Bottom End Overhaul

Non ACVW models.
Hloni
Exhaust Pipe
What model do you have?: It was a '75.

Bottom End Overhaul

Post by Hloni »

Hi guys, I am busy preparing for a bottom end overhaul of my ZC code AUDI/VW engine. This engine came out of my 1500 Audi 80 GL. Oil pump lost pressure after I replaced cylinder head gasket (I doubt the two are related, but just explaining why I am not doin the top end now - done already before pump played up).

My biggest question is what should I look at replacing now that the whole motor is out. This is what I have on my list:
1. Big End bearings
2. Main bearings
3. All rings
4. Oil pump
5. Bottom end gaskets

What engineering work should I look into and what am I expecting to pay (I understand it differs from shop to shop, but an idea will be great)?

Thanx guys for your advice. I know that many of you here play with waterpumpers, and the Golf motors seem to be getting popular by the day.

"Volkswagen customers want a relationship with their cars. Names like The Thing, Beetle, Fox, and Rabbit support this" - Kerri Martin
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Re: Bottom End Overhaul

Post by Tony Z »

take it apart first and see if it is fixable. Did you bend a conrod? If yes, the engine is possibly a throw away unit.
The crank and rods will definitely need to be sent in to check for straightness and maybe bearing surfaces skimmed to an undersize - can you get undersize bearings?
Pistons might be re-usable, or might need replacing
you will need top end gaskets too

Take it apart and take it from there...
IMPI
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: sp2

Post by IMPI »

Hi there the Passat engine is relatively easy to overhaul but be prepared to strip the whole engine as the pistons can only be removed from the cylinderhead side. The 1500 engine wasnt as strongly built as the later 1600 and featured a weaker block as well as plenty differences internally to later engines.
You should plan on having the block tanked to remove sediment from water pasages replace all welsch plugs and replace the bearings for the intermediate shaft.
the waterpump will be suspect as well as the thermostat and housings
all bearings as probably the pistons and oil pump and pick up

G&H auto spares in Klerksdorp probably could supply some NOS parts such as pistons if you cant find any
018 4620141.
I have a 82-3 1600 passat engine (complete but unknown) and a 5 speed 4+e gearbox which I planned to use in my passat but eventually decided against. I did this before and whilst mods are required it is a fairly easy install. R2000 and its yours the only thing missing is the air filter and module for the electronic ignition.
Armand
Who cares how it's done in California? :twisted:
(018) 473-0186
Hloni
Exhaust Pipe
What model do you have?: It was a '75.

Post by Hloni »

Thanx guys. The beautiful thing is engine is apart already, I did not run it when oil light came on, it was still in the yard after the top end overhaul. Gasket was blown.

The bearings had some wear on them, so those getting replaced, and maybe get crank polished rather.

I am tempted by Impi's offer I must say, as the current box as you know is a 4 speed, bit of a screamer at 120kph but lovely in city driving. Impi, 2K for motor and box? What sort of mods are involved?
"Volkswagen customers want a relationship with their cars. Names like The Thing, Beetle, Fox, and Rabbit support this" - Kerri Martin
IMPI
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: sp2

Post by IMPI »

Fitting the 5 speed box to an earlier passat is not overly difficult.
There is a plate that sits above the gearbox which must be clearanced (this plate does not have any function on later passats and audis but was part of the gearlever mount on early cars (The distinction is that later cars had a short gearlever mounted in a white plastic ball whereas older models had a gearlever like a beetle :) )
On early cars you will have to modify the body quite a bit but a 75 should be ok.
All the mountings cable wires every thing lines up but the rearmost mounting makes the gearbox sit to high fouling the body despite the removal of this plate mentioned earlier so the mounting holes need to be re drilled slightly lower about 1cm this affects the engine by slightly lowering the rear of the gearbox I did not have any issues whatsoever with this. Connecting the gearlever is straight forward but you need the gearlever assembly of the mk 2 passat 5 speed otherwise the reverse lockout on the fourspeed interferes with the 5the gear and you battle with proper selection. again all of this just bolts on.
The later 1600 engines also had a smaal clutch like the 1500 but the flywheel was machined to thake the larger clutch of the 1800 and it was a bolt on job to add the later clutch which I needed for the 1915cc GTi engine I fitted in 1992 to my passat ls coupe
Armand
Who cares how it's done in California? :twisted:
(018) 473-0186
vader
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: TieFighter
Location: Help!I don't know where I am. Its dark & I can hear voices...

Post by vader »

Well your first problem is all that WATER!!!!

I can give you the number of a good Proctologist.... Its the same one Mince and MTN use... :D
"My other ride is your SeatCover! & She loves it!"
Sometimes you'r the statue, sometimes your the pigeon.
"Only the dead go free..." Roger Waters.
"You do not understand the power of the DarkSide" Darth Vader.