License disc renewal + validity in covid

Post general ACVW topics here
Forum rules
If its not ACVW related, post it in Off Topic.
Dawie
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: Aircooled, various
South Africa

License disc renewal + validity in covid

Post by Dawie »

Had the following experience at license office today. (Online renewal process seemed to have a delay/ very busy problem. So after 2 weeks of still getting "in process" status online, went to Traffic department to prevent too much late penalties after the 31st).

Some confusing statements were made in the media.

Vehicles expired in June and later... (2020-06-30) are excluded from extended covid- grace period.
A penalty of 10% was added to each vehicle which expired in June, as today, (end of July), is after the normal 21 day grace period. This showed as "debt" on the form. New disc expires 2021-06-30, so still a 12- month period.
Having gone there before 1st August saved another 10% penalty per month per vehicle which would then be added because of late registration.

Good news is that the disc which expired during lockdown...(2020-05-31), had no penalties and new expiry date only 2021-08-31. As expected. Only payed for 12 months. While getting an extra 3 months for free-mahala- gratis there.

Staying Aircooled is so much nicer.
Do'nt assume anything- (While doing fault-finding).
sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Re: License disc renewal + validity in covid

Post by sean »

I have been cursing these idiots for weeks. My driver has wasted 3 entire days waiting and going back and forth with issues. He had around 13 renewals, every time they were only prepared to help him with 3 transactions and sent him back to the end of the 200m long line. Then as we don't get renewal forms anymore, they insisted to fill in green forms for each vehicle. Then guess what, they found more vehicles expired under my name, so they only gave the licence updated with no disk. Went back the same day to update the offending other vehicles and then get disk from other renewals only to be told they want new green forms again for the same vehicles. :x

I also had some vehicles which expired end of Feb, which I would have renewed within the 21 days in March, but then lockdown was announced and I didn't get to it. So now renewing, I was charged all arrears and penalties month on month.

I also had vehicles to roadworthy for transfer, guess what, expired. Then wanted to go back to the municipal roadworthy centre only to find out they opened and after 2 days someone was tested positive, so they close for 2 weeks. Then opened again for 1 day after that, guess what, another positive case and again closed for 2 weeks.
Jdt1976
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 1952 beetle

Post by Jdt1976 »

Going to the licence department must be one of the most frustrating things one have to do.
I did all my roadworthies and paid all licences that was going to expired on 31 March before lockdown was announced, so at least that was sorted.

So first June when the private roadworthy centre opened I had two trucks with their trailers first in line. All done but the licence department only opened after a week or two, they first had to do sanitize the place after being closed for two months. :?: Then they opened but were striking because of wage increases not implemented.

So they were more closed that open during June and July. After reading the changed regulations last week I suspected the licences that expire end of June is not included in the extensions and was worried the roadworties are also going to expire.

So went to look this morning and they were open. They refused to take my bulk application because its Saturday (had 20 to do, so usually one give it in at the bulk counter and collect after a day or two) They usually but like most times it all depends on the person that helps you (or not). So I took the five I was worried the RWC going to expire out the bulk package and they did do them. Had to pay penalties on the truck and trailer that expired end of June. They gave me a hiding of R9k on the unit, but nothing on the ones before 31 May.
All roadworthies expired too. Thought they would give an extension on the RWC’s and be lenient as they were closed more than they were open.
Jdt1976
Donor
Donor

Post by Jdt1976 »

lowlight
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: beetle, bus, kg
South Africa

Post by lowlight »

Also paid the penalty, but fill in a form to claim back the amount as they were closed due to COVID19. Will see?
Some days we are the flies , some days we are the windscreens
Jdt1976
Donor
Donor

Post by Jdt1976 »

lowlight wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:19 am Also paid the penalty, but fill in a form to claim back the amount as they were closed due to COVID19. Will see?
I wasn't told about a form to get money back. But was given someone's number and he would half it for you before you pay.
So I guess he would fill in the form and take the other half?