Received fines and summons for car that is not mine

Post general ACVW topics here
Forum rules
If its not ACVW related, post it in Off Topic.
Eugene
Carburettor
What model do you have?: 2 many 2 mention :-)
South Africa

Received fines and summons for car that is not mine

Post by Eugene »

As per the subject, I have received two fines and subsequently summons' for these fines. I refused to sign and the clerk noted on the summons that neither the car, nor the registration numbers belong to me. So how did they end up with me?

If you are in a position to extract owner information for a registration number, please PM me.

You can never have enough Garages :-(
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Re: Received fines and summons for car that is not mine

Post by fig »

Cloned number plates or cloned identity.

FYI, you don't have to accept the summons for it to be lawfully served. It only has to be handed to a person over age 16 at your premises. You can always afford to ignore fines, but as soon as you know summons has been issued you must take action or risk a contempt of court charge and arrest. Your best response now should be to make a written repesentation to the prosecutor explaining why you are not liable, giving what documentary evidence you have. The case will likely be withdrawn then.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
fig
Bus Driver
South Africa

Post by fig »

In December I got a camera speeding fine for a bakkie in PE that had the same Mpumalanga registration number as had been on a Mitsubishi L300 camper that I owned, although it got a new GP plate when I registered it in my name, so the old plate that got the fine had never been registered to me, and in fact I had sold the car the month before getting the fine. So it's not only criminals causing this chaos, it's incompetence by the authorities.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

This sounds like identity theft.

You will probably find the car is registered in your name, without you knowing it.

This is easily done with bent clerks in the lic dept.

So unless you can prove that you do not have the car, and never have, you will be held responsible for the fines.

So it you can not name the driver at that time, or prove you where some place else at the time, it will be hard.

Go to your lic dept, get a printout of cars on your name, and if something else is on there, apply for duplicate RC as quick as possible and scrap it, as you may get much more :bn: then you need.

Good luck

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
fig
Bus Driver
South Africa

Post by fig »

retrovan wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:44 am Go to your lic dept, get a printout of cars on your name, and if something else is on there, apply for duplicate RC as quick as possible and scrap it, as you may get much more :bn: then you need.
As much as this will cost you time and money, it's probably the simplest solution, followed by a formal charge of identity theft laid with the cops, to establish a paper trail to respond to any future fines, etc.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

Merlin
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?:  Various

Post by Merlin »

I got a fine on one of my reg' plates a few years back. The problem was that whilst it was clearly my reg', it was affixed to the front of a Renault Scenic.

In all honesty, I was more perturbed about being referenced as the owner of a Renault Scenic than having my plate cloned. :mrgreen:
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, and oversteer, the rear.
Hp is how fast you hit the wall, and Torque is how far you take the wall with you."
sled wrote:well obviously the UK is wrong.