Has the market collapsed for Bay window Kombi's in SA?

Post general ACVW topics here
Forum rules
If its not ACVW related, post it in Off Topic.
Derek
Crankshaft
What model do you have?: 1971, 1972, 1978
Facebook: Derek Antonio Serra

Has the market collapsed for Bay window Kombi's in SA?

Post by Derek »

Hi all. I've traveling been abroad for 10 months so I am a bit out of the loop regarding the kombi market in SA. As I still own a '76 Devon camper and a '75 Brasilia I do still retain an interest in kombi's even though Classic Camper Hire is a thing of the past.

Now and then I check Gumtree for campers and Kombi's mainly from habit, and it seems that people are struggling to sell bay windows, especially Westfalia's. I saw three of the vans I sold being advertised for lengthy periods of time. One has sold after I advised the seller to price it more realistically after he asked for advice. Any ideas on what has been happening to the market over the past year? Even what seem like well-priced vehicles remain unsold...

'70 Dormobile - 1.6
'76 Brasilia - 1.6
acpaterson
Carburettor
What model do you have?: Winston, a 74 Bay
South Africa

Re: Has the market collapsed for Bay window Kombi's in SA?

Post by acpaterson »

Hi Derek, hope you're having fun travelling the world. Been watching now and then on FB.

I think the market "comes and goes". I watch it all the time as a matter of personal interest. I won't sell mine, but, I have seen some stupid asking prices which I doubt get reached. Same goes for the wrecked splitties. I can't say what the final numbers are, I think, if you're in the right place at the right time, and the right buyer comes along, then a sale will happen, weather it achieves the sellers asking price or not is another story.

regards

Alan
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

My observation is that the entire SA classic car market is in a bit of a slump. I think we're all under the whip to pay for the Zupta excesses.

I'm seeing a lot of what I consider well priced classics remaining advertised for months. Also lots of overpriced cars that don't sell. I suspect a lot of the cars that do sell go for considerably less than asking price.

As Alan says, markets move in cycles. We're on a down cycle now, but that will change.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
spicydave
Oil Seal
What model do you have?: 1973
South Africa

Post by spicydave »

I advertised my Baywindow and Autovilla a while back

My Baywindow I advertised for R150K with two roof racks and Kombi tent - Sold it for R145k without one roofrack and the tent

My Autovilla I advertised for R120K with Tip-Tow trailer and delivery countrywide - Sold for R110k without the trailer and buyer flew up from Durban and drove it back

Sold the Tip-Tow for R10K including the Kombi Tent

So did get fairly close to my prices but also received some crazy offers on them
Terry Phillips
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: T3,1beetle
Zambia

Post by Terry Phillips »

Now try and buy another one with what you had done to your one.
Derek
Crankshaft

Post by Derek »

Thanks for the input... I think some guys who bought to flip are going to get stung by asking too high prices. From what I heard, the UK market is also over traded right now, so foreign buyers are not that common, especially when local prices have rocketed... I'm glad I bought when I did at the prices I paid.

I must say, it's heart-warming to see my old campers out in the world and in the market place. They live again after being dragged out of backyards and garages 😁
'70 Dormobile - 1.6
'76 Brasilia - 1.6
sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Post by sean »

It’s good to here values are lower than normal. Hopefully later the stupid price issue is over and no one wants them and they worthless. It was better that way years ago.
Eugene
Carburettor
What model do you have?: 2 many 2 mention :-)
South Africa

Post by Eugene »

sean wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:48 pm It’s good to here values are lower than normal. Hopefully later the stupid price issue is over and no one wants them and they worthless. It was better that way years ago.
I don't think prices are lower. The clown with the modded, "original but restored" car, expecting to become a millionaire overnight, despite his rattle can spray job, will still not sell his car. The true original will and can still demand high prices. They will never bevome less collectable. It's about what I am prepared to pay for your car.
Let me give you an example. Take the green Delux you bought. Do you think you paid too much for it and if you did, why did you buy it? Now I'll offer you double, what you paid for it! Stupid price? Yes....no?
You can never have enough Garages :-(
sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Post by sean »

Eugene wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:24 am
sean wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:48 pm It’s good to here values are lower than normal. Hopefully later the stupid price issue is over and no one wants them and they worthless. It was better that way years ago.
Let me give you an example. Take the green Delux you bought. Do you think you paid too much for it and if you did, why did you buy it? Now I'll offer you double, what you paid for it! Stupid price? Yes....no?
To put it this way, I would have much rather paid less for it, but I wanted it badly. I bought it because I wanted it, I couldn't care less if it halves in value tomorrow, I got the vehicle I wanted because I like it, not based on what it could be worth. It would certainly be beneficial if they became a lot cheaper because I could simply buy more. If you don't wheel and deal in classics and just care about preserving them and growing a collection, high prices just cause limitations.
Eugene
Carburettor
What model do you have?: 2 many 2 mention :-)
South Africa

Post by Eugene »

sean wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:44 am To put it this way, I would have much rather paid less for it...
...It would certainly be beneficial if they became a lot cheaper because I could simply buy more
and that was my point...they are not silly prices...we would all just prefer them to be lower :lol:
You can never have enough Garages :-(
Derek
Crankshaft

Post by Derek »

My feeling is that South African's are feeling the pinch financially and may not have the spare cash to buy old cars requiring additional restoration at high cost at the moment. I think that in the long run prices will not drop for really good kombi's...but the hacked vans will struggle to find buyers at unrealistic prices.
'70 Dormobile - 1.6
'76 Brasilia - 1.6