Conversions

Post general ACVW topics here
Forum rules
If its not ACVW related, post it in Off Topic.
Nick Smart
Drip
What model do you have?: 74 baywindow

Conversions

Post by Nick Smart »

Hi guys, I am new to this forum and would love some sound advice. I am an avid petrol head and have put Lexus V8 in my landy have bought and sold a few splitties and now I have purchased a bay window with 2 liter conversion. Question is the carb or injection better. Don't want to raise the lid. I drove it back from Lydenberg and it used 6 km / liter bad news for me. This sounds not right and this makes me think it is married to a 1600 gbox. How do I know? The first 3 gears reach 60 then into 4 and up to 100. Motor revs well but I think it is working too hard. Advice boys as this bus will be doing the put foot rally

Bugger
Advertiser
Advertiser
What model do you have?: a Few Models
Facebook: Pierre Bugger Eksteen

Re: Conversions

Post by Bugger »

As suggested when you called my bring it past to spend some time to investigate

Pierre
Vdubtech

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Adapterplates Available for Rotary in Beetle and others aswell
And Special Boxes built for Rotary Conversions and Scubies
Pierre
082 600 8663

CLick on Banner Below to be routed to the Web site

fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Re: Conversions

Post by fig »

Welcome to ACVWSA Nick!

VW buses do work hard, but you may be right on the gearing. Other will chip in with proper detail re transmission ID, but count the ribs on it, 5 or 6 is 2.0l and 3 ribs is for 1600/1700/1800. Your fuel consumption should be 8km/l or better. 10km/l is achievable. I suggest you have the bus checked and tuned up and the carbs correctly set by an experienced air-cooled mechanic. Air-cooled buses were never sold with fuel injection in SA. Only the 1700 411/412 had Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford