1972 Low Light Kombi Vin Number

Post general ACVW topics here
Forum rules
If its not ACVW related, post it in Off Topic.
Shunter
Drip
What model do you have?: 1972 T2 Kombi

1972 Low Light Kombi Vin Number

Post by Shunter »

I am trying with great difficulty to get my 1972 Low Light registered. I have Deregistration Certificate and all other paperwork. The problem is the VIN number. There was a plate riveted on panel behind drivers seat but this was cut off during the restoration process to fit new seats. I have this panel but SAPS are not happy that it isn`t attached to the vehicle. I have looked on the right of the engine compartment for a stamped chassis number but cannot find anything. I have been told that during the 70`s VW Uitenhage only used the plate behind the drivers seat as a VIN. They didn`t stamped chassis - presumably vehicle theft was not such a big problem then. Is there anywhere else on the Bus I can look for a VIN number. If not any suggestions?

Thanks

Dawie
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: Aircooled, various
South Africa

Re: 1972 Low Light Kombi Vin Number

Post by Dawie »

Thats indeed your vehicle's only identification number. Should not have been neccessary to remove that when restoring. Police see removing or fiddling with a chassis number as a crime. Maybe get the person who removed it to put it back. Then let he do an affidavid at the police to confirm that he put everything back exactly the way it was before.
VW did'nt simply delete those panels on later models. To compensate for lost strength, They used higher wall thickness on some other parts and extra strengthening elsewhere in the structure.
Staying Aircooled is so much nicer.
Do'nt assume anything- (While doing fault-finding).
Eugene
Carburettor
What model do you have?: 2 many 2 mention :-)
South Africa

Post by Eugene »

Dawie wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 12:49 pm Thats indeed your vehicle's only identification number.
I'd hate to disagree Dawie...the vin is stamped into the body in the engine bay. This from my one Delux donor bus. My other 72's in the same location.

You can never have enough Garages :-(
Eugene
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by Eugene »

See this post viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25201
retrovan wrote: Thu May 24, 2012 8:55 pm
From the 1st August 1969 to 31st July 1979 Chassis (VIN) Numbers were ten digits. Three of these where identification numbers and the other seven where serial numbers i.e. 2152 023 156. See below for the format:

The chassis number can be broken down as follows:

First digit the vehicle type: “2” Type 2.
Second digit the model:
1. Panel van
2. Micro Bus
3. Kombi
4. Micro Bus Deluxe
5. Micro Bus Deluxe 7 Seater
6. LHD
7. Ambulance
8. Pickup, also Micro Bus

Third digit defines the year that the vehicle was made i.e. 5 (1965) between 1st August 1964 and 31st July 1965.
Fourth digit only for production after 1st August 1969 is 2. So the forth (Extra), digit just donated that the vehicle was built in the 1970s rather than the sixties. We think they ran out of numbers! The remaining digits are the serial numbers.

The Location of the chassis (VIN) number remains on the identification plate on the right side of the air duct until the July 31st 1967. From 1st August 1967 to 31st July 1971 the Chassis number is on the engine cover below the air filter. After 31st July 1971 the Chassis (VIN) number was moved to the rear right side of the engine bay.

Hope it helps,
Herman
sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Post by sean »

Eugene wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 2:29 pm
Dawie wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 12:49 pm Thats indeed your vehicle's only identification number.
I'd hate to disagree Dawie...the vin is stamped into the body in the engine bay. This from my one Delux donor bus. My other 72's in the same location.

Very few were stamped, majority are not. I think I have one kombi that is stamped out of all of mine. The rest have that pressing in the engine bay, but no number stamped.
Dawie
Fuel Injection
South Africa

Post by Dawie »

I was under the impression that 72 was the year Uitenhage stopped stamping, until the very late 70's when they started stamped again. Maybe a mid-year change?

So hopefully mr Shunter's 72 is stamped there.
sean
Transmission
South Africa

Post by sean »

My 1972 bus has no VIN number stamped.

You must refit the panel you have cut out. You will have serious issues and cause further issues to future owners of this bus if you do not return this panel you have cut out.

Clearance knows where the plate must be, even if the number is stamped in the body, you must still have the plate.
Eugene
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by Eugene »

sean wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 2:38 pm Very few were stamped, majority are not....
Very few of yours or have you checked all 72 busses? I have two and both are stamped so I would say the majority if not all my busses are stamped :wink:
sean wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 2:38 pm Very few were stamped, majority are not. I think I have one kombi that is stamped out of all of mine. The rest have that pressing in the engine bay, but no number stamped.
Don't think...go check...you might be wrong
Dawie
Fuel Injection
South Africa

Post by Dawie »

Eugene, do you have a picture of your other chassis number? This may help us to better determine when they stopped stamping.
The count for 72 Type 2 production- (last 6 digits), was 230 000 on July 1 1972 in Germany.

On 31 Dec 1971 last 6 digits were 088 996. (Official production year starting August 1971).
At 057820, Eugene's one would be a relatively "early 72" model.

By the way, some production changes happened mid-way during 72 production year, like this:

Early 72 engine lid with short length brow over licence plate:
Later 1972- Longer brow like later bays:
Dawie
Fuel Injection
South Africa

Post by Dawie »

If someone do find an empty plate spotwelded over rear chassis number position of late bay... dont take that off.

Someone who did, found a different number starting "26...", instead of 24...(belonging to someone else's bakkie) on his kombi underneath that coverplate.

Seems that when Uitenhage stopped stamping, they had mixed pre-stamped rear valances around, estranged from their matching rivet- on plates. So they just covered the incorrect number with that spotwelded plate.
Like this:
Eugene
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by Eugene »

Dawie wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 3:40 pm Eugene, do you have a picture of your other chassis number?
Dawie, I will post next weekend..will be away on business this week.

Sean, also post pic of your engine compartment as well as vin numbers....Dawie might be on to something
Shunter
Drip
What model do you have?: 1972 T2 Kombi

Post by Shunter »

Thanks guys - I seem to have started some lively debate. The VIN number on my bus papers and plate that was behind the seat is 2422 120 821. I have that spot welded plate on valence but it is empty. I have checked area between engine and battery on right of vehicle (looking into engine). It had been sprayed and sealed with heat reflective shield - clean it up pretty well but nothing visible. Not sure where else I could possibly look. If it is stamped on right rear between motor and battery - where exactly and is the number fairly easily seen? Should I go down to bare metal or will you see it under paint? I suppose my whole dream is now in the hands of SAPS Clearance.
sean
Transmission
South Africa

Post by sean »

Eugene wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 2:04 pm
sean wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 2:38 pm Very few were stamped, majority are not....
Very few of yours or have you checked all 72 busses? I have two and both are stamped so I would say the majority if not all my busses are stamped :wink:
sean wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 2:38 pm Very few were stamped, majority are not. I think I have one kombi that is stamped out of all of mine. The rest have that pressing in the engine bay, but no number stamped.
Don't think...go check...you might be wrong
I was referring to my busses yes. I just went to double check for your uncle, since you doubt my memory. I have infact 2 that are stamped, both 1979, all my other late bays have nothing. I did also spot that plate spot welded on some, not sure the reason behind it until seeing Dawies post now.

Just checking another 3 busses at home now, my one 74 has a no number and no spot welded plate, just smooth, my 2 1975's have no numbers either, but the one has a spot welded plate, the other one not.

Very strange indeed.
Dawie
Fuel Injection
South Africa

Post by Dawie »

Shunter wrote: "Not sure where else I could possibly look."
That position next to battery was only used on older models which did not have the raised portion on the left and solid rear valance like yours. Your correct number is not stamped anywhere on the vehicle. Only proof of chassis/vehicle ID is on the panel that was removed.

To prevent some serious issues in future, if it was me, i would carefully put back that panel in such a way that its difficult to see that it was removed before. Police sometimes impound vehicles where they suspect the chassis number has been tampered with or might be from another vehicle. I've seen them confiscate a BMW which was before me in the que at Police clearance. From their point of view... they have no 100% proof that the loose panel you show them is not from a different vehicle.
Eugene
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by Eugene »

sean wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:55 pm I was referring to my busses yes. I just went to double check for your uncle, since you doubt my memory. I have infact 2 that are stamped, both 1979, all my other late bays have nothing. I did also spot that plate spot welded on some, not sure the reason behind it until seeing Dawies post now.

Just checking another 3 busses at home now, my one 74 has a no number and no spot welded plate, just smooth, my 2 1975's have no numbers either, but the one has a spot welded plate, the other one not.

Very strange indeed.
Yea, I was actually only referring to 72 busses, as that is what this post is about