Advice needed on USA mild performance imports

Ask and give advice here
OD_1
Oil Seal
What model do you have?: 1976 1600S

Advice needed on USA mild performance imports

Post by OD_1 »

Hi Guys,

I'm planning on getting some stuff over from the states.

I've got a 1600S and i'm hoping to get it as close as possible to being 100% mechanically sound, while converting it to a mild performance engine.

At the moment everything is stock standard.

My sisters going over to the states and i was gonna use this opportunity to get some stuff that aren't easily available in South Africa.

My plan is currently to get the following:

[*] Tri Mil Euro 2-Tip Exhaust System for Bug, Black w/Chrome Tips

[*] Engle W Series Camshaft Kit, W-110 Master Kit:
-W110 Camshaft
-Lifters
-Single Hi-Rev Valve Springs
-Chromoly Retainers
-Heavy Duty Triple Groove Keepers
-Redline Synthetic Assembly Lube

[*] CB Performance Maxi Pump 2 - Oil Filter Pump

Before installing the above I'm gonna get the entire engine balanced and a counter weighted crankshaft installed.

Do you think this is an advisable purchase? Would you suggest any other components that I should upgrade while doing the above?

Would the rest of a stock beetle be able to handle the above upgrades? Would i have to upgrade something else as well?

Please advise. I need to start getting this ball rolling.

I appreciate all feedback :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Re: Advice needed on USA mild performance imports

Post by Tony Z »

you'd be better off going to Cowley and asking them to make up an exhaust for you
the rest looks good
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

dont forget HD pushrods
IMPI
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: sp2

Post by IMPI »

I am currently building just that except the cam is a W100 IMHO the 110 is too much cam for a daily driver.
Get a set of kadrons rather than the exhaust Tonyz is right there With both cams dual springs, retainers, and steel pushrods are overkill nice overkill but overkill just the same
Armand
Who cares how it's done in California? :twisted:
(018) 473-0186
OD_1
Oil Seal

Post by OD_1 »

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies...

My bug is currently a standard dual port 1600, with a Solex 34 Pict-3 carb... In the future i'd like to install dual carbs... I'm actually concerned whether the W110 might be to much for my application. My actual goal is to have a mild performance bug, that will easily reach 140km/h if need be, is as fuel efficient as possible, and climbs hills easier than a stock bug... Its gonna be used for a daily driver, but i love the outdoors and it'll have to be ready for long road travel as well as some minor off road (driving through Nature Reserves and such, not 4x4 trails)... So i'm still not sure whether to go with the Engle W100 or W110.

Most of the above is do-able with a standard beetle but i'm just trying to build a bug that does it without breaking a sweet. The slight overkill in performance parts is basically me using the precautionary principle - Better safe than sorry.

At the moment though my budget is a major concern...

I like the Tri Mil exhaust because its got a proven track record, there's even dyno test information available that proves that the drop in benefits from a 4-1 exhaust vs Tri Mil is very little on a stock dual port 1600 motor. I've tried Cowley, they no longer make up there own exhaust systems for beetles but stock Tuffex exhausts for R2,300 instead. The Tri Mil is gonna cost me way less than that and its gonna improve my ground clearance significantly, which is currently a major problem as i've got a low hanging single glass pack exhaust, and its old and has takin quite a beating in its lifetime.

DYNO TEST INFO >>> http://www.vwtrendsweb.com/tech/0109vwt ... index.html

The other thing i like about the Tri Mil is that it will definitely have enough room for me to use the CB Performance Oil Filter Pump, i currently dont have the buget for a remote oil filter pump setup...

Thanks for reminder TonyZ, i added the HD Push rods to my list of things to get... However i'm not sure what i'm suppose to be looking for, on the So Cal Imports website i have the following two options that are within budget.

Engle Pushrods, Chromoly, 3/8 dia., .035 Wall Thickness, 11.500 Un-Cut Length @ $60
http://www.socalautoparts.com/engle-cam ... 16274.html

Aftermarket Pushrod, Heavy Duty x 8 @ $56
http://www.socalautoparts.com/aftermark ... 12515.html

Thanks for all the info so far guys, please let me know if you have any other ideas to share and what your over all thoughts are on my proposed purchase.

PEACE :mrgreen:
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

OD_1 wrote:Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies...

I like the Tri Mil exhaust because its got a proven track record, there's even dyno test information available that proves that the drop in benefits from a 4-1 exhaust vs Tri Mil is very little on a stock dual port 1600 motor. I've tried Cowley, they no longer make up there own exhaust systems for beetles but stock Tuffex exhausts for R2,300 instead. The Tri Mil is gonna cost me way less than that and its gonna improve my ground clearance significantly, which is currently a major problem as i've got a low hanging single glass pack exhaust, and its old and has takin quite a beating in its lifetime.

DYNO TEST INFO >>> http://www.vwtrendsweb.com/tech/0109vwt ... index.html
thats for a stock engine... you are planning an engine capable of double the stock power or more.... thats where the exhaust will come into play.

If you not going to go for twin carbs yet, then you need to re-think the cam, the 100 will be plenty with a stock carb.
OD_1
Oil Seal

Post by OD_1 »

I hear what your saying Mr.Z and to tell u the truth after reading up on the "W110 vs W100" forum threads on the internet my mind started swaying from the cam, lifters and pushrods towards a dual carb kit instead...

Would've loved 40 IDFs, but cant afford it so i'm starting to think about 34 ICTs...

I have to get a new oil filter and exhaust. Would've loved an extractor and a dual quite pack muffler but don't think they'll make my budget or the size restrictions regarding checked baggage. Hope that the Tri-Mil exhaust is not gonna be to much of a bottle neck to the dual carb system... If i change my mind on the exhaust, then i'm gonna have to change my mind on the oil filter too... then i'm right back at square one.

For for the meantime is kinda a battle between cam or dual carb upgrade.

:mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

OD_1 wrote: Would've loved 40 IDFs, but cant afford it so i'm starting to think about 34 ICTs...
I know of a set that needs refurbishing that might be for sale for the right price. :mrgreen:
OD_1 wrote: For for the meantime is kinda a battle between cam or dual carb upgrade.
one or the other.... carbs, then you can cam later if you want more
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

I think take the carbs 1st. :wink:

Then see how you go.

Fitted twin 34ICT's on my fastback, with type4 motor, they work fantastic, best thing I did for the car. :D

And they economical. :shock:

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
IMPI
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: sp2

Post by IMPI »

Hi A lot of vintage racers had class limits on what could be done on the cars when rallying Porsche salsbug sponsored rally beetles back in the day and had 140 hp on 1600 engines they gutted the inside of the muffler and added taper tip tail pipes.
For reasonable cost my suggestion would be
set of Kadron or similar even SP carbs are great when properly set up
get a local company to regrind your cam to W 100 spec ie about 276 degrees
by all means get the crank counterweighted and 8 doweled with the flywheel you want to use reduse the mass of the flywheel by the amount that you added to the crank when the counterweights were added.
regrind the stock lifters by the same guys as the cam
Pushrods your choice as well as springs (for this motor new std springs would be more than enough)
look to THT for a very nice branch then copy the old cowly exhaust setup with a nice 50mm silencer next to one tappet cover
electronic ignition from a wbx engine will be an asset
Fly cut the heads about 1.5mm and mildly port as per the bill fisher How to hotrod your VW.
Spend money on a new gland nut for insurance
lastly go with that filter pump and use a late model polo oil filter with the integral nut for ease of use
You will be amased at the difference in performance. this combination will also be relatively happy with the stock carb You will not
Armand
Who cares how it's done in California? :twisted:
(018) 473-0186
Edmond
Valve
What model do you have?: 1973 Baja Bug

Post by Edmond »

That's some solid advice from Armand.
I plan on doing the same when my finances improve.
I have a nice SS Baja 4 in 1 exhaust for when the time is right and a decent cam that will get ground to C25 spec by Camtech in Gauteng
OD_1
Oil Seal

Post by OD_1 »

Hi Guys,

Thanks all once again for the info. I've had some time to think, and i've thought bout it hard and long, and i've decided to drop the camshaft upgrade and go with the dual carbs instead.

So what i'm planning on getting now is the following:
[*]Tri Mil Euro 2 Tip Exhaust - Its an improvement over stock and its got the best ground clearance in my price range as well as supports the oil/filter pump.
[*]CB Performance Maxi 2 oil filter pump possibly with waffer adapter- Good Quality, Easy install, cheap, can install thermostat and oil cooler later if needed
[*]34mm Dual ICT with Hex Bar Linkage
[*]Heavy Duty Gland Nut (Gene Berg or Bug Pack)
[*]Electric Ignition or distributor upgrade.

So the above is my new purchase list, i'm under the impression that if you upgrade to dual carbs you have to change your distributor. This led me to thinking i should just upgrade the whole ignition to electrical ignition. I was hoping to get rid of the points and condenser system. Is this advisable. I found a OEM VW Electric ignition set that CB Performance supplies, lemi know what you think about it.

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1840

Heres a different one in the same price bracket.

http://www.socalautoparts.com/compu-fir ... 16276.html

Otherwise, what ignition and other changes would you recommend when upgrading to Dual Carbs.

:mrgreen:
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

the cb ignition kit is the same as the 1900 waterboxer kit we in SA have been running for years. I dont know anything about the other system.
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Have found this VWC-043-905-205-EL - ELECTRONIC ALL-IN-ONE VACUUM ADVANCE (SVDA) DISTRIBUTOR - COMPLETE - ALL 12VOLT AIRCOOLED ENGINES, got it in from CIP1 and fitted it with the Weber 34ICT's. The beauty of this unit is that it is a truly "Plug & Play", fit it connect two wires on either side of the coil, and you off.
This motor is running like a dream, has no chock, but has started each and every time, even in the coldest morning.
They are having a 20% off at this moment on http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... 905-205-EL
But please shop around, as you will probably get it cheaper elsewhere.
Last edited by retrovan on Tue May 29, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

now that looks like a winner.
Dont forget to remove the fuel pump as I doubt this dizzy will fit with the fuel pump in place.