Wiper motor problems (long post)

Technical diagrams & drawings
ZeroAxe
Drive Train
What model do you have?: FUmobile

Wiper motor problems (long post)

Post by ZeroAxe »

Ok, can I start this thread by asking please, can we refrain from high jacking it :?: Hopefully this can serve as some kind of sticky for future reference...

The wiper motor problem is concerning a Super Beetle 1303 (European) model that has got the intermittent relay included in the circuit. I have manually drawn two circuit diagrams on paper, cutting out everything that has got nothing to do with the wiper blades. Please refer to the image at the bottom of this post. (if the links go dead at any point, let me know by PM so I can fix it).

So here is the problem. Since the first time I used the wipers, with the intermittent movement, the blades would not always 'park' in the 'zero' position. Sometimes it parked higher up the wind screen after each cycle. And that is NOT normal behavior. It seemed that the circuit(or whatever) had to warm up at first, and after a few cycles, it would park properly. This I thought suspect from day one...

So one day on the way back from work(nice and sunny day, funny enough!!) the wipers just switched on by itself :!: I did the first thing that came to mind and pulled over, switching off the car. Fiddled with the wiper switch etc, but with no luck. I continued to drive like that and about 5km later, the car cut out. (for those interested, I will explain why it cut out in another post, if wanted) Anyway, long story short, there was another reason the car cut out, it was just coincidental.

The first time I pulled over, I pulled EVERY fuse, but the wipers would not stop :!: :!: :evil: Neither would they stop, if the wiper blades plug under the steering column was pulled :!: :!: :!: :evil: :evil: Obviously this circuit got power from where it was not supposed to. After speaking to a local VW buff on the cell, I found one wire under the steering column that, if unplugged, the wipers stopped. The wire I am referring to is marked "Connector" on the bottom diagram, on the right. The culprit seems to be the relay that is wired into the circuit (bottom diagram on photo) And this little bastard costs £50-00!!!! Yes, that is R690-00 :!: Eina bliksem!

Now, to make a short post long, here is my question to you auto-electricians out there.... I want to remove this relay from my circuit, and get the wipers to work again. I dont really need the intermittent function. That is why I have included both diagrams on one page, to reference the two and 'cut out' what needs to be cut. Auto electrics is not really my thing, but when push comes to shove, I CAN do it. It just takes me longer to figure things out. For those of you that this is a piece of cake, can you please advise me how I should tackle this problem.

Thanks in advance :!:

(if my drawings are not clear enough, let me know and I can go into detail)

Now for the pic:

VW Enthusiast
ImageImageImageImage
ZeroAxe
Drive Train

Post by ZeroAxe »

*bump*

Anyone :?:
VW Enthusiast
ImageImageImageImage
Rabid_ant
Clutch
What model do you have?: TBC

Post by Rabid_ant »

give me some time....i'lll have a good look and get back to you. EIsh, my wifes going to kill me.....will get back to you on the next few days...if that's ok!
Ants dig sand!

1.9 KCC Porsche Speedster
http://www.saspeedsters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ZeroAxe
Drive Train

Post by ZeroAxe »

Thanks Rabid_ant, appreciate it! I will try and do some more research from my side too....
VW Enthusiast
ImageImageImageImage