Help rescue a Bay Camper - please

Post general ACVW topics here
Forum rules
If its not ACVW related, post it in Off Topic.
didi
Valve
What model do you have?: 1970 SO67R T2
South Africa

Post by didi »

Here is a better photo of the Box I made to house the oil filter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_______
|©¯¯©|
fig wrote: Isn't the favourite game of all humanity, "I'm right, you're wrong; let me fcuk you up!"
didi
Valve
South Africa

Post by didi »

I used some high density foam to make a engine seal similar to the type IV. Do you guys think it will work?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
_______
|©¯¯©|
fig wrote: Isn't the favourite game of all humanity, "I'm right, you're wrong; let me fcuk you up!"
didi
Valve
South Africa

Post by didi »

The Westy had a flower attack on the drivers sideImage
_______
|©¯¯©|
didi
Valve
South Africa

Post by didi »

Made a new panel for the rear hatch. It had rotten pieces of wood attached with rusty old screws.
I made a template with cardboard and then traced it on masonite. I then used the foam and material to cover it. Here's the end result:Image
_______
|©¯¯©|
didi
Valve
South Africa

Post by didi »

Installed new poptop roof toggles tonight ImageImage
_______
|©¯¯©|
jolas
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: '65 Kombi

Re: Help rescue a Bay Camper - please

Post by jolas »

Hi Diedrich, I like that bracket in the second photo, I don't have complete faith in the originals, have had one or two scary experiences in the past.....
Did you make it up yourself or are they readily available over the counter ?
Cheers
by fig » Mar 26, 2018
Sambas in South Africa are good for only 2 things: showing off and sunburn.
didi
Valve
South Africa

Post by didi »

Jolas, I brought the kits in from the bus depot in the USA when I ordered a bunch of stuff. The packaging they arrived in, is from Justkampers in GB.
I used my old metal pieces and just replaced the rubber part. I have never driven with a poptop. What is so scary? Does it want to become airborne?
I put my new valid license disc on the front window tonight, and put the number-plates on the bus.
Last edited by didi on Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_______
|©¯¯©|
didi
Valve
South Africa

Post by didi »

I got to insure the bus because it's going to start running on the road. Do I do a 3rd party, fire and theft? How would I know what the replacement value is?
_______
|©¯¯©|
didi
Valve
South Africa

Post by didi »

The Westy at Dirk's workshopImageImage
_______
|©¯¯©|
jolas
Donor
Donor

Post by jolas »

My 2 roofmounted hinge/brackets became quite worn over the years with the result that the roof would rise slightly, especially when a bus or truck came passed from the opposite direction. I also did'nt have the rubber seal that wraps around the sides and front of the roof, always found that to be quite ugly. Anyway a truck came passed me from the front on a narrow road one day and the roof did lift off, broke away from one of the bracket/hinge thingys, did'nt fly away though as the canvass kept it back. Had a hell of a fright though. The car behind me nearly left the road as well, probably anticipating the roof coming clean off.
Made 2 new hinge brackets, replaced the seal, but I'm not happy with the original internal fasteners.
Some westys have a "hook" mounted on the front of the kombi's roof (under the fiberglass roof, can't be seen unless you look under the fiberglass roof), when you lower the roof, it makes contact with another fastener which prevents the roof from lifting from the front - will try find some pics. Easiest way to check on your bus is to look for 2 rivet heads on the front/middle area of the fiberglass roof (i.e just above the windscreen).
Replacement value : I regularly save ads on Gumtree for later reference, and work out an average value from that - or even better, check out the classifieds in Volksworld or Just Campers :lol:
Congrats on getting your bus on the road Didi :hangloose:
by fig » Mar 26, 2018
didi
Valve
South Africa

Post by didi »

jolas wrote:Hi Diedrich, I like that bracket in the second photo, I don't have complete faith in the originals, have had one or two scary experiences in the past.....
Did you make it up yourself or are they readily available over the counter ?
Cheers
The latch in the first photo are the ones that latch on from the side. The 2nd photo is the middle rear latch. I do have that metal front clip on the roof, but it is not lining up properly
_______
|©¯¯©|
didi
Valve
South Africa

Post by didi »

Dirk is helping me with the final touches to get the bus ready for the campout. The brake lines are replaced as well as the wheel cylinders. The small electric quirks are also sorted out. Tomorrow it's the tierod ends and then it's all done.
_______
|©¯¯©|
jolas
Donor
Donor

Post by jolas »

You need to change the heading of your thread to something else e.g "Saved bay camper" or "Rescued bay camper", etc, etc :hangloose: It has been great following the progress of this bus didi, right from the story of purchase up till now 8)
by fig » Mar 26, 2018
didi
Valve
South Africa

Post by didi »

Maybe one of the moderators can change the heading. I cannot change it.
Here is a picture of the beetle tie rod that was on the carImage
Lots of play on the shaft and the tread stripped!
Some desperate calls last night and beetlefanatic came to the rescue with a tierod!
Thank you so much Bernard!
I drove my bus home last night from Dirk's workshop (driving it for the first time since I got it)
Dirk did a fantastic job with the brakes. It was well worth it.
Still a few things to do (is it ever done)
_______
|©¯¯©|
didi
Valve
South Africa

Post by didi »

I installed a voltmeter and engine temp meter last night. The voltmeter is working, but I still need to mount the temp sensor in the engine. I thought of using the block off plate on the universal case where the type 3 dipstick sits. Image ok, and align the temp gauge to sit straight :-)
I am also thinking of fitting a rev counter, as I cannot hear the engine over the whining gearbox.
_______
|©¯¯©|