New Members - Introduce yourself..

Post general ACVW topics here
Forum rules
If its not ACVW related, post it in Off Topic.
greenviper
Drip
What model do you have?: scirocco

Re: New Members - Introduce yourself..

Post by greenviper »

hi Guys,

great to come across your forum on the net,
im a huge vw fan have decided to try and locate myself a beetle, there are so many options available, is there a link on the site to the history/modifications/facelifts of beetles in south africa? i am still deciding which one to persue, but it might either be an SP, or an early seventies model, preferebly 1600, and on with the opening rear side windows and the "tombstone" look rear lights. can anyone perhaps help in telling me in which years were the SP models available, and in which years were the "tombstone" lights with opening rear side windows available,

my mom used to have a '73 deluxe i believe, and it had those lights with the opening windows, would like to find a similar one to restore for her.

regards
Grant

matshane.phora
Drip
What model do you have?: 1973

Post by matshane.phora »

Hello Everyone, Im new on this forum, my name its Matshane.I drive a 1973 Beetle 1600s. I must congratulate you guys for great forum. Speaking of which, guys I have a bug on my beetle, oil leaks, took it to some "self-proclaimed" beetle master in kempton park(norken park), guys going by the name "beetle people", it got even worse, the leaking its worser than before and it even had clutch problems now, which garage/mechanics do you prefer around kempton park...need an urgent fix...!!
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

Welcome all newbies!

Matshane, this is the place to get info about the best ACVW mechanics and parts suppliers. :hangloose:
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
CDR693X
Drip
What model do you have?: 1965 Beetle
South Africa

Post by CDR693X »

Hi I am Mervyn Naicker and a new member. I have just bought a 1965 neglected non runner. I am an ardent VW supporter having owned 6 Aircooled Models of different years but always wanted a Pre 1970 car but it was always out of reach. Now that I have got one it is gonna keep me busy for a long while as I am looking forward to actually driving this baby. Good forum keep up the good work with regards to the advice it is invalueable
The Rob
Drip
What model do you have?: 1977 Beetle

Post by The Rob »

Hi Guys,

My name is Robert, from Pretoria. Just came across the forum while searching for info on my Beetle. I picked up my beetle from my dad’s house on Friday, it’s been parked under a tree and neglected for the last 5 years. It's in a bad state, rusted, motor in pieces, interior has taken a beaten. It was my very first car, after spending many many hours being a waiter at Saddles I managed to save enough and bought it when I was 16. Spent some more hours working and redid the motor with my dad. If I can pay homage to my father, he worked at Superwagen from 1973 to 1977. He says he can’t remember how many beetle engines her has built in his life. They were contracted to build 4 a day and one extra for bonus, he still remembers all the torque specs and sequences, nice guy to have around when you’re 18 and get stuck. Anyway my sister used the car about 5 years ago and ran it without oil and seized the engine, so since then it stood and rusted under a tree. I have the car in a garage now and I am hoping to restore it to its former glory. I’d like to get it as trick as the bugs I read about in VW trends Magazine many moons ago.

Thanks in advance for all the help...... cos I’m gonna need it! Oh yes, I have 1977 Beetle
Loopy
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: Beach Buggy

Post by Loopy »

Hi there!

Another brak from Brackenfell saying hello, joined some time ago, but only bought a beach buggy this past weekend, and got it tonight! Will definitely be asking lots of questions, as this is my first AC VW, previously owned a Jetta Gli and then the 16V Cli, my mother's first car was a Beetle, and my brother had a Beetle SP, so the VW's have been a part of the family for a while.

Looking forward to many happy miles with the bug!
"What I would suggest is that you draw up a project plan and then prioritise the things you NEED to do linked to the budget you have." by Vader
Truer words have never been spoken...
ST Man
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: 59 Samba Splitty

Post by ST Man »

Hi to all

Thanx to Eben for welcoming me to forum in PM. I am Leon from Pretoria. I dont own any VW's at this point but do have 911 or two... I am planningto buy a splitty at some point so I joined forum to see what is going on out there. I have been wanting a splitty for many years now but my Porsches were taking all the money I had...and have..
My ideal bus would be a 15 window with a walk through front seat. Safari windows and Pop out side window all the way. A rear roof rack for with coke cooler and two tone paint with Samba trim. Cant believe I could hav bought one for R2000 and left it....
Learned to work on cars because I wanted a Porsche and could not afford it. So I bought a rust bucket and fixed it.
Hope to learn and meet nice people
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I never though I would ever get a Samba!!
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

That's not a bad looking rust bucket that I see.....

Welcome to the forum.
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
SouL
Oil Pump
What model do you have?: Jenna Jameson

Post by SouL »

Hi All

Can't explain the excitement when I found this website!

I bought my 1600 single port beach buggy about 4yrs ago and ever since then have been slowly fixing it up. It's my project I have taken on to do when I have the free time, not forgetting money..which this project seems to be one big black hole that enjoys emptying my bank account. I live in Randburg JHB, bought the bug to use down at our holiday home when we go on holiday but that dream came to an end when Mother nature decided to wash our holiday home out to see...none the less I've decided not to give up on my buggy and probably the only idiot that will be seen from time to time riding around JHB in a Beach buggy.

I really hope to gain a lot of knowledge and contacts with guys passionate as I am over buggies and hope you all won't lose patience with me as I have a ship load of questions to ask and help needed to complete my bug as I would like it.

Work done:
New Fibre glass floor pan
Wiring redone
Replaced old rust fuel tank
New master cylinders
New slave cylinder
New break lining
New Carburettor
King ping and link pin
replaced gearbox

Still to do:
Spray job
re-upholster interior
Strip and clean motor
Re-seat valves
Check compression
electric ignition
High volume oil pump
40 down draft Performance carburettor
oil filter
Replace gearbox thrust bearing
Shorter Gear changer lever
(so If any of you can help with any of these above, let me know.
To date I've been getting all my spares from volkspares and Van der Brink motors in Kya Sands, has been doing all the service work, so if there are cheaper places out there and service garages worth trying out please post or PM me )

Peace out!

Pic of my Bug before I bought it...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SouL on Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jolas
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: '65 Kombi

Post by jolas »

8) welcome to all the new guys
by fig » Mar 26, 2018
Sambas in South Africa are good for only 2 things: showing off and sunburn.
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Oil on the driveway

Post by Pine »

Welcome everyone! :welcome:

SouL, was your buggy at the Oudtshoorn Air Field last week during the Radio Control Aeroplane nationals?

:arrow: http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 71&t=22558
SouL
Oil Pump
What model do you have?: Jenna Jameson

Post by SouL »

Pine wrote:SouL, was your buggy at the Oudtshoorn Air Field last week during the Radio Control Aeroplane nationals?
Hay there and thanks for all the welcomes....No that's definately not my buggy...I still have the orginal beetle motor :wink:
Bugger
Advertiser
Advertiser
What model do you have?: a Few Models
Facebook: Pierre Bugger Eksteen

Post by Bugger »

HI All new FACES :lol: welcome to the Forum and dont be shy to ask Questions
Adapterplates Available for Rotary in Beetle and others aswell
And Special Boxes built for Rotary Conversions and Scubies
Pierre
082 600 8663

CLick on Banner Below to be routed to the Web site

BARON
Clutch

Post by BARON »

Welcome new guys,

Leon an a/c Porsche is just a vw that went on steroids developed an attitude about it and drifted away from the family tradition. You will notice the similarity between the two when you spend time with them .
Im also a 911 owner and to be honest my grand son and myself enjoys the beach buggy just as much as the “P”.
I started the “P” thing with a 930 cabriolet kit car but lost in a fire so I m building up strength for another one.
I think the ultimate car for us would be the 912 then you sit in both camps.
Cheers baron
BTW Nice Porsche ----but then they are allllllllll nice.
flyingripper
Drip
What model do you have?: 1600 Beetle

Post by flyingripper »

Hi Guys,

I am from Pretoria - Currently rebuilding a VW 1600 beetle. I am strugling to get hold of some parts, and hope there are some of you that can help me. I need the following: (for a good price natually ;-)
Piston and sleeve kit
4x SE Bushes (Conrods)
1x Main Bearing Set
- OD = 1.5
- ID = 0.5
- Mains 4x 020”
- Big Ends 4x 0”20”

I am based in Pretoria. Any idea where I can source these?

Regards
Petrus Britz
082 491 4542
ARELI Automotive Services