My Baja Bug Rebuild

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Flag: Netherlands

Re: My Baja Bug Rebuild

Post by retrovan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:52 am

As Tony said may work, but normally on good steel, and not rusty stuff, as whichever way your cables, the rust blows your steel away leaving a hole.

What I did on thin sections, is cut out till you get good metal, make a new section, tack weld scrap steel to the back of these edges, and then weld in the new steel. The scrap will work as a heat sink.

Herman

1952 Split Beetle 1835cc twin 34ICT's
1968 Fastback (2Lt.type4)twin 34ICT's
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van (2Lt type 4)twin 34ICT's
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1835cc twin 34ICT's

Edmond
Pushrod
What model do you have?: 1973 Baja Bug
Flag: South Africa

Re: My Baja Bug Rebuild

Post by Edmond » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:08 pm

I haven't had much time lately to do much on my baja but managed to get the doorwindows sorted, got the window lifter channels and a good s/h window mechanism from a guy in ruyterwacht for an absolute steal the window lifter channels even came with free door window glass as a added bonus

Its nice to have windows that actually wind up and down again, the old window lift channels were rusted literally to pieces

Also getting a door for free as long as I remove it myself from the scrap body again from my contact in ruyterwacht.

Still need to cut the steel I got for the passenger side floor to shape and to remove the last remains of the old floor on the tunnel lip before I can start the welding, my work colleagues MIG welder and is ready and waiting for me so need to get cracking with the preparation