Classic Camper Hire - name for sale...

Post general ACVW topics here
Forum rules
If its not ACVW related, post it in Off Topic.
Derek
Crankshaft
What model do you have?: 1971, 1972, 1978
Facebook: Derek Antonio Serra

Classic Camper Hire - name for sale...

Post by Derek »

After meeting with several prospective buyers for Classic Camper Hire over the past few months nobody proved to be a good fit to buy the business as a going concern - or if they were a good fit they didn't have the money. So I moved to plan B and sold off the active fleet of 3 campers to various buyers. In addition I sold two more campers last week, and still have two more to sell once they are completed. I will be keeping my '77 Brasilia for when we visit Cape Town every few years.

I thought that I'd give it one more shot to try and sell the Classic Camper Hire name and website domain to somebody who might want to carry on the hiring out of their own campers from wherever they are located in the country. The brand is well established and comes up at the top of Google searches after three years of trading, so it would be very easy for someone to continue trading under the name and just reload website with a new fleet in time for the busy summer season. I have had to turn away lots of advance bookings and refund booking fees on around R 50 000 worth of bookings for the rest of this year, so there is still a growing market for kombi hire in SA.

Asking price is R 50 000 for the name, website domain and loads of goodwill :)

Please PM me if interested...

'70 Dormobile - 1.6
'76 Brasilia - 1.6
Eugene
Carburettor
What model do you have?: 2 many 2 mention :-)
South Africa

Re: Classic Camper Hire - name for sale...

Post by Eugene »

Bud...if the name was Google, or Apple, maybe you stood a chance but 50K for nothing more than a name is stretching it more than just a bit...my 2c
You can never have enough Garages :-(
Derek
Crankshaft

Post by Derek »

Eugene, a trading name with an established reputation which comes out tops in a Google search for camper hire Cape Town after the business has run for three years does actually have some value for someone who wants to establish a similar business. I have already made my money selling the campers from the fleet, but it does seem a pity to just ditch the established name, website domain and the goodwill of 200 happy hirers.
'70 Dormobile - 1.6
'76 Brasilia - 1.6
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

This makes for a very interesting discussion.

In the "Old Days" a company's "Good Will" had more value then your stock in hand.

But not so sure now days, most young guys have no idea what that is and need to Google it.

(Google Meanings;- the established reputation of a business regarded as a quantifiable asset, e.g., as represented by the excess of the price paid at a takeover for a company over its fair market value.))

How is the value of a business established today, by means of proven income, or possible income, or market share, or number of advertisers attached to your web site, well i am not sure.

but I am with you Derek, a business should have "good-will" as a sell-able intellectual property.

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Piet
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: type 3, Porsche 550

Post by Piet »

Whatever the case, I wish you luck. If I had the money I would have bought the business "as is"
Derek
Crankshaft

Post by Derek »

It's a lot easier to buy an established business with a successful trading record than starting your own business from scratch...that is why franchises are so popular :) I started a unique camper hire business and it worked - even though a lot of purists were horrified at the thought of me letting strangers drive my beloved kombi's. I am starting to travel the world at the end of August so with limited time I just sold off the campers after spending three months meeting with potential buyers, many of them time wasters. Fortunately I managed to sell the fleet at good prices so I am content. It was a great adventure, and over the past 3 years I have had around 20 kombi's through my hands, so at least I did my bit in rescuing some vans from the scrapyard :) I am hanging onto the '77 Brasilia as I got it at a very good price and it's the closest I'll ever get to owning a splitty....at least it has cargo doors and cool rounded windows at the back...Thanks for those who have had kind words over the years...
'70 Dormobile - 1.6
'76 Brasilia - 1.6
Terry Phillips
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: T3,1beetle
Zambia

Post by Terry Phillips »

Wish you all the best on your adventure,best you do it now as the world is getting smaller not to many safe places left to go to but its at least getting cheaper now to tour. I done my little tour in the late 70s when the Rand was stronger than the BP I think the Rand was 2to1 and the Rhodesian Dollar was stronger than the Rand if I remember correct.
Derek
Crankshaft

Post by Derek »

Thanks Terry - you're right. We will stick to the Southern Hemisphere for the next few years, returning to Cape Town every two years or so to deal with family affairs, the inevitable funerals, etc. I am only keeping the '77 Brasilia, my Pajero and our Smart car to drive around when we are here - all of the other cars must go...
'70 Dormobile - 1.6
'76 Brasilia - 1.6