Past History Splitscreen HNZ 326T or GZW 322T

Post general ACVW topics here
Forum rules
If its not ACVW related, post it in Off Topic.
SteveUK
Drip
What model do you have?: Splitcreen Camper
Great Britain

Past History Splitscreen HNZ 326T or GZW 322T

Post by SteveUK »

Hi,
I've just bought a great split screen in UK that was built/assembled in South Africa probably around 1973 and imported to UK 2016. I have no history at all but i have the VWSA plate on the roof vent and a few other pointers. The front screen has HNZ 326T etched and the rear screen - etched on the inside (so likely reversed at some point - GZW 322T - or a replacement part. The chassis number is recorded as 2332011334 and it has a Porsche 356 engine fitted which I believe was done in South Africa. I'd really like any information or advice on the best way too get it - it doesn't look like it has had a hard life and has elements from a Westphalia van conversion that might be original.
Best wishes
Steve

fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Re: Past History Splitscreen HNZ 326T or GZW 322T

Post by fig »

Split screen bus you say? Sounds like you've bought a proper hodge-podge.

The VIN you quote is from a 1973 baywindow kombi. No way that VIN was ever legitimately on any split bus, not even a Brazilian one.

The old T (= Transvaal) plates stayed with a car. The fact that you have 2 different T registrations etched in the windows implies one or more of the windows came from another car.

How about some pics of your bus and the VIN and any other ID plates.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
SteveUK
Drip
Great Britain

Post by SteveUK »

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly - I've attached a few images I had and I'll get images of the chassis numbers asap - van is in the shop having a few jobs done but will get them early next week.
Dawie
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: Aircooled, various
South Africa

Post by Dawie »

Someone may recognize the vehicle from your pictures.
Last "wide rear hatch" (64-67), split kombi left Uitenhage factory in 1967. Vehicle weight on plate would show in pounds.
Inside engine compartment on the right, is there a number stamped?
Around 1971 speedos changed to metric.
During 1975 the Brazilian split (narrow rear hatch), was assembled as cheaper option alongside German spec Bay. Weight on plate would be in Kg.
Staying Aircooled is so much nicer.
Do'nt assume anything- (While doing fault-finding).
Haans
Camshaft
What model do you have?: 1960 ghia
South Africa

Post by Haans »

Steve,....I did have a whiskey last evening,....but,...are my eyes deceiving me ?.....does this bus have suicide doors ? 👀👀
Haans
SteveUK
Drip
Great Britain

Post by SteveUK »

Hi Fig, Dawe & Haans,
Many thanks for responding. The van is due out of the shop midweek so I can image the right rear engine bay and any other detail you need. I'll also take some more pics of the side and rear view. Thanks for the increasing amount of detail surrounding production of these, numbers etc. It has a mph speedo. As as for the suicide doors Haans, it was not the whiskey - it has had some custom work done to the body, including side opening engine door which I am thinking of retaining, bifold side doors which I am returning to original barn door style and the suicide doors which I will consider retaining if we can find some suitable handles internally and externally to operate them that fit/blend in - otherwise it will be back to original. At the moment they work only on electrically operated remote controlled solenoids !
Best
Steve
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Post by fig »

Volkswagen of South Africa was only constituted in 1966, so this would be a 1966 or 1967 if the manufacturer's plate is original to the bus. Before 1966, VWs in SA were assembled by South African Motor Assemblers and Distributors (SAMAD).

1967s have lots of one-year only features, the most obvious being the radio cut-out and blank.

Your bus also has a Westfalia flip-seat, which I believe were only built until 1961, but I stand to be corrected on that. If it was originally a westy, it was definitely not assembled in South Africa. But, since your bus has a wide rear hatch, it can't be older than a 1964.

As Dawie said, the original VIN would have been stamped on the bodywork to the right of the engine.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford