demand for EFI systems

Members can advertise their services here...
vlekki
Oil Leak
What model do you have?: '71 beetle

demand for EFI systems

Post by vlekki »

hi
We've all seen the insane prices of the foreign efi systems(like the ones from cbperformance). :arrow:
I'm in the process of developing my own efi system. From manufacturing manifolds and throttle bodies(IDA style) to a custom management system. I should know more in the next week or two about what it will cost me to build a kit and from there i wil know what to sell it for.
I'm not looking for a moerse profit on this so basicly I just want to know if there is any kind of demand around for systems like these?
I'm also looking at making the systems specifically for performance and economy and then one for economy performance.

"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret." - Ambrose Bierce

not my bunny
Jacques Keyser 0842567780
IMPI
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: sp2

Re: demand for EFI systems

Post by IMPI »

Hi sounds good but price may be on par with overseas systems :(
That said rather look at idf spacing and sidedraft bolt patterns this would make the Throttle bodies more universal and could possibly assist in sales.
There are a couple of wrongs with current aftermarket TB's
1 very few of them have proper throttle (butterfly) stops
2 they have no provision for vacuum/boost take off
3 most have no idle bypass cirquit (this makes for difficult adjustments)
If you like I have also dabbled with tb's on beetles so we can compare notes PM me a phone number and we can talk.
Regards
Armand
Who cares how it's done in California? :twisted:
(018) 473-0186
riaanj
Exhaust Pipe
What model do you have?: None ATM, oneday...

Post by riaanj »

There are local EFI systems, probably nothing in kit form that has all the parts to convert from carb to FI, but okes like Gotech etc. does the control side of things and can probably help with the odds & ends needed to do the conversion..

IMO why reinvent the wheel???
Just keep on BUGGIN'
Protect the endangered, say NO to exporting our AirCooled spares & cars..

T6 Ranger 2.2TDCi D/Cab
307E Anglia panel-van
Honda CBR600RR
Honda CBR600F4
Honda CBR1100XX SuperBlackbird
Loopy
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: Beach Buggy

Post by Loopy »

Please excuse the stupid question, but what would an EFI (like this system) be comparable to, ie is it the same as fitting two twin carbs, or a single carb ito nominal performance and/or price? Would you be able to fit it to a standard motor, or would you need to upgrade a bit to get the full effect of the EFI system?
"What I would suggest is that you draw up a project plan and then prioritise the things you NEED to do linked to the budget you have." by Vader
Truer words have never been spoken...
vlekki
Oil Leak

Post by vlekki »

riaanj< the whole idea with reinventing the wheel here is to actually make it obtainable for the average joe driving an aircooled these days. I mean it's possible to get 18km/l from a stock1600 and have that little extra performance these thing were supposed to have. the Idea is basicly to help us keep beetles running more affordably and in fact keep them running at all. we all know we want our grandchildren to see beetles like we want them to see rhinos.
Loopy< My plan is to have several kits, straight bolt on to standard where you have a smoother running engine with electronic feul management so if you want to tweak it to give little extra performance or economy, you could. I also want A system where you actually have your TB wher your standard carb would live. So the twin TB system would be for those who require more feul where instead of fitting thin carbs you fit that(don't get me wrong I have enough respect for carbs). I also want to have an optional bolt on electronic ignition kit with the wasted spark coil packs and all.
I really don't know everything about anything aircooled so please chuck me back in my corner or help me out a little if you know more.
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret." - Ambrose Bierce

not my bunny
riaanj
Exhaust Pipe
What model do you have?: None ATM, oneday...

Post by riaanj »

vlekki wrote:riaanj< the whole idea with reinventing the wheel here is to actually make it obtainable for the average joe driving an aircooled these days. I mean it's possible to get 18km/l from a stock1600 and have that little extra performance these thing were supposed to have.
I hear what you're saying and I did a mini pricing excersize a while ago to do a conversion like that (obviously without manufacturing my own EFI control unit) and it was still quite pricey, I would like EFI on my bug too, but it was a bit unobtainable at those prices, I'll be keeping my eye on this thread, hope you can reach a cool compromise between $ outlay and quality + reliability (not to mention the economy and performance side of things).
If I can ask, once you have fully developed your EFI system will you provide backup on them and setup? If we DIY will setup be easy or will we need a degree? (some of us are not that proficient with tech stuff like setting up EFI).
Good luck with your endeavour.. :hangloose:
Just keep on BUGGIN'
Protect the endangered, say NO to exporting our AirCooled spares & cars..

T6 Ranger 2.2TDCi D/Cab
307E Anglia panel-van
Honda CBR600RR
Honda CBR600F4
Honda CBR1100XX SuperBlackbird
vlekki
Oil Leak

Post by vlekki »

I think sutup and support would be manageable for me. I'm doing my pilot license part time at the moment so I don't really have a k@khuis vol free time, but I guees it's worthwile taking the time and setting it up for the customer as it will not be mass manufactured.
Ideally I would like a self learning ECU where it's literally plug and play like the ones from CBPerformance, but I think that will be where keeping the costs down will bite me. I have built a handfull of rotary motors the past couple of years and have done a spitronics course so I know the basics of tuning an ECU and I've had extensive IDA and IDA throttle body eperience.
Yet I still don't know everything and any advice would be appreciated
thanks

not my bunny