Santarama Mini Land

Post general ACVW topics here
Forum rules
If its not ACVW related, post it in Off Topic.
buggyfan
Long Block
What model do you have?: lwb beachbuggy
South Africa

Re: Santarama Mini Land

Post by buggyfan »

acpaterson wrote: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:07 pm Shit that is sad. I spent one of my earlier single figure Birthdays there, which would be in the early 70's..
PLENTY has in fact changed up there since back in the days. I got the shock of my life the last trip I was in JHB, and drove on the N1 and couldn't understand where the Top Star has gone, including the monster minedump it was on.. Found out afterwards it's all been reclaimed.

:-(
Spotted this in a Jonny Clegg seeries called A COuntry Imagined
Half of the mine dump was already reclaimed yet the screen and cafe was still standing

http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... tt#p269451" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
acpaterson
Carburettor
What model do you have?: Winston, a 74 Bay
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Sad. As its said wherever it's said, everything changes, some for the good, some for the bad..
I like to remember how it was growing up, teenage years. Rand Show, Drive In's, trips to the Vaal and Haarties, first trip to Sun City..
acpaterson
Carburettor
What model do you have?: Winston, a 74 Bay
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

I remember a friend I went to School With, I can't find anything on him now, no idea if he's even still alive. His name was Leon Roux. He was a wizzard already back then with VW's.. He had a really nice Baja which he'd lifted off the chassis with square tubing etc.. Helped me out a lot with my Baja and my g friends back then. We used to go on these Baja runs and get-togethers, meet at halfway house garage, or Uncle Charlies garage.. I've never seen or hear of him after we matriculated and went to airforce.