The AutoPavilion is a complete waste of time...

Post general ACVW topics here
Forum rules
If its not ACVW related, post it in Off Topic.
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Re: The AutoPavilion is a complete waste of time...

Post by fig »

It is what it is. We all have our own picture of what we'd like it to be. I think my pics above show it's not "a complete waste of time".

fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
Merlin
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?:  Various

Post by Merlin »

Herman,

In short...

A motoring museum is built to preserve motoring heritage, not to park an assortment of cars.

There are plenty of manufacturers with their own museums; I've personally visited a number of them and the others I've explored via the photographic, written and verbal reports of others, around the world. So far, all of the ones that I've inspected are a truer reflection of heritage, with a more concerted effort and more accuracy than the AP.

A Curator's job is to preserve and document the works in their care. A warm body, devoid of passion for their love, should never be titled as a Curator. That's the first problem.

Cars donated as-is for preservation should be exactly that, preserved, not left outside to rot in the rain. A restoration will not render the same as donated.

The AP is a disgrace and it should be closed. It's clearly nothing more than a marketing ploy.

Marketers, Accountants and Lawyers build cars these days. Robots assemble them.
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, and oversteer, the rear.
Hp is how fast you hit the wall, and Torque is how far you take the wall with you."
sled wrote:well obviously the UK is wrong.
Pine
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: Oil on the driveway

Post by Pine »

I think this thread is totally uncalled for and not the type of vibe we need here on ACVWSA, enough negativity already. Some Forum members (yes, if the shoe fits :evil:) hardly ever contribute here, yet they are on line all day only to jump on the bandwagon with negative threads like these.

Why don't we rather make contact with the powers that be, and offer our assistance in making the Museum a lot more informative and factually correct? The combined knowledge here on ACVWSA can be of priceless value to them, and a benefit to all. Unfortunately, threads like these (that WILL reach them sooner or later), will only make enemies..

Merlin
ACVWSA Junkie

Post by Merlin »

...and you wonder why some people choose not to contribute here, Pine.

The world isn't all peaches and roses.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Mine is: Go jump.
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, and oversteer, the rear.
Hp is how fast you hit the wall, and Torque is how far you take the wall with you."
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Merlin wrote:Herman,
In short...
A motoring museum is built to preserve motoring heritage, not to park an assortment of cars.
I hear what you say,...with respect.

But, we have not gone to the same place.

I have been through the AP 4 times over as many years.

Yes a lot of displays have stayed the same, but the bigger number have changed year by year.

Should you have watched the video's in the different formats, the posters on the walls, the write-ups at each display, the audio tape that you get from the counter when you pay your entrance fee, you would have been able to write the history of VWSA just on the info they gave you.

I have a poster that John Lemon, authored, that is hanging in the AP, that has more history in it then Google has ever had on VWSA.

No my friend, the info is all there, you need to "See" it.

Maybe if you go again, with an open mind, you will have more luck in enjoying this really informative experience.

All others reading this thread, please go and see for your self, whether this thread is justified.

Sorry, but my glass is always more then half full.

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Merlin
ACVWSA Junkie

Post by Merlin »

Sidebar: I wasn't offered a tape at reception. I thus can't comment on that.

As I said to another member, this has been my opinion. Period. I'm not advocating for anyone not visit the AP.

I feel as if I've done enough research and participated in the scene over the years to come away feeling (far) less than impressed.

I've said my part. Some way even venture so far as to term that a "contribution". ;)

Kind regards.

Over and out.
bigboy 777
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: '73 1700 vw kombi

Post by bigboy 777 »

thanks herman

that's what I wanted to hear. I'll make a plan to go and check it out. no matter how small it may be it's still apart of us.

Merlin have you been to Anton Rupert's museum in franchhoek? he has over 300 of the world's most exotic cars of which 80 is displayed at a time, changed every 6 months. very few info on the cars. a4 page including Afrikaans and English. I'll go back every 6 months for 2 years just so that I can see all of them.

it's exiting to see the cars in the flesh. I didn't even read the info on them because I can do that at home on the internet.

that's why I am going to the AP. to see them in the flesh, even if they are outside, which is a pity. but apparently they are changing the setup. and to see the place my bus came from. I'll rather have what we have now than nothing at all.

it's your own choice if you want to be negative or positive. I choose positivity because positivity attracts positivity.

have a great week guys

cheers
like Mohamed Ali said" "just fight one more round"

72 1700 kombi
66 1300 beetle (future, mine. dad's now )
60 Chevy apache
82 3.0 ford cortina (daily driver)
91 GSXR 1100 streetfighter
82 Gpz 1100 Kawasaki
HerVWturbo
Drip
What model do you have?: 1962 VW Beetle
Facebook: Reinhold Ortlepp

Post by HerVWturbo »

Wow. I didn't know that my old 67 made it to the AP. Still looks good in the pictures. Loved that car.
Hermann Ortlepp.
Bugger
Advertiser
Advertiser
What model do you have?: a Few Models
Facebook: Pierre Bugger Eksteen

Post by Bugger »

HerVWturbo wrote:Wow. I didn't know that my old 67 made it to the AP. Still looks good in the pictures. Loved that car.
Hermann Ortlepp.
Hi Herman How Kyk dinge daar in Oz ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Adapterplates Available for Rotary in Beetle and others aswell
And Special Boxes built for Rotary Conversions and Scubies
Pierre
082 600 8663

CLick on Banner Below to be routed to the Web site

HerVWturbo
Drip
What model do you have?: 1962 VW Beetle
Facebook: Reinhold Ortlepp

Post by HerVWturbo »

Good mate.
Still have a 62 ragtop beetle. Converted it to a 002 transmission and IRS. Hope that I can use most of the power of my turbo engine now, and not totally destroy the gearbox.
Cheers, Hermann Ortlepp.