New Members - Introduce yourself..

Post general ACVW topics here
Forum rules
If its not ACVW related, post it in Off Topic.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

New Members - Introduce yourself..

Post by Tony Z »

I see we have had a few new members joing us lately...

How about introducing yourselves and saying hi???

Thumper
Carburettor
What model do you have?: Just scale models
South Africa

Post by Thumper »

Hi there guys. My name is Danie. I was heavily involved in the Beetle Connection Club in Johannesburg (Rand Beetle club) about 10+ years ago. Been in Cape Town since 1995 but had little time to join in the fun. I had a green '68 1500 cal look bug on 15" 8-spoke empi's. That bug had to be sold for financial reasons. By chance I heard of a solid JHB bug with good motor looking for a new home. Had it towed down to Hanover, where I collected it and brought it the rest of the way. It turned out that not all the info was true. The rust is not bad however, Kingpin and linkpin needs work. Motor is 100% but the clutch and clutch cable begging for mercy. Wiring is a mess, stupid sunroof leaks etc. So now I am slowly piecing it together. I joined to get back into the social side of being a Beetle owner. I have experienced some good fun times on bug outings, and met the nicest people. My son and daughter are a bit suprised that I want to drive a 37 year old car, but would rather go with me in the bug (fun) than the airconditioned Jetta(boring). My wife not so suprised! I want to finish my car in the German-look fashion, maybe a set of Porsche rims, metallic red paint, 2.1 litre motor... I can dream can't I?
My Bug: http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 37&t=12416" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
red-m
Oil Seal
What model do you have?: several

Post by red-m »

I'm also a "Newbie" -
to the forum anyway - & I must congratulate you guys - gr8 forum!!
I'm Heide-Marie, the unofficial VW news e-mail-bug.......... that keeps sending anyone related to VW vast amounts of e-mails -
(was also involved in organising the VW Commemorative show, 23 October at POMC)

..................I'm also the one inviting anyone who's interested & who can go, to come to a bring & braai on Sunday - Midrand..............
so if any of you guys can make it - just sms, or call / e-mail -
083 455 7684
eben
Site Admin
What model do you have?: None
Facebook: www.facebook.com/ebenve
Slovakia

Post by eben »

Welcome you 2..... remember to spread the word about the forum.... not enought ppl know about us. :)
Thumper
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by Thumper »

Thank you. Will start spreading the news.....VW's are here to stay.... sounds like Frank Sinatra
My Bug: http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 37&t=12416" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Welcome all...

For me its really nice be in touch with people that have the same hobby or passion as I do, even though I am stuck on the other side of the world. Whenever I am home, I participate as much as I can... hence trying to organise a small Xmas event during the 4 days I am home this year.

Its not a car, its a legend
Keep the Passion
red-m
Oil Seal

Newbies

Post by red-m »

not to worry - I am already spreading the news about the forum - interesting how I heard about it:
was talking to John Lemon re the Ghia article in CAR, by the same guys who filmed our show for Car Torque (see http://www.cartorque.co.za ) & he said to have a look at the letters section....
there's already great interest from my associates / VW friends...........
Thumper
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by Thumper »

Can we organise a local event like the Le Bug show, or Bug-O-Rama here in Cape Town?
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

It has been tried, dont think it worked too well. The biggest problem is that there is a serious lack of interest in the VW community to set up a huge event where the people coming thru will have to pay cover charge just to cover the costs of the grounds.

I would love to do something, like a VW day at Killarney, but to get into something like that will take a lot of time and effort. First, we have to start racing, just to get the attention of the other boyz who are already in the scene, we cant leave it all to the like of Dave Rowley, we must show that there are other fast boys out there. Then as a reputation grows, the GTI club might start to take us seriously and thru them we could organise a decent VW event, or maybe get to to join them for their yearly VW vs the Rest.
I tried to start a small Beetle racing class, but the interest from the VW community killed it, I called it the "show and go" where you demo your car and drag it at the same event. Points are given for each category and they are added up to determine an overall winner. So if your car runs 11s and looks like crap or if the car looks brilliant and runs 19s on the 1/4, you will loose to a mediocre looking car the runs a decent time... The catch is to run the car as it is shown, no removing seats.... Also cars must be street legal and turbos and blowers get a slight penalty in points, as well as car running a non-VW aircooled engine.
The key to this would be getting 20 or so members to each of the racing events that Killarney is/was willing to include us in and to provide some action... hunting down VTECs and so on...M3s especially
Cumulus
Drip

Post by Cumulus »

Hi guys,
We are a Veedub family, now residing in Cape Town. My son has a red 1300 Beetle, rescued from going to the scrapyard, we also own a high-roof bay panelvan and a bay kombi. I have owned a '61 karman ghia, 5 beetles, 3 buggys, and a type 3 variant. My first 'proper' job was for the VW dealers in Rhodesia, where I was bitten by the BUG!
Just went to see about buying a beetle 'convertable' done by some mad-man with good intentions and bad judgement, but the engine number didnt match the papers, so left it.

Last week went out for an outing with the Cape Kombi Club, excellent bunch of guys, nicely organised function, very informal.
red-m
Oil Seal

Bugfest

Post by red-m »

The last I heard, there was a Bugfest planed...........?
http://www.bugfest.co.za
vader
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: TieFighter
Location: Help!I don't know where I am. Its dark & I can hear voices...

Post by vader »

Count me in...well when I get power to the dark side... :evil:
"My other ride is your SeatCover! & She loves it!"
Sometimes you'r the statue, sometimes your the pigeon.
"Only the dead go free..." Roger Waters.
"You do not understand the power of the DarkSide" Darth Vader.
ftt
Oil Leak
What model do you have?: Jeep Replica

Post by ftt »

Yes, I'm new although allot of you guys have helped me out already ;) I am proud to be a part of this forum. Its great that there are people out there appreciating air cooled rides. My wife has the 1600 beetle and I drive a 1300 tonic (soon to have a 1800 astina motor). Needless to say that over weekends we just use the beetle. Great car and fun to be in. We live in Johannesburg.

Great to be here.
not enough dubs
Drip

IM NEW

Post by not enough dubs »

JOINED YESTERDAY AFTER A BIT OF SEARCHING . did not realise caps were on. i usedto live in sa from 69 till about 83 . had my first ride in a aicooled dub being taken to creche when i used to live opposite a drive in on the way to joeys on the r 22 i think but i was only a lightie. lived above a roadhouse could see the flick but no sound :D .i now live in the uk and own a few aircooled rides 68 karmann ghia cabrio ( nice one )
67 split kombi
68 variant
70 bay kombi
78 champagne kombi
70 westy kombi (lhd )
89 t25 carravele
the split was from south africa :roll: sorry bout that . i was on hols visiting the folks and found it. but it was origionally bought new in the uk and shipped by its doctor owner , until it was no longer of use to him and he then left it on his plot . getting things pinched of it . windows broken thats where i came in.
any way been to south africa many times for hols sine 83 and even had a 5 week honeymoon there , my wife loved it. as you can prob tell by my list of dubs im a hoardernot a seller ill try post a pic .
7 cars and still not got enough !!!
Class 11 streeter
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: 8.5 Beetles!

Post by Class 11 streeter »

Hey all, sorry for not seeing this sticky sooner.
Name is Monte, and I make my home in the Antelope Valley, California, USA. I got into VW's after I blew up my last American V8 muscle car and got tired of expensive engines. Too late I found out VW's are also expensive but I am sticking with it for now. My first VW was a Baja and the offroad interest is my main gig. I like street legal offroad capable VW's so that is what I drive. Currently I am slowly building a type 4 engine to go into my type 1 so I am looking forward to the added power and reliability type 4 engines offer.
Take care, and see you all in the forums!
Monte
8)
I don't know it all, just enough to be dangerous!