Uitenhage Paint Codes

Post general ACVW topics here
Forum rules
If its not ACVW related, post it in Off Topic.
51splitfanatic
Oil Pump
What model do you have?: 1957 Oval

Re: Uitenhage Paint Codes

Post by 51splitfanatic »

Jaco,

Will have the missus take a look to confirm. My 57 should have the Jupiter gray paint code on it starting with C.....!! Strange that my Original Bill of sale mentions that my oval is Polar Gray. Not possible.....Polar silver maybe? The 57 is 95% original paint according to the previous owner.

It seems with a few inquiries...there may be a hint of hope that you could actually put together the South Africa paint codes or interpret the chassis plate paint codes for South African assembled vw beetles pre-60's.

fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

Jdt1976 wrote:Fig, does your ragtop have the local plate on? If it has, does it have a local paint code on it?
Yes, it does. I'll try to remember to check the colour code this weekend. AFAIK the car is painted Agave Green.

I'll also check the Jungle Green oval for paint code.

I also have a file somewhere (possibly on a damaged drive :roll: ) where I recorded a few split bus paint codes.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
Jdt1976
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 1952 beetle

Post by Jdt1976 »

51splitfanatic wrote:Jaco,

Will have the missus take a look to confirm. My 57 should have the Jupiter gray paint code on it starting with C.....!! Strange that my Original Bill of sale mentions that my oval is Polar Gray. Not possible.....Polar silver maybe? The 57 is 95% original paint according to the previous owner.

It seems with a few inquiries...there may be a hint of hope that you could actually put together the South Africa paint codes or interpret the chassis plate paint codes for South African assembled vw beetles pre-60's.
Thanks Pierre. That bill of sale is something you don't see everyday!

The code of my grey oval is C106. I first want to make sure that the grey was actually called Jupiter grey before we can add it to the list.
What is a bit confusing is Jupiter grey is a common colour we refer to. Was it really Jupiter grey? I will ask my paintshop to mix all the grey colours so we will know.

Why I say it might not be Jupiter grey:
Here are the colours as I got from the German museum.

My oval is a delux model with the chrome etc. that is also confirmed on the certificate.
According to the colours from the museum, Jupiter grey was only on the standard models.

Here are the colours from The Samba. (No Jupiter Grey):

Thanks Fig. Looking forward to the info.
51splitfanatic
Oil Pump
What model do you have?: 1957 Oval

Post by 51splitfanatic »

Jaco,

The closest my grey comes to another vw color pallet is L469 Anthrazit (anthracite) which is a color that only came out after 1960.

This really peaks my interest....mmmm! I would not be surprised if South Africa once more decided that they would take the Jupiter Gray paint and just paint their Deluxe's as well while the Germans weren't looking......LOL!! Another mystery to solve...Scooby!!!

Last time I was at the Air-cooled Heritage day at POMC, there were two 57 Ovals with the exact same paint color.......If it is not Jupiter,,,then what else could it be? They were both non-metallic painted Ovals.

Pierre
AlanH
Crankshaft
What model do you have?: '70 Westy
Germany

Post by AlanH »

Interesting subject, been googling al lot as well and have not found the correct colour name of my beetle. On the plate it states code K . Looks like a dark ivory. Will be following this thread with interest.

Tx.
Wanted parts:
Left sunvisor
Sink faucet
Exhaust to swap for Beetle exhaust
Vwbarry
Drip
What model do you have?: Oval

Post by Vwbarry »

Hi has anyone found any more about c paint codes ? C305 it's a 1953 oval thanks. Barry.
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

VWSA paint and upholstery codes from 1963-1977 were recently found and posted in this forum:
viewforum.php?f=89

Unfortunately no 1950s info yet.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford