Brake suggestions please!

Ask and give advice here
camperman
Drip

Brake suggestions please!

Post by camperman »

I do not use my 65 bug for everyday travel. This morning I had to take the boerboel to the vet and seeing as I use the beetle as my bakkie, it was his turn to face the heavy traffic in beyers naude. But...my brakes are mmm suspect. It grabs very badly in front and I can get it to skid even going very slowly! Luckily the other guy could stop this morning, but the embarrassment was not nice . . . brakes screaming tend to make people take a look!

Anyway, if I am to use this car in Jozie I will have to upgrade the brakes. What about getting disks in front? Any idea how much this will be and where is the best place to buy? At present I have brand new drums in front as well as brake lines, pads, cylinders etc. It still grabs badly and shudder heavily. I am thinking that the shoes from Midas does not fit the new alpha drums precisely and is just grabbing on its edges. Any experience with this?

calooker
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 77 SP

Post by calooker »

It is important to get shoes & drums to set in to each other a bit, if everything is new it is likely things have not as yet set in, take it for a drive, while driving at about 50-60 apply brakes lightly with your left foot, leave your foot on the gas pedal keep driving don't come to a stop, do it a few times, it is a bit tricky but will help speed up the bedding of drums & shoes, if the standard brake system is set up right it will be enough for your standard bug, but if you need more peace of mind, disks is your answer you will not regret it, it will seem as if your bug has ABS no more fading, adjusting and worst of all pedal to the floor.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

discs, only way to go in my books, love em, refer to the other brake post...

http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/forum/vi ... .php?t=129
vader
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: TieFighter
Location: Help!I don't know where I am. Its dark & I can hear voices...

Post by vader »

Ditto
"My other ride is your SeatCover! & She loves it!"
Sometimes you'r the statue, sometimes your the pigeon.
"Only the dead go free..." Roger Waters.
"You do not understand the power of the DarkSide" Darth Vader.