalties incurred, if and when problems occur with trying to fit them.

James Calvert, who is a recognised car mechanic and engineering workshop technician, specialises in the maintenance, overhaul, modification and performance tuning, of air-cooled engines, which are fitted to the 1972~83 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2s, 1968~75 VW 17/1800 Type 4 (i.e. VW 411 & 412) and 1969~76 VW-Porsche 914-4. For about the past 6 or 7 years, he has encountered the following problems, with "Danskpart" heat exchangers, for the aforementioned engines:

(1) Misalignment of heat exchanger, sheet steel shroud to the cooling-fan housings, of 1968~79 engines.

(2) Misalignment of heat exchanger, exhaust pipe flange connections, to the exhaust silencer, of 1968~83 engines.

(3) Inability to obtain a gas-tight seal (using a single, standard, copper sealing ring), between the heat exchanger exhaust manifold connections and the cylinder head exhaust ports, of the 1968~78 engines.

During the past year, approximately one third of all "Danskpart" heat exchangers, provided by James Calvert's customers, suffered one or more of the problems mentioned above, which is a much higher incidence of faults, than I would ever have foreseen!

In view of this recent information from James Calvert, I feel that all practical means (including contacting all British and overseas suppliers, if this has not already been done!) should be employed by Dansk Autopart A/S, to identify and iradicate these heat exchanger manufacturing faults. As I indicated in my two earlier letters, I shall continue to gather (within the constaints of my available resources) information and evidence, which hopefully will assist you in this task, but ultimately, it is the responsibility of Dansk Autopart A/S, to identify and resolve these manufacturing faults.

If circumstances inhibit the prompt (reasonably before the end of 1998!) resolution of these problems, it may be appropriate for me to provide copies of my correspondence and other relevant information, to the Central Information Service, of the British Trading Standards Offices, who have the resources to discretely investigate these heat exchanger faults and invoke the necessary provisions, of the Sale of Goods Act (British law pertaining to consumer protection), re goods which are deemed to be "unfit for purpose" and hence "not of merchantable quality".

In principle, this could lead to, the legally enforcable withdrawl from sale, of products which have proven to exhibit consistent faults (especially if potentially hazardous -e.g. carbon monoxide poisoning from a leaking exhaust system), plus the possible legal prosecution of British importers and suppliers. In addition to the national network of Trading Standards Offices, there also exist, The Consumer Association (publisher of WHICH magazine, plus other books and pamphlets) and various television consumer programmes (e.g. BBC Watchdog), who publicise poor quality goods and services, investigated by their television journalists; which recently included the Ford Motor Company.

I look forward to the final identification and iradication of these misalignment and sealing problems (to our mutual long-term benefit) and to receiving your reply, in the near future.

Yours sincerely.

Nigel A. Skeet

Enclosures:

Copies of correspondence received from Philip Read and Brian McCabe, during 1997.
Heat exchanger diagrams, illustrating various alignment and sealing problems.
Copy of my letter to Mr. Martin Pedersen, dated 8th May 1998.
Contact details of Mr. James Calvert, proprietor of Stateside Tuning, in Enfield, Middlesex, England.
Contact details of Mr. Alan Street, chief executive of the Institute of Trading Standards Administration, in Hadleigh, Essex, England.

As the onetime head, of the Fulmer Yarsley, Thermal Transmission Measurement Laboratory (a NAMAS Testing & Calibration accredited laboratory), which as part of our activities, undertook assessment and testing work, for various local Trading Standards offices within the United Kingdom, I was aware that The Institute of Trading Standards Administration, not far from my home town, would act as a central clearing house, for disseminating information to the all local Trading Standards offices, about products which were likely to infringe the Trading Standards. Hence, I sent a sent a letter to their chief executive as follows:

21st August 1998

Mr. Alan Street, F.I.T.S.A.
Chief Executive
The Institute of Trading Standards Administration
4/5 Hadleigh Business Centre
351, London Road
Hadleigh
Essex
SS7 2BT
England

Dear Mr. Street.

RE FAULTY EXHAUST HEAT EXCHANGERS FOR AIR-COOLED VOLKSWAGENS

Following an information seeking campaign and correspondence, lasting more than 5 years, I write to alert you, ITSA Ltd., British Trading Standards Offices and other national trading standards organisations, about a variety of manufacturing faults, which afflict exhaust heat exchangers, marketed my Dansk Autopart A/S (aka J. P. Group, Jopex Division), of Viborg, Denmark, in the United Kingdom and other countries, under the brand name "Danskpart".

Arising from articles and letters of mine, published last year, in the magazine of the Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club, recounting my own problems, in 1991 & 1993, with "Danskpart" exhaust heat exchangers, for a 1974 VW 1800 Type 2 Kombi van, I received unsolicited letters from two fellow VW Type 2 owners, recounting similar experiences, during 1997. At that stage, I had believed these faults to be sporadic and limited in scope, but since speaking with Mr. James Calvert, proprietor of Stateside Tuning, in Enfield, Middlesex, England, in mid-1998, I have learned that the incidence and scope of these faults, have been and continue to be, far more extensive than I ever imagined.

Owing to the long history (approximately 6 or 7 years!) and high incidence of problems with fit and finish, James Calvert now refuses to supply & fit, "Danskpart" exhaust heat exchangers. He will only fit "Danskpart" heat exchangers to clients' vehicles, if the clients themselves, provide the heat exchangers (purchased from another supplier, such as German & Swedish, Volksparts, Volkswares, Big Boys' Toys, Euro Car Parts, etc.) and accept the financial penalties incurred, if and when problems occur with trying to fit them. During the past year, approximately one third of all "Danskpart" heat exchangers, provided by James Calvert's customers, for this purpose, suffered one or more of the problems he mentioned.

One of the faults he recounted, related to the inability to obtain an adequate seal between the heat exchangers, exhaust manifold connections and the engines' cylinder head exhaust ports, which could potentially pose a carbon monoxide poisoning hazard to the vehicles' occupants.

So far, I am only aware of manufacturing faults, which affect the exhaust heat exchangers for the 1972~83 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2 vans, but being of a similar design, those for the 1968~75 VW 17/1800 Type 4 (i.e. VW 411 & 412) and 1969~76 VW-Porsche 914-4, may also be affected. It is conceivable, that "Danskpart" exhaust heat exchangers for other air-cooled VWs, may also suffer from a variety of faults.

After several years of research, I was finally able to learn the identity of Dansk Autoparts A/S and establish contact with their managing director, in January 1998. However, his response to my initial letter, indicated that the company had no knowledge of the faults and places onus on the purchaser, to return faulty goods diect to Dansk Autopart A/S, rather than via the UK supplier. My subsequent letter, dated 8th May 1998, which attempts to clarify confused points, has to date remained unanswered!

For your information and convenience, I enclose copies of my correspondence with Martin Pedersen, at Dansk Autopart A/S, plus a further draft letter and diagrams illustrating the nature of the faults, which have so far been documented. If you wish to discuss these issues, desire further information or clarification, do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely.

Nigel A. Skeet

##################################################################################

On 27th August 1998, I received the following letter from Mr. Alan Street, the chief executive of The Institute of Trading Standards Administration, in reply to my letter, dated 21st August 1998:

25th August 1998

Dear Mr. Skeet

Re: Alleged Faulty Exhaust Heat Exchangers

May I refer to and thank you for your letter dated 21 August on the above subject.

I am indeed sorry to learn of your problems and that it seems of others. From the information you have provided it would seem that there may be a regular manufacturing fault in the exchanger and therefore a problem that should be placed at the door of the manufacturer. I cannot I think be more positive than that in the interpretation of the facts because I have to assume that (and indeed there is evidence to support this view) not all exchangers are faulty.

From a trading standards viewpoint, there appears to be no breach of the criminal law that could allow my colleagues to take action. There are grounds however to consider that someone supplied with a faulty exchanger has rights under the Sale of Goods Act in that the product should be "fit for the purpose" and it seems that in some instances the article supplied is not capable of being correctly fitted to the vehicle without adjustment.

The difficulty which arises from this view is that the Sale of Goods Act is a piece of civil law and the authorities are not able to act in their own right. The Act relates to contract law and the enforcement authority will not be a party to any such contract. Furthermore, successful action against the supplier (who would be the British agent) would result in the buyer being able to recover the purchase price - it would not automatically and positively prevent the product being sold to other purchasers.

In the circumstances it seems to me that you have already acted to alert potential purchasers to what may be a problem.

It furthermore appears that a commercial fitter (James Calvert) is also taking steps to prevent himself being challenged in the Courts by requiring customers to buy the article from another source and accept that there may be additional costs incurred in the fitting that could be caused by a fault in the article. In those circumstances, I do not think that the customer would be able to take action against James Calvert even though there may be a fault in the manufacture of some of the exchangers.

I am able to place the data on file and should any colleague seek information from our in-depth compuerised files, they will get access to it under strict confidential cover but it will allow them to proceed with any investigation armed with relevant facts to avoid wasting time.

I am sorry that I cannot be more helpful on this occasion but I trust that I have explained why I cannot take the matter further.

Yours sincerely.

Alan Street
Chief Executive.

##################################################################################

Following the above reply, received on 27th August 1998, from Mr. Alan Street, the chief executive of The Institute of Trading Standards Administration, in reply to my letter, dated 21st August 1998, I sent a revised and updated version of that letter as follows, to BBC Watchdog, a well recocognised British television programme, which dealt with consumer affairs problems:

29th September 1998

Watchdog
BBC Television Centre
London
W12 7TS
England

Dear Watchdog

RE FAULTY EXHAUST HEAT EXCHANGERS FOR AIR-COOLED VOLKSWAGENS

Following an information seeking campaign and correspondence, lasting more than 5 years, I write to inform you, about a variety of manufacturing faults, which afflict exhaust heat exchangers, marketed my Dansk Autopart A/S (aka J. P. Group, Jopex Division), of Viborg, Denmark, in the United Kingdom and other countries, under the brand name "Danskpart".

Arising from articles and letters of mine, published last year, in the magazine of the Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club, recounting my own problems, in 1991 & 1993, with "Danskpart" exhaust heat exchangers, for a 1974 VW 1800 Type 2 Kombi van, I received unsolicited letters from two fellow VW Type 2 owners, recounting similar experiences, during 1997. At that stage, I had believed these faults to be sporadic and limited in scope, but since speaking with Mr. James Calvert, proprietor of Stateside Tuning, in Enfield, Middlesex, England, in mid-1998, I have learned that the incidence and scope of these faults, have been and continue to be, far more extensive than I ever imagined.

Owing to the long history (approximately 6 or 7 years!) and high incidence of problems with fit and finish, James Calvert now refuses to supply & fit, "Danskpart" exhaust heat exchangers. He will only fit "Danskpart" heat exchangers to clients' vehicles, if the clients themselves, provide the heat exchangers (purchased from another supplier, such as German & Swedish, Volksparts, Volkswares, Big Boys' Toys, Euro Car Parts, etc.) and accept the financial penalties incurred, if and when problems occur with trying to fit them. During the past year, approximately one third of all "Danskpart" heat exchangers, provided by James Calvert's customers, for this purpose, suffered one or more of the problems he mentioned.

One of the faults he recounted, related to the inability to obtain an adequate seal between the heat exchangers, exhaust manifold connections and the engines' cylinder head exhaust ports, which could potentially pose a carbon monoxide poisoning hazard to the vehicles' occupants. In many cases, the heat exchangers simply cannot be fitted at all, owing to misalignment with various parts of the engine and exhaust silencer (see enclosed illustration).

So far, I am only aware of manufacturing faults, which affect the exhaust heat exchangers for the 1972~83 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2 vans, but being of a similar design, those for the 1968~75 VW 17/1800 Type 4 (i.e. VW 411 & 412) and 1969~76 VW-Porsche 914-4, may also be affected. It is conceivable, that "Danskpart" exhaust heat exchangers for other air-cooled VWs, may also suffer from a variety of faults.

After several years of research, I was finally able to learn the identity of Dansk Autoparts A/S and establish contact with their managing director, in January 1998. However, his response to my initial letter, indicated that the company had no knowledge of the faults and places onus on the purchaser, to return faulty goods diect to Dansk Autopart A/S, rather than via the UK supplier. My subsequent letter, dated 8th May 1998, which attempts to clarify confused points, has to date remained unanswered!

Some may argue, that the air-cooled VWs have long been obsolete and will soon all be on the scrap heap, so what is the point of sorting out these problems. Such a view is belied by the feature about the VW Type 2s, on "The Car's The Star", presented by Quentin Wilson, the presence of Gertie (1970/71 VW 1600 Type 2 motorcaravan - registration No. GYF 685J) on the BBC 2 programme, "UK OK", presented by Katy Hill and the attendance at VW shows, throughout the UK and Europe; particularly Vanfest '98, during 19~20 September 1998. In addition, the VW Beetle and 1968~79 model VW Type 2, continue to be manufactured in Pueblo, Mexico and São Paulo, Brazil and are currently imported into the UK.

With these thoughts in mind, I contacted Mr. Alan Street, Chief Executive of The Institute of Trading Standards Administration, in the hope that they could discretely investigate the matter on a nationwide basis, bringing the "Sale of Goods Act" to bear, as appropriate, to inhibit the manufacture and sale of these expensive and potentially hazardous, faulty goods. Sadly, it seems that Trading Standards Authorities, are powerless to act in this case, owing to the "Sale of Goods Act", being a piece of Civil, Contract Law, rather than Criminal Law! This only provides redress for individuals, who have been supplied with faulty goods and are refused a refund and compensation for losses incurred.

To the best of my knowledge, exhaust heat exchangers, available for the air-cooled VWs, in the UK, are only manufactured, by Bosal, Dansk Autopart A/S and Volkswagen (or at least on their behalf). Recent information, from a fellow VW Type 2 owner, who previously had major problems with "Danspart" heat exchangers, indicates that Bosal heat exchangers, may also have their problems. I am also informed by Neil Birkitt, the editor of VW Motoring (a magazine with an International circulation, published by Warners Group Holdings), that Dansk Autopart A/S, are now rumoured (yet to be confirmed or denied by Volkswagen (GB) Ltd.) to manufacture the official replacement heat exchangers, for the VW Beetle, under contract to Volkswagen, so there is likely to be even greater incidence of problems, in the foreseeable future.

Consequently, it appears that the only way in which Dansk Autopart A/S and the UK retailers will be "persuaded" to irradicate these faulty goods, is as a result of vigorous investigation and adverse publicity (if appropriate!), from BBC Watchdog or other consumer interest groups, highlighting their laissez faire attitude. For your information and convenience, I enclose copies of my correspondence with Martin Pedersen, at Dansk Autopart A/S, plus diagrams illustrating the nature of the faults, which have so far been documented. If you wish to discuss these issues, desire further information or clarification, do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely.

Nigel A. Skeet

Enclosures:

Dansk Autopart A/S. company information, provided by the Danish Trade Legation, in London
Letter to Martin Pedersen, at Dansk Autopart A/S, dated 24th January 1998
Letter from Martin Pedersen, at Dansk Autopart A/S, received 27th February 1998
Letter to Martin Pedersen, at Dansk Autopart A/S, dated 8th May 1998
Letter to VW Motoring; published in July 1998 issue
Letter to Alan Street, at The Institute of Trading Standards Administration, dated 21st August 1998
Letter from Alan Street, at The Institute of Trading Standards Administration, received 27th August 1998
Engine cooling fan, heat exchanger & exhaust silencer illustrations

#######################################################################

This is one of the complaints, from William Barburton, in Great Britain, which was posted on the Type2.com forum

From: William Warburton <William.Warburton@let-it-be-thus.com>
To:
Date: Monday, 11th September 2000
Subject [T2] Heat exchangers (Dansk Rant)

Hi.

Well I spent Saturday morning replacing the left heat exchanger on my '77 pancake. Unable to find a German VW exchanger, I once again fell back on the Dansk one - is it possible that the fit quality has actually dropped since last time?

After filing the mating surfaces flat and working the thing into place, I found that:

(1) There is near zero clearance between the top of the exchanger and the engine mounting bracket.

(2) The silencer fitting holes, missed the studs by about 10mm (!), requiring a considerable amount of filing and general hackery, to get the system together at all

Although I was able to get the system assembled and sealed, I have very little confidence in its durability. In fact, I have a deep suspicion that the reason the exchanger failed, is that that it had to have similar treatment last time. The components are assembled under strain and as heat takes its toll, they are likely to fail. Compounding this, I think that the exchanger is probably striking the engine carrier, when the engine is under load, transferring strain to the mountings and the welds in the unit.

Does anyone have any suggestions, as to where to go from here?

Is there a better quality exchanger available, or is there some way I can modify the system to alleviate the problem? At the moment, I feel that I've wasted two days cobbling together a system that is so poor quality that I'll have to do it again in a few months. If I have to do this again, I want to be sure it's done right - I would expect that the vW exhaust/exchanger system should last at least five years

If I'd wanted that sort of grief, I wouldn't be running VWs!

Cheers.

W.

I persuaded William Warburton, to make direct contact with Dansk Autopart A/A, in the hope that they would come to realise, that these faults were quite widespread

From: William Warburton <William.Warburton@let-it-be-thus.com>
To: Martin Pedersen <info@jpgroup.dk>
Copy to: Nigel A. Skeet <naskeet@hotmail.com>
Date: Monday, 16th October 2000
Subject: Heat exchangers for 1977 VW Transporter

Dear Sir.

I am writing to you after a frustrating day spent trying to mount a Dansk manufactured heat exchanger to my 1977 VW Camper. I was particularly irritated that the component was an extremely poor fit because I was using it as a replacement for a Dansk manufactured exchanger which had failed after less than two years of service.

I would also like to make the point that failure of the previous part was such that considerable quantities of exhaust fumes were blown into the cab through the heating system: a dangerous situation, I'm sure you'll agree.

The component in quetion was sourced through Just Kampers, in the UK. A company that I have always found reputable. The engine is a 1970cc "CJ" prefix.

The exact nature of the fault, was that when the exchanger was offered up to the exhaust ports, the body was extremely close to the engine mounting crossbar, leaving no space for movement of the engine on its mounts and also making it necessary to carry out a substantial amount of modification to the mounting plates for the silencer, in order for it to be able to attach to the exchanger outlet. For the record, the opposite side exchanger is also a Dansk unit (less than two years old) and so there should have been no scope for incompatability.

I would also like to make clear, again for the record, that I would pay a premium for a good quality product. I appreciate that the VW heat exchanger is a complex component, which cannot be manufactured to high standards cheaply.

I am very disappointed with the quality of the parts in question and feel that I have been tolerant to the point of generosity, in buying a replacement for the failed part, from the company that manufactured it. However, unless I am convinced that there will be a significant (and much needed) improvement in the quality of these units, I can assure you that I will never purchase a Dansk manufactured component again and will continue to advise others to do the same.

I look forward to your response.

Yours sincerely.

William Warburton.

These are the contact details of another company, which I since learned, also manufacture exhaust heat exchangers & silencers, for air-cooled VWs:

TIMAX Exhaust Systems & Catalysts
Arvin Replacement Products Ltd.
Squires Gate Industrial Estate
Squires Gate Lane
Blackpool
Lancashire
FY4 3RN
England

Tel. (General) +44 (0) 1253 400 400
Fax. (General) +44 (0) 1253 406 475
Fax. (Accounts) +44 (0) 1253 402 164
Fax. (Product Marketing) +44 (0) 1253 361 028
Fax. (Sales & Marketing) +44 (0) 1253 401 181
Fax. (Technical) +44 (0) 1253 407 065

http://www.arvin-rp.com

Sometime before 18th October 2000, The company became known as Arvin Meritor Light Vehicle Aftermarket (Meritor being an American company)

In the past, the company had been known as T.I. Bainbridge, which was part of the T.I. (i.e. Tube Investments) Group of companies. Back in 1977 or before, they developed an experimental exhaust silencer (i.e. muffler, in USA parlance), called the Bainbridge HPB Minimiser, for which the back pressure was claimed to be the same as a straight, open exhaust pipe and the noise reduction being similar to a conventional exhaust silencer.
Last edited by Nigel A. Skeet on Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

calooker
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 77 SP

Re: Ill-fitting exhaust heat exchangers & silencers

Post by calooker »

Has anyone actually read the whole thing???? :D
For what it's worth, ignorance has no limits ......
eben
Site Admin
What model do you have?: None
Facebook: www.facebook.com/ebenve
Slovakia

Re: Ill-fitting exhaust heat exchangers & silencer

Post by eben »

Me :)
Nigel A. Skeet
Oil Stain

Post by Nigel A. Skeet »

Exhaust heat exchanger faults survey sheet

Known faults with Danskpart exhaust heat exchangers, from Dansk Autopart A/S, for 1972~79 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2

Known faults with Danskpart exhaust heat exchangers, from Dansk Autopart A/S, for 1980~83 VW 2000 Type 25 (i.e. Vanagon or T3)

ZeroAxe
Drive Train
What model do you have?: FUmobile

Post by ZeroAxe »

I have! Long read I know, but good to know that an individual would go through all this hassle for the benefit of everyone esle that would normally just "shut up and put up"......
VW Enthusiast
ImageImageImageImage
Nigel A. Skeet
Oil Stain

Post by Nigel A. Skeet »

If you have ever wondered why, genuine VW exhaust heat exchangers, provide more heat to the heater & demister system, than pattern-part, exhaust heat exhangers, this cut-away cross-section of some specimens, for a VW Type 1 style engine, featured in the following magazine article, should make the reasons more apparent:

Jim Tyler, "The Heat is On", VW Motoring, November 1998, Pages 38~41

ZeroAxe
Drive Train
What model do you have?: FUmobile

Post by ZeroAxe »

:shock: It is shocking. I cant imagine that VW would allow 'replacement parts' be manufactured to such a shameful quality. But then again, it is an open market, right? :evil:
VW Enthusiast
ImageImageImageImage
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

very interesting reading.... what has happened since then? Have the heaters been removed from the shops or are they still being sold? Has the design improved?
davetapson
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: Type 1's '63 and '66
Facebook: www.facebook.com/davetapson

Post by davetapson »

An ironic thing is that that it looks like the bore of the heater part of the vw part is bigger than the bore of the aftermarket part - although it looks like the bore of the manifold of the aftermarket part is bigger than the vw's.

Has anybody ever tried 'porting' a vw heater box? Personally I like to be warm in winter and would like a high flow heater box...
My project: http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 23&t=12543" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking for a splitscreen panelvan - have a year or two to find one. If you know of one, please let me know.
Tom Bishop
Single Port
What model do you have?: A Yellow 181
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1321084423

Post by Tom Bishop »

Ill fitting parts or not. At least repo parts are available.

I dont think that there are repo parts around that are the same quality or fit the same way as the originals.
”Experience is what you get when you do not get what you want”
Nigel A. Skeet
Oil Stain

Post by Nigel A. Skeet »

Tony Z wrote:very interesting reading.... what has happened since then? Have the heaters been removed from the shops or are they still being sold? Has the design improved?
Apart from two replies to my letters in Transporter Talk magazine and a single reply to my letter, "Heater Beater", in VW Motoring magazine, responses to my requests for information about air-cooled VW owners' experiences of poor-quality exhaust-system components, were few and far between. Hence, there is little more that I can do at present, to lobby the manufacturers to improve the quality of their products, until people overcome their apathy and provide me with details of the problems they have encountered; using my pro forma questionaire for guidance.

My second letter to Dansk Autopart A/S, resulted in no reply being received, so unless their management had a change of heart, I have no reason for optimism about product quality having been improved! I similarly doubt, whether the number and depth of heat-exchange fins has been increased, to match the original VW factory-fitted parts.

The reply from the Trading Standards Organisation, was most discouraging; indicating that in the event of purchasing faulty goods, each and every buyer would individually need to seek redress, through the civil courts (typically a small-claims court), if the supplier refused to refund payment, for returned goods. The fact, that a supplier could later legitimately resell, returned faulty goods, to another customer, was even more disturbing. Neither BBC Watchdog nor the Consumer Association (publisher of Which? magazine), replied to my subsequent letters.
davetapson wrote:An ironic thing is that that it looks like the bore of the heater part of the vw part is bigger than the bore of the aftermarket part - although it looks like the bore of the manifold of the aftermarket part is bigger than the vw's.

Has anybody ever tried 'porting' a vw heater box? Personally I like to be warm in winter and would like a high flow heater box...
The construction of some exhaust heat exchangers, is such that offsets would inhibit exhaust flow out of the engine cylinder and in extreme cases, might also promote significantly higher engine operating temperatures. Several years ago, when I was teaching in the Department of Engineering & Motor Vehicle Studies, at the South East Essex College of Arts & Technology, a colleague recounted a case to me, of an aircraft engine suffering a mysterious overheating problem, that was ultimately attributed to an exhaust pipe, repaired by internal sleeving, creating a stepped, flow restriction.
Tom Bishop wrote:Ill fitting parts or not. At least repo parts are available.

I dont think that there are repo parts around that are the same quality or fit the same way as the originals.
Reproduction parts, which will not physically fit or do not provide a gas tight seal, even when they do fit, are not particularly useful! In many cases I suspect, exhaust systems are put under strain, in order to fit them and consequently fail prematurely, owing to cracks and/or stress corrosion.

In the long term, it would probably be more cost effective, to have custom-made, stainless steel exhaust heat exchangers & silencers, if the reproduction parts, are not yet of satisfactory quality.