'73 Single Cab - Sorting out the Mess

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
73type2
Crankshaft
What model do you have?: '73 T2 Single Cab
France

'73 Single Cab - Sorting out the Mess

Post by 73type2 »

When I bought my late bay single cab
a couple of years ago, it was in a poor state, with sections of the wiring missing, among other things. The wiring has been mostly repaired, but I've been procrastinating on sorting out the ignition barrel removal, as the ignition key is missing. So, today was the day. As this is my first bus project, I did some reading and viewing some YouTube videos. After two hours of frustrated fiddling, the barrel managed to come out. I'll go to a locksmith tomorrow to have a new key cut.

A previous owner probably drilled a hole in the housing to facilitate removal of the barrel, but it wasn't useful to me. At first I tried a brazing rod to push into the hole on the side of the barrel housing, but it was too weak. I ended up making a hook out of a stiff chrome spring, which did the trick.

retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Re: '73 Single Cab - Sorting out the Mess

Post by retrovan »

well done, those barrels can be tricky some times,

Keep the photos coming and the project going

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc (Azure Blue)
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4( Red)
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4(White)
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc (Aqua Blue/White)
2019 MeFusco Beetle Truck
73type2
Crankshaft
What model do you have?: '73 T2 Single Cab
France

Re: '73 Single Cab - Sorting out the Mess

Post by 73type2 »

I went to Precision Locksmiths in Bellville, Cape Town this morning at opening time to get keys cut. I used the opportunity to sort out keys for my Beetle as well. I was hoping that the very experienced guy was still there, but learnt that he retired about four years ago. I asked the new guy if he could cut keys based on the code on the lock, and he seemed unsure and went to check the computer. The old guy would've known immediately, but I guess change is inevitable. After fifteen minutes he came back with the first key successfully cut based on the lock code. He then did the Beetle lock and I left with sets of keys for my single cab and Beetle.

1969 Beetle 1500 ignition barrel and door lock:

1973 Bay Single Cab ignition barrel and door lock:

All locks with matching keys: