Just cannot find proper job!

Members can advertise their services here...
Cyberbeast
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: 1974 Beetle

Just cannot find proper job!

Post by Cyberbeast »

Hi all...

I'm writing this with a VERY depressed mood hanging over me... but bear with me.

Last year, I worked for a guy in Centurion that opened up his new shop, selling security equipment. But it turned out to be a bad spot for the shop, and there was almost NO business, and the guy started to become a real idiot, blaming me for everything that went wrong. And one day, after a huge fight with him and his father, I decided to quit in December, which I did.

Then I tried freelancing a bit in Web Development and Design, but I've not earned a cent from that up to now, which left me broke! Now, well, I'm screwed, because from March, I've been trying to find a permanent job in Web Development, but nothing! What the hell is wrong with me? Apparently I do not interview well, but that is because I get so freakin nervous that I start to stutter a bit. From my last interview, my confidence is non-existent. Feels like I'm only going to be able to become a cashier at the local Checkers!

Now, I have a B.IS Multimedia Degree, and I know HTML and CSS very well, while my PHP and MySQL is quite good as well. I also know my way around Adobe Fireworks, Adobe Dreamweaver and Adobe Flash, as well as a bit of Adobe Photoshop.

Does anyone have any interview tips / tricks or info on some job vacancies in the Pretoria area?

© CB ©
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Re: Just cannot find proper job!

Post by Tony Z »

my biggest career move was when I rocked up for an interview that I knew I would never get the job for, but I went because I didnt want any regrets and I would have regretted not going. Wasnt nervous because I wouldnt get the job anyway.
Got the job.

I know it probably doesnt help you, cause you really need a job, so every one counts.
I am sure you are listed with some recruitment agencies. Next time you go visit one, ask your agent to give you some advice and some tips - after all, they interview you from the minute you walk in the door and then send your CV out if they think you are good enough or a right fit for the job.
Keep your CV simple but add all the info that is needed. Keep your portfolio separate. Once again, ask the agent for advice on how to re-write your CV to one that looks good. They deal with CV's all day long, every day and they must be gatvol of CVs that are just ordinary. I had one agent help me with my CV in 2005. I still use the same CV layout. Simple and effective, if anyone wants more info they can ask me. But my industry doesnt want massive CV's, so it has to be condensed.

Good luck, I hope my post helps a little, even more, I hope you get work ASAP.
Cyberbeast
Oil Cooler

Post by Cyberbeast »

Thanks. It actually helps.

This was actually one of those "I'm not going to get the job" interviews, but I think the issue here was the fact that I am becoming so desperate makes me more nervous during the interview, because I'm thinking I'm not going to get the job, and then I'm screwed!

I'll try to just relax for the coming interviews, and try to get lots of tips from the recruiters before I go.

Thanks again TonyZ
© CB ©
Bugandy
Oil Pump
What model do you have?: B/buggy, Beetle

Post by Bugandy »

Years ago I was in a similar state and a minister friend of mine intoduced me to someone who really assisted me by coaching me thru the correct way of handling an interview etc etc. Thought it was a waste of time BUT I got the job and still there and hey that is really great!

Screw the Checkers idea!

Believe in yourself and I wish you well.

Take care
bugspray
Floorpan
What model do you have?: 71 Westy + 74beetle
Facebook: http://m.facebook.com/profile.php?r0d306f00&refid=7
South Africa

Post by bugspray »

Dude, fully feel where you coming from! Been there, done that, still have the regrets!

But hey! Things work out! I've also sat at home with zero income at one stage... Just relax, learn to control your nerves, I'm also still a blundering idiot at interviews, but with time comes experience.

You will score that job, just gotta hang in there :) good luck mate.
More than meets the eye!
karmakoma
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: 69 dual trunk coupe

Post by karmakoma »

At the risk of sounding like a cliche, but I am going to say it anyway :-)

The jobs that you didn't get, you didn't get for a reason. Maybe they were dead ends, maybe you need to go through coaching and the experience of a few more interviews to teach you to be calm, so that when that perfect job interview arrives, you are ready for it. :hangloose:

There is work out there, and it's mostly for people with qualifications, which you clearly have, so like the other guys said, hang in there.

Another thing, people still judge people on their appearance when they arrive for an interview, so make sure you look the part when you arrive, maybe you do, but I have found what is acceptable office wear in the creative industries wouldn't be allowed in the door at a bank for example. Just a thought.

Good Luck, hang in there, and don't stop practising your skills, because experience counts, even if you go work for a pittance somewhere (with a few afternoons off negotiated in the deal, so you can go for interviews), just to stay sharp.

Hope it comes across as constructively as it was meant.
BARON
Clutch

Post by BARON »

Here are my views --- hard and tough but when you are in I will be loyal to you---
Two rules to follow;-
1- Never leave one job without having another one tied up. To be between jobs in SA s very dangerous.
2- You are hard up for work dont forget it --no matter what qualifications you got--
Dont think I m hard up for your services and even if I am I will not show you that because then I loose my bargaining power.
When I interview somebody I dont look for somebody that try to tell me he knows everything and shows me his flashy CV.
Im looking for someboy thats humble ,understands his at the bottom of the career ladder and needs to start there bottom-----in our company at least---
He must be willing to work "at the checkers till " if need to be in fact he must be willing to do anything that comes his way even if its not what he qualified to do.
We will decide on his potential as he progresess in the company.
A clean well dressed appearance works . Dealing with clients /customers /fellow workers even those washing the cars is important for all businesses so you must somehow show me those skills.
Dont tell me how much money you need to get through the month or how much time you need off. In fact dont dictate to me any thing.
Once Ive decided to take you onI we will negotiate conditions and then I will give you a change to tell me your preferences.
---- And you need two CVs -a short one with bare minimum because thats the only one I will read, and a long one with all info on for admin to put on your record if you get the job .
cheers baron
Ron&Gill
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: Type 1, 21b, 34, 316
Netherlands

Post by Ron&Gill »

Yeah, one is called a resume (reh-zum-ay) and the other is a CV. The CV has everything about your career, and something about yourself and your hobbies etc. It swells and then it starts getting thinner again after 40, when you start ditching kak in there you realise was never really important... to anyone including yourself.

The most important one is your resume. 2 A4 pages, max, of which the first half is your contact details and the second half of the second sheet is references. So you have 2 halves of an A4 in which to impress your prospective employer enough for him to give you time of his day to talk to you. You need to keep it short because these people usually have the attention span of a gnat, because they're busy! You should also taylor your resume to fit the job you are applying for. A resume is not a pamflet you hand out at the traffic light, it is a very specifically tailored description of your potential in specific position.

Don't talk kak in an interview, never claim you've been somewhere when you haven't. Talk about things you know intimately. I used to work with a very capable collegue who stammered only when he was talking kak... I told him that once, he was furious with me, but after we made peace, he never stammered at me again, and I believed everything he said. Haha!!

And watch out, this is for all youngsters, what you put on that infernal Facebook!! Before I interview, that's where I look. Have a look at their friends behaviour too. I have reprimanded my children for putting stuff on there that prospective employers of mine could read. I have binned/banned "friends" too. Facebook is evil. You only have to watch the movie to see the intent with which it was created. (I just thought I would put that in there as a tip, not as a flame Facebook... it's OK if you're responsible on it.)
1964 T34 - The Razor: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10290
1956 T2 1b - Gill's bus: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10948
1967 T316 - viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10931 & viewtopic.php?f=23&t=15977
2000 beach buggy - viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10915
Jurgen Grand Slam
Flywheel
What model do you have?: 58,62,70Beetle,58Kar

Post by Jurgen Grand Slam »

Hey there,

I agree with what the other guys have said, HOWEVER, you must understand that there are a few ways to make yourself more comfortable when in an interview.

When you find out what company you are to go to.... try to find out as much about the company as possible, BEFORE you go there, what their company does, their policies and DRESS code - you can normally get this info from the receptionist. This will enable you to dress appropriately and you will be knowledgeable about the company in your interview, you will naturally/automatically feel more at ease as you will not feel like you are fishing in the dark completely.

YOU ONLY HAVE 30 SECONDS to make the first impression - MAKE THEM COUNT!!!

Even if you are desperate for the job, show enthusiasm, pay attention to what your interviewer is saying and do not be afraid to ask appropriate questions - ie: what the job entails etc, it is also a good idea as stated earlier, to make it known to your interviewer that even though your main focus will be on the job that is being offered, you are willing to do more than just what is required of you. Let them know that this is not just a job, but an opportunity to learn and further your position in their company..... It has always worked for me and the students that I teach interviewing skills to.

Good luck for you next interview :)

Es
My rides - 58, 62, 63 & 70 Beetles also 58 Karman Ghia

" You don't have to be NUTS to work here, BUT it sure helps!!"
eben
Site Admin
What model do you have?: None
Facebook: www.facebook.com/ebenve
Slovakia

Post by eben »

My 2 cents: I don't know if this is the same for job finding in the SA but this is what I do in the UK:
1. A lot of agencies use generic mailboxes for each job, all the mails for that specific job goes into the same inbox.... Try your best to find the direct email for the person advertising the job. Send him/her you customized application with the reference from where you saw it.
2. Customize your CV for each worthwhile job you are replying for. Keep it as short as possible and tell them all the things they want to hear first. Don't lie, but make it easy for them.

Read up on the company, show interest and knowledge about them during the interview.

Good luck.
Cyberbeast
Oil Cooler

Post by Cyberbeast »

Thanks everyone.

I honestly think that one or two of one's last lectures before one gets a qualification should be interview skills. I didn't have that, and now I'm struggling.

But here I'm getting enough guidance to make a plan :) All the information you give, helps.

Thanks again

Andre
© CB ©
bugspray
Floorpan
What model do you have?: 71 Westy + 74beetle
Facebook: http://m.facebook.com/profile.php?r0d306f00&refid=7
South Africa

Post by bugspray »

Sup buddy? Which part of Pta you in?? I may know of a few leads in the IT field in the Silverton Area... And a totally different field ie Retail with Brandhouse.(Lotsa Booze)

Tell you what mail me a cv and will put you into contact with the peeps. BUT if succesfull you will have to endure an interview lol.
More than meets the eye!
Cyberbeast
Oil Cooler

Post by Cyberbeast »

Thanks Bugspray.

I'm working on my CV at the moment. Will send it to you sometime. I am in the Moot area, quite close to Silverton.
© CB ©
VW-rules
Crankshaft
What model do you have?: '61 & '70 Buses
Belgium

Post by VW-rules »

My view, from the other side as the 'employer'.

Being in IT I have, in the pass, been asked by customers to refer/recommend people who can develop/maintain websites. It's come back to bite me every time. The next time I refer someone he/she needs only have one thing on their CV -> the links to site which they've developed.

P.S. PHP, SQL, etc. means nothing to the person interviewing and it's assumed your FO :bn: .
If a married man speaks in the forest and his wife is not there to hear him, is he still wrong?
JohnHoffe
Exhaust Pipe
What model do you have?: Buggy,Fleetline,Ghia

Post by JohnHoffe »

Cyberbeast wrote:Thanks Bugspray.

Will send it to you sometime.

FFAAAAKKK dude!! There is your first problem: if you are so desperate, why only send your CV "sometime"? How about: I need 2 hours to update it to a new format then it will be on it's way to your Inbox?

My advice:
1. Plan - research the company, the persons in the interview, the sectretary's name, the boss's choice in sports, everything you can find.
2. Be in the area 30 minutes before the time. Don't go in until 10 mins before your appointment. Don't pressurize yourself by being almost late.
3. Dress - rather dress up than down. If you know it is an informal bunch (from research) dress accordingly. White clothing creatres the impression you are a push-over. 4. Comic ties creates the impression you think this is a joke. Black shoes, well polished up, matching belt.
5. Always have a firm handshake. Even with the ladies. Let them rather complain about the firm grip that the limp wrist. Memorise the names during the handshakes.
6. Choose your words carefully. Maybe and sometimes will not do it. Be assertive, but not pushy.
7. Always accept an offer for a drink. Only take water. Coffe makes you want to pee then you put yourself under pressure.
8. Express your knowledge thoroughly. Admit to your shortfalls by adding how you can adress it. Acknowledgement is a sign of maturity.
9. Sit up straight. Do NOT cross your legs or arms. It means you are shielding yourself from the interview. Use open-handed gestures while you speak. Look the person asking the question square in the eye.
10. Do not cover your mouth with your hand. It shows you don't want to answer.
11. Always follow up on what impression the people had of you. Learn from it!

Lastly: this is no bullsh!t, I've never been to an interview dead sober. Always hung over like a horse!! Just have a good breakfast beforehand. Obviously try not to copy this one if you're not a pisscat from Primrose!!

I have always gotten the jobs I applied for (5 in a 20 year working career). I recently turned down a brilliant offer because of loyalty to my present employer. I did the interview to see if I still have the skills. And yes, I was successful.

Hang in there, chin up, chest out. It's ALL about attitude.

:hangloose: :drunks: