I almost killed my engine

Post general ACVW topics here
Forum rules
If its not ACVW related, post it in Off Topic.
calooker
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 77 SP

Re: I almost killed my engine

Post by calooker »

That Empi regulator quality is real crap, used one a few years ago, the threads were so poor that it leaked fuel took reveral atempts with plumbers tape to stop the leaking, and there was allways fuel stain / sweating on the top telling me it leaked from the knob. Later I got of a low pressure fuel guage, the regulator setting was no where near what the guage indicated. I turfed that Empi Kak and got a old school filter king item, the settings was spot on with the guage.
My moto is I WILL NOT USE A EMPI part on a engine even if its free, I've paid the school fees.

For what it's worth, ignorance has no limits ......
Ricoffy
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: 1600 off-road thing

Post by Ricoffy »

I fitted the regulator and the pressure was off about 0,5 psi. The setting on the dial was at 2psi and the guage indicated 2,5 psi, which I am satisfied with.

After doing some research on the regulator., it seems the predominant complaints are fuel leakage from the dial due to the poor seal, inaccurate settings and fuel leakage from the fittings in and out of the regualtor.

First and foremost, I do not have leakage from the line going into and out of the regulator. The readings are inaccurate, but still within range. The issue of leakage from the dial itself, in my opinion, stems from the fact that you have to press the dial down to adjust the pressure thereby unlocking the gear setting. This causes the dial to vibrate during driving which may cause damage to the seal. I used on of my wife's "haar rekkies" which I looped and fittrd underneath the dial and the regulator itself. This seems to have created a tight fit between the dial and the regulator whixh stops any vibration. It can also be easily removed to increase or lower the pressure on the regulator.

I am glad to report no issues as of yet. I am planning to drive it on a 60km gravel road to the farm and will check for any leakage religiously.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to use it in a fruit salad...
acpaterson
Carburettor
What model do you have?: Winston, a 74 Bay
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Ricoffy, it seems you're adamant to go your route, irrespective of what anyone else suggests, and irrespective of the accumulative experience here.

So, good luck going forward pal. While I'm nowhere near the same level as Tony, Sean etc, I HAVE experienced the poor quality of the items you insist on using, so when the shit eventually goes wrong, don't say you weren't warned.
Ricoffy
Oil Stain

Post by Ricoffy »

acpaterson wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:07 am Ricoffy, it seems you're adamant to go your route, irrespective of what anyone else suggests, and irrespective of the accumulative experience here.

So, good luck going forward pal. While I'm nowhere near the same level as Tony, Sean etc, I HAVE experienced the poor quality of the items you insist on using, so when the shit eventually goes wrong, don't say you weren't warned.
For sake of goodwill, I will not answer you in the same tone you have addressed me.

I appreciate all the advice I have received. Look at it from my perspective:

1) The buggy is actually a present for my father in law. I am taking it to the farm on Friday. I do not have the time (or the funds in my budget) to order a new regulator.

2) I find myself in the far north of Namibia. On any given day, I am about 15 hours drive to and from the nearest spare shop that offers VW beetle parts. If I have to order from SA, and apart from the costs associated with an import agent, it takes about 14 days before I receive a part.

3) I am new with VW aircooled motors. This was a tremendous learning curve for me. If I knew then what I knew now, I would have approached the build differently.

4) I have a budget (which I have already far exceeded).

5) This build is not a daily drive. It will be driven about once a week on the farm. Given the small budget I had, and my lack of knowledge, I purchased and fitted what was at my disposal. I did not have any other luxury you have in SA.

6) I already purchased and ordered the regulator by the time I posted this thread. What am I supposed to do, return it (without using it) on the basis that some people advised me it may be a crap product? What about the import duty and fees I have paid to import it from SA?

7) Based on the advice I have received in this thread, I know what to look out for - and I am grateful for those who made constructive criticisms and advice.

I am not picking a fight, nor am I ignorant of the advice given. My circumstances however forces me into a certain direction.
Last edited by Ricoffy on Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ricoffy
Oil Stain

Post by Ricoffy »

John Alves wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:27 am Why aren't you using the stock pump?
It had an electric pump fitted when I got it - figured there must be a reason for the electric pump. I also could not get a mechanical pump in Nam.

When I bought the new electric pump (previous pump's o-rings were damaged and leaking fuel) the dealer told me 0,3 bar would not be too much for the carb to handle - which I now know was not the case.
Ricoffy
Oil Stain

Post by Ricoffy »

acpaterson wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:14 am Hope it works ok for a while, but I'd really suggest you do what Tony suggests and get the Holley unit, or better yet, the correct pump. The Empi stuff is just bad and dangerous.
Keep a fire extinguisher on-board.

regards

Alan
If the regulator goes south, I will try and source a Holley unit, thanks.
Dawie
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: Aircooled, various
South Africa

Post by Dawie »

One option that may suit your farm-buggy is using gravity feed for the fuel. Especially if you could get away with much smaller tank than 40 liter. Mount fuel container higher than carb and use stoptap like a motorcycle. No fuel pump needed.
Staying Aircooled is so much nicer.
Do'nt assume anything- (While doing fault-finding).
73type2
Pushrod
What model do you have?: '73 T2 Single Cab
France

Post by 73type2 »

Ricoffy, what i've learnt from my troubles with fuel pumps is that the ultimate aim (for me) was to get a mechanical pump which operates at the correct pressure. Introducing a pressure regulator, no matter if its EMPI, Holley or whatever, just introduces more connections that could lead to possible leaks, and possibly disaster.
Ricoffy
Oil Stain

Post by Ricoffy »

Dawie wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:50 am One option that may suit your farm-buggy is using gravity feed for the fuel. Especially if you could get away with much smaller tank than 40 liter. Mount fuel container higher than carb and use stoptap like a motorcycle. No fuel pump needed.
I was advised to do that on another forum, but the load bin (about 10cm above the fan housing) does not permit it. Space is very limited (see pic below). If I fit it on the load bin itself, it would negate the already limited space to load something in the load bin.

The other issue I thought about would be that it may be a fire hazard right above the engine.

Dawie
Fuel Injection
South Africa

Post by Dawie »

Another option- have a small container mounted high. Fit a return line from top of container back to old tank. Pipe at bottom feeds carb. Fuel pump keeps this little container filled and excess drains back to tank.
Ricoffy
Oil Stain

Post by Ricoffy »

73type2 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:52 am Ricoffy, what i've learnt from my troubles with fuel pumps is that the ultimate aim (for me) was to get a mechanical pump which operates at the correct pressure. Introducing a pressure regulator, no matter if its EMPI, Holley or whatever, just introduces more connections that could lead to possible leaks, and possibly disaster.
I agree. If there is one place you do not want a fire its on a cattle farm :D

With the next build, I'll keep it simple and unmodified as much as possible. Turns out it is cheaper that way.
Ricoffy
Oil Stain

Post by Ricoffy »

Dawie wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:56 am Another option- have a small container mounted high. Fit a return line from top of container back to old tank. Pipe at bottom feeds carb. Fuel pump keeps this little container filled and excess drains back to tank.
Like a surge tank of sorts?

One guy on another forum suggested this:

Dawie
Fuel Injection
South Africa

Post by Dawie »

Not like that. Pressure would still be all over the place /flow speed dependent if using a restrictor. (Highest at idle, lowest at max power, the opposite of what you want).

The "reservoir" could be homemade. Brazed together using farm tools. Small like half a litre or even less. From it's bottom outlet a pipe feeds the carb. Pump keeps reservoir filled. Overflow from top returns excess fuel back to tank.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Yip, no restrictors in the system.
fuel tank to pump to reservoir (surge tank). Surge tank gravity feeds carb. Overflow from surge tank back to main tank from top of surge tank, using same size piping as inlet system.
You could feed it back to the suction side of the fuel pump to reduce plumbing, but then you will be heating the fuel which will add to detonation/pre-ignition issues
Outlet from top of surge tank allows any air in this tank to be pumped back to the main tank and then out via breather.

You;ve got the EMPI regulator installed now. So since you are happy with it, keep it for now.
Order the Holley now and when it arrives, install it. Maybe consider a rebuild kit while you are at it, they are pretty cheap.
Yes its more money, but its a fk load cheaper than pissing fuel all over the place or burning down your car. You might not worry about your father in law getting burned, but I'm sure your wife wont be impressed.
Ricoffy
Oil Stain

Post by Ricoffy »

acpaterson wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:07 am Ricoffy, it seems you're adamant to go your route, irrespective of what anyone else suggests, and irrespective of the accumulative experience here.

Just a heads-up, the regulator is still going strong :twisted: