Almost lost Naked Fury to fire

Post general ACVW topics here
Forum rules
If its not ACVW related, post it in Off Topic.
Madbones
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: 182 Thing

Almost lost Naked Fury to fire

Post by Madbones »

IMG_2329.JPG
IMG_2327.JPG
We got lucky, very very lucky.
Please double check and triple check your fuel lines as posted recently by Fig. My father was driving Naked Fury down Louis Botha last week and the copper/brass pipe came out of the fuel pump. This is now the second time this has happened to me in my Beetle and now the Westy. In my Beetle the copper pipe came loose from the carb itself. I was informed that this does happen :shock:
On the Beetle I was lucky the fuel was everywhere but the engine did not catch alight, the Westy was different. If it was not for the swift actions of a few taxi drivers Naked Fury would be lost. I now have a completely different perspective about taxi drivers they saved my beloved Westy. So the damage is mainly electrical and hopefully we should be on the road again soon, thank God and taxi drivers for a happy ending.
However I urge you to check your fuel lines and especially those copper pipes into and out of the old style fuel pump and the carb.
And of course any other advice on how to fix or improve this issue?
Madbones
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Re: Almost lost Naked Fury to fire

Post by retrovan »

Glad to hear you saved the bus, it could have been a different story.

The brass and pewter/aluminum expand at different rates, and with the heat of town driving, the engine are get mighty hot.

So with time the brass will expand the body where its in, and it will come loose.

now days, they thread them in, but in old cars it was just friction.

Maybe a fire extinguisher is not a bad investment, for these old cars.......

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
buggyfan
Long Block
What model do you have?: lwb beachbuggy
South Africa

Post by buggyfan »

Well done to the taxi drivers in helping to save your bus from completely burning out.

As can be seen in this thread on TheSamba , best advice is to wire-tie all fittings on the carb and fuelpump

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... afety+wire
http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... tt#p269451" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Madbones
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: 182 Thing

Post by Madbones »

Thanks Buggyfan an awesome idea and appreciate the advice and feedback.
I'm now going to do this on all my cars, the third time I might not be that lucky :shock:
Guys please check your lines, the link from Buggyfan mentions a quick pull check that makes 100% sense. I have never done this :oops:
Best wishes to all and prosperous 2017.
Madbones
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

It's one of my regular service checks: pull hard on all brass connections into aluminium alloy items like carbs and fuel pumps. If you find a loose one, then pull it out and roughen it well with a rough file before tapping it back in with a coating of Pratley Steel or similar epoxy. Finish the job by peening the body around the brass tube with a centre punch. Aviation standard safety wiring of all connections gives total peace of mind.

Another regular service check on type1 engines is the grommet where the steel fuel pipe goes through the front (FIF) engine tin. This pipe can wear through from vibration against the front tin and leak fuel directly onto the hot No3 exhaust port. It's impossible to fight a fire here and you will lose your car.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

The first warning you will have of any kind of fuel leak in the engine compartment or elsewhere will be a strong smell of petrol. If you ever get a sudden strong fuel smell while driving, stop the car immediately and investigate. Your life may depend on it.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

The most important item I have installed in all my VW's is the electrical fuel solenoid.

This you fit right at the tank outlet, and as you turn the key OFF, all fuel stops flowing, this could prevent you ever having a fire in the 1st place.

Most VW's have gravity tanks, and trying to put a fire out when the fuel is still flowing is near impossible.

Also great for a anti theft device.

Always have an fire extinguisher in the cab of the car.

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc