Help the noob with some specs?

Post general ACVW topics here
Forum rules
If its not ACVW related, post it in Off Topic.
Sharkbait
Drip
What model do you have?: baja

Help the noob with some specs?

Post by Sharkbait »

Hi guys.
Apologies if this has already been covered, if it has maybe someone maybe post the link to it, but I've been searching through the forums and the net for some answers but I haven't found anything definitive.
I'm buying a Baja with a 1600tp engine in it that will either be replaced outright or simply tweaked over time for performance - fuel consumption's not an issue at this stage.
What sort of power and torque does that engine make in standard tune, at what RPM, and what is the maximum RPM they're capable of (reliably)? I mentioned in the 'introduce yourself' section that my background's Japanese turbo'd monsters, and as much as I love the acvw mills I'm a bit out of my depth regarding the specs and what they're capable of.

Bugger
Advertiser
Advertiser
What model do you have?: a Few Models
Facebook: Pierre Bugger Eksteen

Re: Help the noob with some specs?

Post by Bugger »

Hi

What is your aim drags street racing or what and what buget do you want to spend then we might be able to answer some of your Q`s
Adapterplates Available for Rotary in Beetle and others aswell
And Special Boxes built for Rotary Conversions and Scubies
Pierre
082 600 8663

CLick on Banner Below to be routed to the Web site

vader
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: TieFighter
Location: Help!I don't know where I am. Its dark & I can hear voices...

Post by vader »

and before Blitz asks post some pic's
"My other ride is your SeatCover! & She loves it!"
Sometimes you'r the statue, sometimes your the pigeon.
"Only the dead go free..." Roger Waters.
"You do not understand the power of the DarkSide" Darth Vader.
bugspray
Floorpan
What model do you have?: 71 Westy + 74beetle
Facebook: http://m.facebook.com/profile.php?r0d306f00&refid=7
South Africa

Post by bugspray »

Isnt it 45killer watts std?
More than meets the eye!
AirPower
Clutch
What model do you have?: 2008 Buggy

Post by AirPower »

These are from the Bill Fisher book:

1966 - 1285 cc - BHP 50 (SAE) 40 (DIN)
1967 - 1493 cc - BHP 53 (SAE) 44 (DIN)
1970 - 1584 cc - BHP 57 (SAE) 47 (DIN) with twin carbs - BHP 65 (SAE) 54 (DIN)

Most references I've found say - RPM - 5000 reliably with bursts up to 5500 is OK.

That what you're looking for?
Mario
Eben said: "ACVW's are made of logic."
Bugger said: "I am happy with the drum brakes when done right as this will be used rarely"

"If it can't be fixed with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem" said by someone.
Sharkbait
Drip

Post by Sharkbait »

Thanks Mario, that's exactly what I was after :)

To the other guys - pics will be posted soon, though I have a couple of low res ones I could put up in the meantime, the last thing that needs to be done is before I actually buy it is to have a good look to make sure there's no bad rust anywhere that wasn't in any of the usual places so, I'd rather wait til then and not jinx it. Lol!
There's lots of little things that need fixing. For example the interior's really dodgy, complete with old Toyota Corolla seats :bn: <- I love this smiley by the way :mrgreen:

The budget is pretty much whatever it needs to be, it's a project that will be a daily driver so I'm not setting any real limitations other than common sense to that.
As for it's intended use, I don't street race anymore, somewhere along the way I got a bit too paranoid about taking out some poor bugger who might be in the wrong place at the wrong time. If I do ever drag it it'll be at a track but for the most part it's going to be purely for my own entertainment and a fun drive, though I want it to be capable of dirt track racing and handling sand roads well. Nothing beats sand in a RWD with a well sorted suspension set up and enough power to streer on the throttle :hangloose:
vader
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: TieFighter
Location: Help!I don't know where I am. Its dark & I can hear voices...

Post by vader »

Here is my 2 Imperial Credits.....

I like this smiley by the way...
:flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash:

:twisted:

I would go for a mild motor 94mm pistons with 74mm crank making it nice and torque'y and over the 2l capacity, twin carbs (cause as everyone knows twins are always more fun :flash: :twisted: ) Mild cam 110 or the likes, aux oil filter, drilled for full flow oil, electronic ignition and you can play with ration rockers and HD springs and push rods. I would not recommend the aux oil sump as you are planning on going off road and might stick a rock threw it. :shock:

But hay half the fun is in the planning....
"My other ride is your SeatCover! & She loves it!"
Sometimes you'r the statue, sometimes your the pigeon.
"Only the dead go free..." Roger Waters.
"You do not understand the power of the DarkSide" Darth Vader.
Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: none

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Sharkbait wrote:Thanks Mario, that's exactly what I was after :)

To the other guys - pics will be posted soon, though I have a couple of low res ones I could put up in the meantime, the last thing that needs to be done is before I actually buy it is to have a good look to make sure there's no bad rust anywhere that wasn't in any of the usual places so, I'd rather wait til then and not jinx it. Lol!
There's lots of little things that need fixing. For example the interior's really dodgy, complete with old Toyota Corolla seats :bn: <- I love this smiley by the way :mrgreen:

The budget is pretty much whatever it needs to be, it's a project that will be a daily driver so I'm not setting any real limitations other than common sense to that.
As for it's intended use, I don't street race anymore, somewhere along the way I got a bit too paranoid about taking out some poor bugger who might be in the wrong place at the wrong time. If I do ever drag it it'll be at a track but for the most part it's going to be purely for my own entertainment and a fun drive, though I want it to be capable of dirt track racing and handling sand roads well. Nothing beats sand in a RWD with a well sorted suspension set up and enough power to streer on the throttle :hangloose:
Bajaman :twisted: ,

Looky here for a wicked Baja

:arrow: http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... =5&t=11066

He is running a cool engine as well. :hangloose:
If it's too low, you're too old :twisted:
Sharkbait
Drip

Post by Sharkbait »

vader wrote:
But hay half the fun is in the planning....
Yeah, that's true 8)