What did you do on your car today?

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Re: What did you do on your car today?

Post by Tony Z »

I did about 100km in the bus today and had it washed too

acpaterson
Carburettor
What model do you have?: Winston, a 74 Bay
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

I went to visit mine in Hospital, took him some new rubbers for his windows. He's very excited to be coming home soon.. :D
Madbones
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: 182 Thing

Post by Madbones »

Moved home with Leroy.
IMG_1103.JPG
Fully loaded and five wekkers in the cab Leroy just performed.
Happy days.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaulARX
Drip
What model do you have?: 1970 beetle 1300

Post by PaulARX »

Hi guys, I would like to re-introduce myself, I joined up in 2011, but only bought my first Beetle last month. She is a white 1970 1300, with some work to be done, but is running.

This weekend I replaced the starter, cleaned the earthing contacts and all other terminals, and stripped out the interior for new rear floor pans.

I would like to share a cautionary tale (read moan) here if permitted.

I took the Beetle to a Shop in Capital Park Pretoria (the owner told me they have been in business for over 30 years) last Wednesday, to have a quote done for some work on the car. The starter failed the previous weekend, and I thought they might as well install a second hand Bosch unit (I bought it from a scrapyard and tested it there) while the car was there for the quote.

The following day I called about the quote, and was informed by the owner that the starter I brought along did not work, and that they had fitted a reconditioned unit instead. They also removed the hard-start relay, claiming it should not be there (?!). I informed him that I would be collecting the car that day, and i would like to have the quote ready and the second hand starter back when I come to collect the car. I was then informed that the Lucas starter I gave them was rubbish, and I then proceeded to remind the owner that I brought along a Bosch - not a Lucas unit.

I asked them to start the car when I was there, it started once, and I went to pay. Afterward, I wanted to drive out, but the car would not start again, starter motor spun but solenoid did not engage gear to flywheel. I was told that this is caused by the battery being too low on charge, and that it would come right after charging the battery. I thought this sounded plausible, the car was push started and I left the shop. Back at home I hooked up the battery charger and left it to charge overnight.

Saturday morning I wanted to verify the diagnosis about the solenoid not engaging, seeing as the battery was now fully charged I expected the car to start...
No, not so. Starter spins, no solenoid action. I then pushed the car onto the ramps, and removed the "reconditioned" starter. What I found was something else - the "reconditioned" starter was re-sprayed black, over the terminals, without cleaning of terminals, and the solenoid cap was sealed with isolation tape - also sprayed over ! The screws and nuts do not appear to have been opened in a very long time, and are also coated in black spray paint. Reconditioned by spray can...

So by now, I was becoming aware of the fact that I was taken for a ride, and proceeded to call around and research the shop and it's owner. A very well respected member of the VW community (an older gentleman with an outstanding reputation) advised me in no uncertain terms that I should have called him before taking the car to that shop, and that I had to be "very careful" when dealing with that shop's owner.

No I am faced with a choice - confront the owner and try to get my money back (is it worth the trouble ?), or regard this as "skoolgeld".
What do you guys think - any advice ?

Update: I went to see the owner, we discussed the issues and came to an understanding. The reconditioned starter was returned, and I was refunded. The owner was gracious about the matter and said that he was sorry that I had such an experience. There are no hard feelings now. Thanks for reading !
Last edited by PaulARX on Tue May 19, 2015 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: none

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Confront the owner with your findings.
If it's too low, you're too old :twisted:
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

And NAME and SHAME.. f#Ck Thieves.
Madbones
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: 182 Thing

Post by Madbones »

Took The Thing out for a drive. :hangloose:
Goes great, gotta get used to the hop in 1st with the reduction boxes.
Loads of fun and the wife even enjoyed a drive.
Thing 2.JPG
Happy VW wife happy life, she loves the 182.
Ciao
Madbones
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pinch
Oil Leak
What model do you have?: Kango Buggy
South Africa

Post by Pinch »

Today I went for a 67min drive, in Liefie(Lovey) my Kango buggy :flash:
riaanj
Exhaust Pipe
What model do you have?: None ATM, oneday...

Post by riaanj »

Wasn't today..
But
I finally got my 1303 home this weekend :party:
Moved it from my office to my back yard.. now, hopefully, I can start some work on it again..
Just keep on BUGGIN'
Protect the endangered, say NO to exporting our AirCooled spares & cars..

T6 Ranger 2.2TDCi D/Cab
307E Anglia panel-van
Honda CBR600RR
Honda CBR600F4
Honda CBR1100XX SuperBlackbird
Pinch
Oil Leak
What model do you have?: Kango Buggy
South Africa

Post by Pinch »

Finally went the fetch my donars front suspension, will rebuild it for the Kango. Have striped it afternoon. Will be sandblasted and powder coated. :D
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Yesterday, I fitted new Monroe Shocks to the back of my Bus. Now it doesn't squeek anymore. ;-)
stew 89
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: kombi

Post by stew 89 »

Yesterday I installed new bushings and knig pin to titen up the sterring :) Then took the familey to the beach for a late lunch. need to get the wheels alinged though :)
any thing easy probably isn't worth doing.
Watermelonitra
Drip
What model do you have?: 1600 Beetle

Post by Watermelonitra »

This weekend I installed my sound, it's discreetly in the rear parcel shelf, under a backboard with holes for the sound, if you look into the back window you'd never know it was there which is what I like. Also changed my oil and fixed my exhaust
babyblue75
Drip
What model do you have?: 73 1303
South Africa

Post by babyblue75 »

Hi all, I received a newly overhauled engine back from Johan Smithof as the car were standing for a year and the dowel pins broke. I've got a few parts that o need to clean and install including all the tins before i can put the engine back in. i also want to check the speedo cable and perhaps take the speedo out and set everything back to 0000km as the original owner wont sell the car.

After a good wash and a polish, i will go and surprise the original owner at work with her car. She know the engine is done but that is that the rest is a surprise.

This project made me fall in love with the ACVW and is slowly starting to look for my OWN little project.
babyblue75
Drip
What model do you have?: 73 1303
South Africa

Post by babyblue75 »

Tins are washed and nice and clean. Manifold is sprayed and tins get new black paint tomorrow

Sent from my SM-T535 using Tapatalk