Bun Fight - restore or repair - be nice no personal attack

Post general ACVW topics here
Forum rules
If its not ACVW related, post it in Off Topic.
Derek
Crankshaft
What model do you have?: 1971, 1972, 1978
Facebook: Derek Antonio Serra

Re: Bun Fight - restore or repair - be nice no personal attack

Post by Derek »

Jacques I now travel for 6-8 months of the year, and spend summers in Cape Town. I still own two kombi's, and keep my eyes open for vehicles when I am in the country. Recently bought a 70 Dormobile with original interior which I am 'repairing' for personal use. So I am still around to irritate members of the site now and then 😁

'70 Dormobile - 1.6
'76 Brasilia - 1.6
Jdt1976
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 1952 beetle

Post by Jdt1976 »

splitbusahollic wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:00 pm
Jdt1976 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:56 pm Ai, I was wondering if I should get involved with the politricks.
Best I don't. I am here to enjoy the knowledge of others and might be able to help now and then.
Get involved Jaco :lol: nothing like a bit of politricks to spice things up a bit :wink: give Us your thoughts on this 8)
Lol. No, will rather not, not looking forward to all the phone calls. Not everyone is as thick skinned as Sean & Herman. And I enjoy everyone's contribution and had a nice weekend with all forum members at the KKK.

So Jacques, are you sure you want me to share my thoughts. Will you be able to handle it? :evil:
Eugene
Carburettor
What model do you have?: 2 many 2 mention :-)
South Africa

Post by Eugene »

Why would anybody want to restore a vin plate? Who sells these things anyway ;-)
You can never have enough Garages :-(
Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: none

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Some interesting viewpoints here.

Personally, I feel that it's a personal choice in terms of mods and the type of car that you like and want to build.

Buy a project that you like
Buy some wheels
Do your lowering/raising
Go with your choice of (tasteful!) mods and not butchery
if you like period parts or parts unique to other markets, source them and fit.

Simple as that.

Someone commented that the average South African would rather sit and watch TV the whole weekend instead of messing about with cars.

Touche.

Same people will always moan that parts are hard to find/rare/skaars/expensive, while sitting and binge-watching series/movies/soccer etc instead of actually making an effort and looking for stuff.

With the internet, cars have become a global scene.

You can source most anything and one of the biggest misconceptions is that if it's imported, it has to be expensive. Not so. I have found so much of stuff shipped to SA cheaper than what they are being sold for locally.

Bottom line is. Enjoy your car, chase those rare parts locally and overseas. Drive it. Carry on improving it.

I for one will never understand this dumb SA culture of watercooled hacks. if you want a Golf. buy one, they are enjoyable in their own right.

I've yet to met someone who has done a cheap watercooled conversion, every single one that I know of has ended up costing the hacker way more than if they had to stay aircooled. I had to laugh at the R60k Golf engine conversion that someone quoted a friend recently for his Bay, he ended up buying a clean 2.3i Kombi instead and put a Type 4 back into his Bay for that R60k...

What is the excuse for not having more decent aircooleds around?

We have resources
We have good donors
More and more cars are being imported into the country
Even with a weak exchange rate parts are available

or is just a case of apathy and not being influenced by the rest of the world? And doing our own bullshit thing like Datsun hacks?

I don't know.
If it's too low, you're too old :twisted:
Dawie
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: Aircooled, various
South Africa

Post by Dawie »

From the other thread it seems that after all, the vast majority at George show liked Herman's 52 beetle. No idea who the "disliking, complaining, close-up photographers" were. Did you tell them exactly where to stick their camera.

I dont care what others think/ approve about my cars.
Staying Aircooled is so much nicer.
Do'nt assume anything- (While doing fault-finding).
sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Post by sean »

I took pictures of Herman's car. Does nobody else take pictures at a car show?

Didn't realise this was a crime.....
Hloni
Exhaust Pipe
What model do you have?: It was a '75.

Post by Hloni »

I sold my air-cooled 6 years ago as I prepared for married life - needed to buy a cow to feed the nation! I have though kept an Italian in the shed for tee last 8 years, and I've been contemplating WHAT to do with her as I want a road trip in 2023 with the missus.

Question I have is:
* fix the 1975 motor and find a fundi somewhere who will make her purr again.
* slap a modern fuel injected motor with a cat to keep ozone layer intact and my father will keep ploughing the field in a predictable manner as the rains will fall when the rains will fall.
* no one needs to know what's under the bonnet, even if I take the Italian to a show.
* spend as much resources as possible on the stoppers. Car needs to stop when I put me right foot to work.
* use the best paint my pocket can afford, and don't try match it with an "original color".

I don't plan to hack any other car in the process of rebuilding my car. I live on the wrong side of the railway line to find the hidden gems. So, how best do I ensure that I build a car that I, the one who spent the money, will enjoy!! I'm building the car for me. Yes, me. I am paying for it. Not the oom who has been to Italy and drove the "original" model and remembers when he was knee-high how he owned his 1st KDK.

I believe if we are to find things we appreciate in people's builds/restores or even their butching, then hopefully the younger ones will hear what the ol' folks have to say. The dilemma though is millenials are disrupters, and they are gonna disrupt and shake the box for purists!! Bloody hell, hippies were disrupters and painted their beloved busses and beetles using paint brushes and slapping nice flowers on them.

Sent from my ConeXis X1 using Tapatalk

"Volkswagen customers want a relationship with their cars. Names like The Thing, Beetle, Fox, and Rabbit support this" - Kerri Martin
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

More information is needed if we are to tell you which Japanese motor to fit this Italian stallion......

what make and model is it, and if you need to cut the back window out,

remember some think it takes 4 body workers 6 months to change, not worth it I say...

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Eugene
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by Eugene »

Herman and Sean, this here forum would be the ultimate loser if any of you were to leave, so please stop this unnecessary "banter" and let bygones be bygones. I saw this coming a long time ago with jokes about grinders and whatnot....just let it be. You both are at the opposite ends of the spectrum and there are room for both......just both of you take a step back and breath.....count to 10.....there we go ;-)
Dawie
Fuel Injection
South Africa

Post by Dawie »

What is the chance that this is a joke, hatched during a campfire at George show?
Eugene
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by Eugene »

Dawie wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:23 am What is the chance that this is a joke, hatched during a campfire at George show?
Nah...neither of them is clever enough to do that :twisted: :hiding:
Jdt1976
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 1952 beetle

Post by Jdt1976 »

Eugene wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:45 am
Dawie wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:23 am What is the chance that this is a joke, hatched during a campfire at George show?
Nah...neither of them is clever enough to do that :twisted: :hiding:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Hloni
Exhaust Pipe

Post by Hloni »

retrovan wrote:More information is needed if we are to tell you which Japanese motor to fit this Italian stallion......

what make and model is it, and if you need to cut the back window out,

remember some think it takes 4 body workers 6 months to change, not worth it I say...

Herman
I've misunderstood the opening post. I thought I wouldn't be told "not worth it", & that I was sharing my own personal preference. What did I miss Image

"Volkswagen customers want a relationship with their cars. Names like The Thing, Beetle, Fox, and Rabbit support this" - Kerri Martin
Dawie
Fuel Injection
South Africa

Post by Dawie »

Think this was your aircooled...
So you went Italian, and want to do some road trip in 2023. Which type of Italian car? If you dont mind whats under the bonnet and like economical- small diesel like Kubota or Yanmar. If you want to stay Italian go Lombardini. Think an Isuzu bakkie engine is difficult to fit in an Italian car. Unless the car is red and have a horse. In which case engine fits somewhere in the middle where there is more space.
Old direct-injection Isuzu diesels are more fuel-efficient and might nicely fit Mercedes cars. Especially the 250KB non-abnormally aspirated version.

On News 24 there was this true story about an Italian car.

"An Uno, 2 cows and 2 goats.

In a bizarre case of overloading, two policemen in northern KwaZulu-Natal impounded a blue Fiat Uno on Thursday which was being used to transport two cows and two goats.

Police spokesman Captain Jabulani Mdletshe said two off-duty policemen were informed by residents of the Phelindaba area near Emanguzi in northern KwaZulu-Natal that they had seen a man loading a cow into the small vehicle.

By the time the two officers arrived, the driver had loaded his vehicle and attempted to speed away. Realising that he was not losing the police, he stopped his car and fled into the bushes.

The police officers discovered that the Fiat Uno had not one unwilling passenger, but four - two cows and two goats.

The animals were later handed over to the Hluhluwe Stock Theft Unit.

Police were investigating."
Hloni
Exhaust Pipe

Post by Hloni »

Dawie wrote:Think this was your aircooled...
I totally forgot about this Citroën.
Used to own a '75 tp, 1600 Beetle.

I own a '75 Giulia. Yes, she be a pitta red in color now.