New Members - Introduce yourself..

Post general ACVW topics here
Forum rules
If its not ACVW related, post it in Off Topic.
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Re: New Members -

Post by retrovan »

Dion&cathsdream wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:04 pm Hi Dion and Catherine from Alberton. We are new vw kombi owners still got lots of work to do on our new baby and still need to name her.
Welcome and the best way to start is to open an project thread, post photo's of your bus, and let us share your joy of getting her to the point you guys want to have her.

Good Luck

Herman

1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Morras
Drip
What model do you have?: Beach Buggy
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/morne.duplessis.904

Re: New Members - Introduce yourself..

Post by Morras »

Good afternoon, I am Morras from Windhoek Namibia and i own a yellow Single Port 1600 Beach Buggy. Loads of fun and easy to work on as a project car.
73type2
Pushrod
What model do you have?: '73 T2 Single Cab
France

Post by 73type2 »

Welcome Morras.It's great that you're having fun with your buggy. You are welcome to share more by starting a new thread under Projects.
Hugo
Drip
What model do you have?: 1967 Beetle

Post by Hugo »

Hi everyone, new to the forum, not new to Aircooled's!

Own a 67 Type 1 that had numerous engine conversion, lately a rotary 12a non-turbo.
Lowered to keep in control and disc brakes to slow things down. Don't drive it enough, thats for sure.
Had it since high school, and now ready to share it with my son when he obtains his licence later this year!
Nice to be in the company of like-minded people, and glad that the addition is still strong out there!
Hugo
Drip
What model do you have?: 1967 Beetle

Post by Hugo »

Hi everyone, new to the forum, not new to Aircooled's!

Own a 67 Type 1 that had numerous engine conversion, lately a rotary 12a non-turbo.
Lowered to keep in control and disc brakes to slow things down. Don't drive it enough, thats for sure.
Had it since high school, and now ready to share it with my son when he obtains his licence later this year!
Nice to be in the company of like-minded people, and glad that the addition is still strong out there!
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Welcome Hugo
I'm 20km down the road from you...
Please share pics and history of your car if you have a chance???
Haans
Camshaft
What model do you have?: 1960 ghia
South Africa

Post by Haans »

Welcome to all,.....but without pics !!,.....it's just in our minds,....and it's allready overloaded!,

Sharing is the way to make us believe !

Haans
WillieD
Drip
What model do you have?: 1978 Panelvan
Facebook: Willie Dreyer

Post by WillieD »

Hi Everyone, My name is Willie and have joined today. I own a 1978, T2 Bay Window panel van, since 1981. After ll these years I'm now busy fitting a Golf 8 valve engine. Got the adapter plate from Gilo, and is busy at the moment to fit the engine.
According to the posts in the forum there are many such conversion done. Is there anyone out there that can assist with pictures for water pipes and expansion bottle fitment just to save some time.

Thanks
Willie
Terry Phillips
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: T3,1beetle
Zambia

Post by Terry Phillips »

I have all the pipes,radiator, radiator cowling and fan,PM me if you are interested.
DeanB
Drip
What model do you have?: 1969

Post by DeanB »

Hello, my name is Dean and it's been a little over 9 years since my last post on any motoring forum...

Growing up I spent a lot of time in the garage with my father, working on his nerves while he worked on his cars. Eventually, I think my Old Man had enough of me hotwiring his cars after school and bought me something he knew would keep me occupied - a bright yellow '72 1600 beetle, with white Smith wheels.

First mod was a 4 pipe straight through exhaust which spat large blue flames, purely because I got tired of replacing the silencer box - compliments of the trailer wheels being too small. Second mod was a very mild forced induction by means of Kreepy Krawly pipes from the fan housing, into a T-piece, into the top of the carb - which was to remedy the need to drop down to first gear heading up a massive hill to college every morning. Worked like a bomb! 4th gear all the way up that hill from that mod on!

Sadly, someone liked that bug more than me and it was stolen from outside a friends house one night. I ran out when I heard my obnoxious exhaust system, only to see blue flames disappear around the corner as the bugger let off the juice to drop a gear.

A few years later I bought myself another, even brighter yellow, '69 beetle. Modified with discs all around, bucket seats, a dropped suspension and a 1600 Toyota 4AGE with a very hot head, mated to a 4speed box with modified ratios. Surprised many a tow truck driver during the early hours, from robot to robot! Sadly, I somehow managed to shear the right front link pin around a corner (don't ask how, I've never heard of that happening). Well, that was the end of that. Towed home, more than likely by one of the bakkies I thrashed at a robot about an hour prior!

I bought an oval window body and pan, wanted to build a hot rod. But, I left for Europe, stayed longer than I intended. And when I came home, I moved to Cape Town. Life got serious. Work was for a living and no longer for the weekend. Then came 1 child, and another 3 years later a second.

That '69 bug is still parked at my parents place, more than 15 years later. Time to bring it down to Cape Town and pass on the knowledge to my son, that my father gave to me.

However, this time around I want to build a mid engine V8 Baja monster. Which brings me here! I've seen a few old posts on the Rorty mid-engine designs. I sent Rorty a mail, but alas, no response. Anyone know if those plans made it to SA and if anyone would be willing to share them, or sell them them to me?

Once we're ready to go, I may even start a build thread. Great forum all, I've been lurking in the background... Look forward to the occasional chat!

Regards,
Dean
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Welcome DeanB - sounds like you really are a nutter with the bugs.
Glad to have you here, hope you'll grace us with some pics of your project as you get to it.

I once upon a time paid for those plans... if you really want a set, drop me a private message.
Bugger
Advertiser
Advertiser
What model do you have?: a Few Models
Facebook: Pierre Bugger Eksteen

Post by Bugger »

Welcome DeanB

Those plans are around

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Adapterplates Available for Rotary in Beetle and others aswell
And Special Boxes built for Rotary Conversions and Scubies
Pierre
082 600 8663

CLick on Banner Below to be routed to the Web site

DeanB
Drip
What model do you have?: 1969

Post by DeanB »

Thanks for the welcome!

@Tony Z, I definitely sent you a PM. But noticed it was lingering in the outbox, so I edited and resent. It's still showing outbox, perhaps that's where it should be?

If you don't get it, please come back to me. Appreciated...

Cheers!
DeanB
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

it sits in the outbox until the receiver has read it... then moves to sent.
Pietersduplessis
Drip
What model do you have?: 74 Beetle
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pieter.duplessis.79025

Post by Pietersduplessis »

Hi all
Also new to the Beetle group although I grew up in one 😁, and the other day I asked my 16yr old what car would he like to get when turning 18.And guees what, ja a beetle. So long story short bought a 74 beetle no motor lots of work and 1 and a half year to complete the project with my son
Started already by disassemble body and pan, and enjoying every moment