'63 looker... :)

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
Exhaust Pipe
What model do you have?: Beetle
South Africa

Re: '63 looker... :)

Post by 1972 »

i wrote my exam this morning already :roll: .......... :mrgreen:

John Jones wrote: Stock sucks!!!
"Toy 1" 1968 Vw Beetle
"Toy 2" The dead Bus

Tom Bishop
Single Port
What model do you have?: A Yellow 181
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1321084423

Post by Tom Bishop »

Tony Z wrote:LOL..... lets no get into that engine at the moment.
In short, it runs. I spent about 1 month a year in CPT so dont really have enough time to get things going 100%
Now that its at the point of being able to run, the brakes have seized up. Thats my next job when I get home, this time I'll only be in CPT for a week tho and have other things I need to attent to. Will see how much I can get out of the car.

check the projects section, Suicyde engine build.
And a nice Answer!!!
”Experience is what you get when you do not get what you want”
1964type1
Oil Leak
What model do you have?: 1964 type 1

Post by 1964type1 »

Hi Dave,

We spoke about heads the other day and I found these gems at cbperformance:

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1794

I think they are awesome for the same money as Empi big valve heads
davetapson
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: Type 1's '63 and '66
Facebook: www.facebook.com/davetapson

Post by davetapson »

1964type1 wrote:Hi Dave,

We spoke about heads the other day and I found these gems at cbperformance:

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1794

I think they are awesome for the same money as Empi big valve heads
Yep - definitely look good. Less than half the price of CNC Roundports too. Was thinking of going through that build list from CB and replacing the hotter stuff with components maybe more suited to what I'd be looking for (milder cam, heads etc). The interesting thing would then to see if the price comes down much (depends how much they are discounting the 'bulk buy'), or even if they'd still discount a slightly modified 2110cc kit...
My project: http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 23&t=12543" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking for a splitscreen panelvan - have a year or two to find one. If you know of one, please let me know.
davetapson
Oil Cooler

Post by davetapson »

Brandt - those wheels you were running look bl**dy nice.

What size are they? Would you recommend that size in terms of wheels touching wheel arch etc?

Next question, of course, is: Any idea of what is similar looking wheel, but with 100x4 stud config? :D
My project: http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 23&t=12543" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking for a splitscreen panelvan - have a year or two to find one. If you know of one, please let me know.
1964type1
Oil Leak

Post by 1964type1 »

davetapson wrote:Brandt - those wheels you were running look bl**dy nice.

What size are they? Would you recommend that size in terms of wheels touching wheel arch etc?

Next question, of course, is: Any idea of what is similar looking wheel, but with 100x4 stud config? :D
They are genuine 15" Fuchs wheels, imported for a Porsche 911SC.

You may be able to get 16" Fuchs wheels if you advertise.

The 15" wheels were not standard for S.A. Also don't go too wide, 195 -205 is about the maximum width you should go if you don't want to modify fenders.
1964type1
Oil Leak

Post by 1964type1 »

Hi Dave,

I spoke to Garin today. Asked him about the CB engine packages. He says they don't change out parts to suit you.

However he also told me the difference between getting a kit from CB and buying part for part from him would be a few hundred rands.

The reason I punt Volkspares is back up service. I have never had issues exchanging parts. For example: I bought a set of chromoly pushrods from them, had them cut to size by a toolmaker and tried to fit the ends, unfortunately the rods had an inconsistant inner diameter which meant the ends weren't a good fit and kept falling out. I took them back to Volkspares and Garin is going to make up a new set free of charge.

That my friend is service. They have exchanged camshafts and heads for me as well, always with a smile and never have I had any issues. Ivan and Garin are also very knowledgeable.
Dutch_Diver
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: 64 bus & 63 Bug
Facebook: www.facebook.com/people/Frank-Van-Hoof/576686903

Post by Dutch_Diver »

Looks great Dave,

More pics please and can you do more detail on the work as you are solving all my questions! :D :drunks:
"MO" - 1965 Splitscreen bus --> http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... =37&t=9305" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"BOBBIE" - 1963 Beetle --> http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 23&t=11338" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
davetapson
Oil Cooler

Post by davetapson »

Dutch_Diver wrote:Looks great Dave,

More pics please and can you do more detail on the work as you are solving all my questions! :D :drunks:
Hi Dutch

'64Type1 and I are trying to make a plan to get the '63 to my place, but life keeps intruding.

Probably going to make a plan for weekend after next.

Until then I've got to finish off my current project which is a woodstrip Canadian canoe... which is a bit off topic... :D

So until I can start work on the '63 it's all about planning / dreaming / scheming. Having a great time with it tho'!
1964Type1 wrote:However he also told me the difference between getting a kit from CB...
Interesting...

Cheers
Dave

davetapson
Oil Cooler

Post by davetapson »

Out of interest, here is the break down of the CB 2110 kit, priced if you were to buy the parts individually. The next step, for me, is to modify the kit to what I think may suit me better and see what the price is like then.

There is a saving of $680 if you buy the kit, so I suspect it may not pay to change to lower spec components as it would end up costing about the same, but without top spec components.

Dunno if this forum can upload spreadsheets?

Doesn't seem so. Here's a screenshot:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

why do you want 92mm barrel spacers?
If you are prepared to go this route, why limit yourself to 2110cc?
Have you factored in the shipping costs I mentioned earlier?
Have you considered import duties?
Have you got carbs of fuel injection already?
Linkage?
What about the exhaust and muffler?
Clutch and pressure plate?

whatever the price you are busy calculating in your head... double it and that will be more realistic.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

whats wrong with sourcing a flywheel locally? Much cheaper
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

you case is full flowed, why restrict oil flow with that pump cover?
You dont need a 30mm oil pump unless you want to run it as it is without modification.

Oil filter?
davetapson
Oil Cooler

Post by davetapson »

Hi Tony

I'm not set on getting the kit - but it is a starting point to compare my other options to - the flywheel being a perfect example. I don't need to make any decisions until the rest of the car is done which is going to be a couple of months at least.

I think the 92mm spacers is a typo in the CB kit list - I'm sure it is supposed to be 90.5 but in any case they are all the same price so it makes no diffs for calcs purposes.

Yep - I understand there are other charges.

For carbs, I'm going to try and get Dell'Orto DLRA's - if I can't source them, will have to look at other options. Linkages I can't get till I've got the carbs and then know what linkage I need to get.

Clutch and pressure plate I haven't decided on - once I know the state of the engine tune, then I'll decide on that. Same goes for pipe - I want something reasonably quiet - am tired of loud pipes - but have not yet had time to investigate what is out there.

>>You case is full flowed, why restrict oil flow with that pump cover? You dont need a 30mm oil pump unless you want to run it as it is without modification.<<
Explain?

Yep, will need an external oil filter kit. Strange that the CB kit does not include one.

Why 2110? I want a long lived daily driver - I'm not looking to push things to the limits, and I figure a 2110 cc motor with 82mm crank is going to provide all the torque and power that I want, plus probably more...

Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Dells will be very hard to find locally. Weber 40 or 44s might be a better option (or easier, also for parts).

oil pump... a modified 26mm oil pump will prob flow about the same as a stock style 30mm pump. Also, with that pump, you are taking so many tight turns and small holes to take the oil out and then back in thru the standard oil bores that you will cause unecessary restrictions and thus increase your overall losses (power losses).

2110 is good for reliability. If reliability is your primary aim, then drop the 1.25 rockers. Or find a cam that was desinged for 1.25 rockers specifically.