The Rondalia Project

Post general ACVW topics here
Forum rules
If its not ACVW related, post it in Off Topic.
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Oil on the driveway

The Rondalia Project

Post by Pine »

435109_090812144048_e86011.jpg
We all know the classic metal Rondalia badge, often (or perhaps not so often) seen for sale at swop meets or on the bumpers of classic cars. I am gathering some more information on the history of the Rondalia Touring Club, and want to invite ACVWSA members to add some more information to this thread, memories, pics of badges on cars etc.

I have found some interesting Rondalia literature recently, and will add it to this thread as soon as I have scanned it. In the meanwhile, some snippets from the WWW:
FIRST AUTOMOBILE CLUBS

The first established motoring organisation was the Automobile Club of SA, formed in Cape Town in 1901 just before the end of the Anglo-Boer War. This body began to lobby for improved roads and amenities for cars but the effect was a mere ripple in the pond because the number of car owners was growing slowly
The groundswell was such that a federation was formed in 1923
Other bodies began to spring up around the country: the Transvaal Automobile Club in 1903, the Natal Automobile Club in 1906, Pietermaritzburg in 1907, the East London and Border in 1908 and the Queenstown Automobile Club in 1916. In 1911, the original Cape Town-based Automobile Club of SA received a royal charter and became known as the Royal Automobile Club of South Africa.

The groundswell was such that a Federation of Automobile Clubs was formed in 1923 (the same year local motor manufacturing commenced) to co-ordinate and act in the interests of motorists.

The disadvantages of having many diverse bodies attempting to deal with councils, municipalities and government were recognised so in 1928 the Queenstown AC was granted permission by the AA of Great Britain to use its car badge and name as a Federated AA, shuttling in the idea of a nationwide AA
By 1930 it was reconstituted into the Automobile Association of SA
In January 1930 the federation of clubs was reconstituted as the Automobile Association of SA. The final improvement in the AA’s effectiveness came with the adoption of centralised control in 1934. In 1966, the Royal Automobile Club of South Africa was taken over by the AA and in the 1980's it absorbed its rival motoring organisation, Rondalia.
It was established mostly as an Afrikaner initiative to get a foothold in the touring industry. It must be remembered that Afrikaner sentiment was high at that point in history and wanted to establish its own identity also in this stronghold of motoring. As said above it offered various benefits to its members such as roadside assistance, travel advice and holiday accommodation.
My father belong to Rondalia Touring Club during the late 60's early 70's. He used to make bookings, ect and I think he qualified for some assistance (like AA) as well. I know they had an office in Worcester and Goudini Spa was called Rondalia Spa at some stage as well.
Furthermore you could choose from the various Rondalia resorts in the country.There were quite a couple like Hibberdene, Goudini, loskop, Thipise, Swadini etc etc.
I also was a member in the seventies. They had a mechanical inspection service similar to the AA but their insurance was worthless, also being the reason why I left them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pine
ACVWSA Junkie

Re: The Rondalia Project

Post by Pine »

This is an interesting variation on the 'standard' embossed Rondalia badge at the top of this thread - it is covered with some blue enamel and has a chrome finish

69bug
Crankshaft
What model do you have?: Not enough!

Post by 69bug »

pine, I also have both those badges, but look at those others shown - VW club of Natal and Western Cape!
Now those are scarse! I am collecting info of AA - didnt know there were so many different badges.
Good luck with the Rondalia info!
"TSW" and "Street Rod" should not be used in the same sentence! - Barry
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

Great post, Pine; I'm also on a mission to find out as much about Rondalia as I can.

I have three different Rondalia grille badges: the more common one with the cross-hatching on the painted part, the smooth enamelled one as shown, and then another, I'm guessing more recent one, that is about half the size and apparently made of enamelled aluminium, with a heavy gloss finish.

I recently picked up a Rondalia touring folder with various SA route maps inside; the first Rondalia literature I've ever seen.

I'll takes some pics later. :hangloose:
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie

Post by Pine »

Thanks, Fig - let's see if we can get as much info and pics as possible for this thread
69bug wrote:I am collecting info of AA
Thought you would find this pic I found last night interesting - seeing that it is a Bloem car to the left! :wink:

69bug
Crankshaft

Post by 69bug »

Fig, how about a nice pic of your badge, please? This subject just gets more interesting everyday!
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie

Post by Pine »

69bug wrote:This subject just gets more interesting everyday!

Brace yourself for much more! :wink:

Let's carry on with the Rondalia support cars, which included Beetles. They were painted two-tone light blue and white, but unfortunately I do no not have a side view of one. I am not sure if they were blue and white (Beetle Buddies style!) or if only the fenders were blue.

A few pics I scanned from the Rondalia Annual, circa 1974. The original pics were of very poor quaility, this is the best I can do

Rondalia Emergency Service Camp at Schoemanskloof, near Nelspruit, during holiday season

Rondalia Service Car No 38

Rondalia Service Car No 43

69bug
Crankshaft

Post by 69bug »

Pine, those foto's of the beetles look alot like the AA ones. (Looks like only fenders were another colour)
fig
Bus Driver
South Africa

Post by fig »

Here are three Rondalia badges.

The one on the right is the more common one, with cross hatching where it's painted. The centre one is possibly an older design, with a smooth backgrounnd. The one on the right looks like 70s/80s, printed aluminium with a thick resin glaze:

Rondalia Touring Guide:

fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
fig
Bus Driver
South Africa

Post by fig »

With regard to the VW Club badges pictured above, that's only the second time I've seen the Cape Town VW Club badge. I've never seen the Natal one. I'd love to find either of those, especially the Cape Town one.

And while on the subject of other motoring club badges, particularly Afrikaans motoring clubs, how about this beauty:

fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

Pine
ACVWSA Junkie

Post by Pine »

fig wrote:And while on the subject of other motoring club badges, particularly Afrikaans motoring clubs, how about this beauty:
I see your Afrikaans beauty, and raise you a 1949 Voortrekkermonument car bumper badge!
1644197_110325115959_1882r.jpg
...unfortunately not mine, but for sale on BidorBuy for R 500 :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fig
Bus Driver
South Africa

Post by fig »

Pine wrote:
fig wrote:And while on the subject of other motoring club badges, particularly Afrikaans motoring clubs, how about this beauty:
I see your Afrikaans beauty, and raise you a 1949 Voortrekkermonument car bumper badge!
1644197_110325115959_1882r.jpg
...unfortunately not mine, but for sale on BidorBuy for R 500 :(
Nice! mrsfig and I also collect memorabilia from the Voortrekker monument inauguration on 16 December 1949. I'm not about to pay R500 for that though. :(
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

Pine
ACVWSA Junkie

Post by Pine »

As for Rondalia literature, this is what I got recently - a blue vinyl A5 size cover with Rondalia annual, membership card, towing service coupons and stickers. The stickers are the water-transfer type (like those of small plastic model aeroplanes), that sticks on the inside of the rear window of your car. The larger one has a '5' below the Rondalia badge (5 year membership?)

A closeup of the membership card, it had your personal details typed with a typewriter at the back, and has a blue vinyl sleeve with Rondalia logo that is transparent on the other side

A scan of the the cover of the Rondalia Annual (not sure of the year - probably '74 or '75) - it has a Rondalia map in the background, most probably a MapStudio product as they have a very prominent advertisement in the Annual. Note the compass with Rondalia logo in the top left corner, your maps should also have it Fig?

fig
Bus Driver
South Africa

Post by fig »

Pine wrote: Note the compass with Rondalia logo in the top left corner, your maps should also have it Fig?
Indeed they do. :)

Cool literature score there Pine! :hangloose:
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

fig
Bus Driver
South Africa

Post by fig »

FWIW, I should also mention that a good friend of mine remembers that when he was a kid, his father used to manufacture Rondalia badges in his garage!
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult