Info on 2.1 wc motor

Ask and give advice here
Phillip
Oil Pump
What model do you have?: 72 & 56 oval

Info on 2.1 wc motor

Post by Phillip »

Hey guys,can anyone give me some info on the 2.1 w/c,combi motors,,hows the power,is the parts avail easily,not sure what type it is,al i know 2.1 w/c,got if from the skoonpa,and want to fit this in my 72.any advice and info will be appreciated,thanx

Bugger
Advertiser
Advertiser
What model do you have?: a Few Models
Facebook: Pierre Bugger Eksteen

Re: Info on 2.1 wc motor

Post by Bugger »

Well Pics and info Re is it running
Has it got Carb or EFI??
What flywheel
INFO INFO

It is one of the best conversions you can do to a bug if you go W/C
Adapterplates Available for Rotary in Beetle and others aswell
And Special Boxes built for Rotary Conversions and Scubies
Pierre
082 600 8663

CLick on Banner Below to be routed to the Web site

Phillip
Oil Pump

Post by Phillip »

Hey bugger,i will post pics,tomorrow,the motor is in my girlfriends oval,hasnt been running for a long time,i know everything is there,i think its the carb,its got a funny looking carb on so im not sure if its carb or f/i,but if u say its a lekker motor,thats sweet cause its got everything,motor adaptorplates,flywheel radiator,etc,,,,hows the power on that motors,f/i and carb
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Oil on the driveway

Post by Pine »

That sounds like a cool conversion! But why do you need an adapter plate, a 2.1 w/c is the same dimensions (and straight fit) as a 1.6 a/c motor?
Phillip
Oil Pump

Post by Phillip »

thats even better,i thought it uses adaptor plate,never seen a conv like it before,so i really dont know,,will go and fetch the motor tomorrow,then ill have more info on it
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Oil on the driveway

Post by Pine »

Wasserboxers are quite unique engines - I don't have any experience on them, but I am quite fascinated by them..
The Volkswagen wasserboxer is a four cylinder horizontally opposed pushrod overhead valve (OHV) petrol engine developed by Volkswagen. The engine is water-cooled, and takes its name from the German: "wasserboxer"; which when translated into English, means "water-boxer" - or water-cooled boxer - with 'boxer' being an alternative name for a horizontally opposed engine. It was available in two displacements - either a 1.9 litre or a 2.1 litre; the 2.1 litre being a longer stroke version of the 1.9 litre, both variants sharing the same cylinder bore. This engine was unique to the Volkswagen Type 2 (T3) (Transporter T3 / Caravelle / Vanagon / T25), having never been used in any other vehicle. Volkswagen contracted Oettinger to develop a six-cylinder version of this engine. Volkswagen decided not to use it, but Oettinger sold a Volkswagen Type 2 (T3) equipped with this engine.

The wasserboxer featured a cast aluminium alloy cylinder block, cylinder heads, and pistons; and a die-forged steel flatplane crankshaft with three main bearings.

The wasserboxer, as with all Volkswagen boxer engines, directly drives the three-bearing camshaft via a small steel gear on the crankshaft, and a large aluminium one on the camshaft, so there is no timing belt or timing chain. The entire mechanism is internal to the engine, so there should be no concerns regarding wear or replacements, as long as the engine oil is changed regularly. The overhead poppet valves each feature two concentric valve springs, and are operated by pushrods, with adjustable rocker arms to facilitate valve clearance adjustment.

It also featured "Heron", or "bowl-in-piston" type combustion chambers - where the combustion takes place within the piston area, and not in a recess machined in the cylinder head.

The cylinder banks contain cast iron cylinder liners inserted into the crankcase surrounded by a water jacket, with a "rubber lip" style head gasket, which is a very different design as compared to most engines. The top of the cylinder liners is pressed into a recessed cut-out in the cylinder heads, that are sealed with compressible metal rings, to prevent leakage.

Some wasserboxers were plagued by water jacket gasket failures (often erroneously referred to as head gaskets) due to several design issues. Engine failure was also a result of poorly placed sensors, corrosion in the cooling system, and many areas subjected to leaks.

The switch to water-cooling for the boxer engines was made mid-year in 1982, because Volkswagen could no longer make the air-cooled engines meet emissions standards. (The previous generation Volkswagen Type 2 (T2), currently produced in Brazil, was changed to water-cooled engines since 23 December 2005 in response to Brazil's emission laws; the power plant used in the previous-generation T2 is an Audi-sourced inline four.) Water-cooled T2 models can be distinguished by a second radiator grille.
This one has fuel injection fitted - the whole thing is actually 'smaller' than an a/c motor, as it does not need any cooling tin

Bugger
Advertiser
Advertiser
What model do you have?: a Few Models
Facebook: Pierre Bugger Eksteen

Post by Bugger »

Well if it is in a bug at the moment then you basically need nothing.As you can use all the waterpipes radiator and do not have to worry about the exhaust even
Cooling is very critical on them
When you install and run for the first time make sure all waterpipes are full as these were tricky to bleed
Best is to have a return pipe from the top of the Radiator to the back of the motor to a pipe supplying the waterpump
Adapterplates Available for Rotary in Beetle and others aswell
And Special Boxes built for Rotary Conversions and Scubies
Pierre
082 600 8663

CLick on Banner Below to be routed to the Web site

Phillip
Oil Pump

Post by Phillip »

Thats some great info,thanx for the feedback guys,
Dark Cloud
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: 1973 Beetle 1600cc

Post by Dark Cloud »

I wish that were my motor, how much did it cost? I might pick it over the type 4 2.0L or 1.7L I want to buy next year because it looks like a really nice engine.
Phillip
Oil Pump

Post by Phillip »

i really dont know how much these motors go for,got the complete motor with radiator fans etc from the father in law.,,i must say i was gonna fit a golf motor in my beetle,but im more excited fitting the 2.1
Dark Cloud
Oil Stain

Post by Dark Cloud »

I would be as well, I wanted to fit a golf engine (2.0L 8V) as well but then I thought about having to put a new engine/deck lid and that made me change my mind. I would rather have a well maintained type 1 engine rather than ruining my beetles design by putting some hideous engine/deck lid. I would rather put that type 2 in my beetle rather than the golf engine so well done man!
Dark Cloud
Oil Stain

Post by Dark Cloud »

Hi Phillip

Hows it going with your Wasserboxer conversion? Is it carb or F/I model? :D Is there any cutting involved either than cutting the front apron to fit the radiator? Do you have to put spacers on the decklid or is it only for the Carburetor models? Let us know how it's going and good luck.
DR WATSON
Clutch
What model do you have?: 56,66,69,73,FLEET

Post by DR WATSON »

Looks like a cool project, just dont forget the pics as you progress. We all love pics :hangloose:
IM DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE!
calooker
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 77 SP

Post by calooker »

If you are running a carb then there is nothing that needs to be cut or reshaped it will bolt on with the right FW clutch combo.
With the stock EFI you will have some issues with the fuel rail/injectors as the will hit the side of the inside of the engine compartment.
For what it's worth, ignorance has no limits ......
Phillip
Oil Pump

Post by Phillip »

its the carb one,havnt done anything yet,still bussy with someone elses beetle,ill propeply (if the weather plays along)be finished by next week,then ill start on my beetle,will post pics on the progress as i go along