Wreck Rescue - aka The Notch

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Re: Wreck Rescue - aka The Notch

Post by retrovan »

Man, that looks GOOOOOOOOD !!!................ :shock:

Makes me sad that my Fastback is sitting collecting dust at the NOT being "Spray Shop", and you nearly ready to start up.... :roll:

Oh well my time will come.............. :cry: .

1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
karmakoma
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: 69 dual trunk coupe

Post by karmakoma »

Happy 2 year anniversary of this build. At this rate, the Sagrada Familia will be finished before my Notch :D .

Good things come to those who wait though. :hangloose:
buggyfan
Long Block
What model do you have?: lwb beachbuggy
South Africa

Post by buggyfan »

Time for an update?????????????????????????????????????????????????//or not yet????????????????????????
http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... tt#p269451" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: none

Post by Blitzkrieg »

What happened to this car?? Running, not running? Some fresh pictures pretty please??
If it's too low, you're too old :twisted:
karmakoma
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by karmakoma »

Well I fitted the refurbished Rostyles last week. Looks good :D

Fuel filler neck does not fit the petrol tank, so we are still on the hunt for one. Looks like it needs to go from OVAL to round to make it work.

What profile rubber can we use for the doors ? Beetle rubbers won't cut it it seems? Any advice?

Thanks for your interest. Pictures will come when she is finally running!
retrovan
Donor
Donor
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

karmakoma wrote:Well I fitted the refurbished Rostyles last week. Looks good :D

Fuel filler neck does not fit the petrol tank, so we are still on the hunt for one. Looks like it needs to go from OVAL to round to make it work. Had to streeeeeech the pipe to fit on the fastback, not easy but it will go

What profile rubber can we use for the doors ? Beetle rubbers won't cut it it seems? Any advice? There is no door rubbers from Pro Auto Rubber that will fit the Type 3 door, had to order from ISP West (USA) to get the correct rubber, but I must say they are excellent, soft and make the door close like a new car........well worth the price.

Thanks for your interest. Pictures will come when she is finally running!
Will be posting the rubber photos on my fastback thread, look out for them....

http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... &start=180

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
karmakoma
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by karmakoma »

Thanks Herman!
karmakoma
Full-time Bug Nutter

Re: Wreck Rescue - aka The Notch - finally a new episode

Post by karmakoma »

Lo and behold, this thread is not dead, I know, I know, it’s been almost five years to the day since the last update, but, we are still alive and kicking, life happened, work, some holiday, other hobbies (gasp), family commitments, you have all been there and know how it goes.

I’ll start with a , surprise, surprise, disclaimer: any project, big or small, needs to be driven by the owner, no-one else. So I take full responsibility for how long this took, and how it turned out.
IF it sounds like I am blaming someone for anything during the process, that’s your own reading of it, not my intention, this result is my own making, warts and all.
When in doubt, refer back to point above :D . With that cleared up, I want to thank everyone who was involved so far, with advice, help, parts, services, labour, a push and a bruised knuckle or two (repeat after me, never use a shifting spanner, no matter how big the temptation).

So what happened? The last episode finished with a completed paint job, half completed interior, and final assembly to start.
Eventually the car was taken to Vdubtech for final assembly, (and the little gremlins that crop up in this phase), in part exchange for the two other notches I was selling.

It took some transport and arranging, Pierre was a legend here to help organize, and the process was started. I honestly can’t remember exactly the date and time of this, but starting on this the assembly must have been late 2013, and other notches recovered and fetched sometime in 2014. I digress. Assembly was going ok, electrical sorted, disk brake conversion fitted, glass went back in (without breaking the precious windscreens)!
Then I got the call, the engine had at some stage stood in the rain, for a prolonged period of time , and was rusted solid. It would not turn with any amount of motivation. “SIGH”. So a quote was received to now also include an engine overhaul. I hesitated at first, but realized a second hand engine would a) be hard to come by, and b) also be an unknown quantity. We have come so far, so what the hell. Go for it.

Engine was duly overhauled, again I can’t remember the time span, and I was asked to come check. Overhauled engine in, but smoking like an old one, we were all perplexed. I saw the new parts used, and the old parts that had come out, didn’t make sense, but, yet here we were. There were one or two other niggles to sort out, but otherwise she was so close now. Engine was opened up again, and everything checked and double checked, and if I recall a new set of rings were installed, just in case.

But, wait for it, same result! Car runs fine, but smokes like nobody’s business. Eventually the real cause of the smoking was tracked down, and it turns out it wasn’t the engine, someone had shoved something far down the oil breather, car gets hot and BOOM, after that was removed, I can report she is now smoke free and pulls very nicely :D .

But I am getting ahead of myself. This obviously all took some time, and with this going on, I think we all lost a little interest (I know I did). When the engine was finally sorted, the car was now jumping out of gear…. DEEP SIGH.
It needed a recon gearbox. Fortunately we know a guy who builds gearboxes, but dammit, I was GATVOL, and just hit pause. Lots of time passed, and the car was standing, in the sun, and wind and rain, amongst the other cars.

I did think about the car, can’t lie, but was a little frustrated at this point. Eventually Pierre contacted me and said look, we either have to fetch the car, or replace that gearbox. (It was standing there for years now, so fair enough).
AGAIN , my thoughts were, so much has been done, we have come so far, so let’s not quit now. Fix it.

Gearbox recon done and finally, last Saturday, I went to fetch her…..

Don’t pop the champagne just yet though. By this time, it has now been 5 years since the paintjob was done, and as some of you had warned, clearcoat, sprayed outside, combined with baking sun and rain for 5 years, yup, you guessed it, the top half of the car’s clearcoat was completely oxidised. OH my aching nerve.

The battery was also flat from standing all this time, and after all this, we had to push the car onto the trailer. Let’s just say it is a good thing I am not a smoker, or I might have done something silly to the stupid car right there and then.

With MUCH effort (and a couple of unsuccessful running and jump starts) we had to tow the car the final 50m’s to get it home and park her at my house for the first time.

A good night’s sleep usually brings perspective, so the next morning, check and fill the cells, battery on charge, and we wait.

NEXT day, test the battery, strong, connect it up to the car, engine turns over but she will not start. AAAAARRRRRGGGHHHH. I can smell the fuel coming through (and I added R200 on the way home as advised to make sure as well).
The coil is hot so chances are it’s generating spark. I check the plug leads, just in case one got loose, all good, I do find a loose wire going to one of the carbs, reconnect it, but nothing, then fiddling around just looking for something obvious wrong, I noticed the right carb linkage position looks different to the one on the left. I fiddle with it and whump, it comes loose, was stuck on fully open…….

No way, it can’t be that simply, surely, it never is. Get in and vroom, she starts right up, idles a bit rough, probably still flooded! But after a minute or two, settles down to that familiar sounds we all know and love.

Finally I get to take her for a drive for the FIRST time since I bought her, too long ago to mention.

That was a pretty good moment.

Make no mistake, there is still a lot to do. That swear word, rust, has reared it’s ugly head again, so since the paint was already dodgy in these areas, we sanded the rust spots down and just red oxide’d it. Actually not too far off it’s sunbleached red colour 😊

After being exposed to 5 years of the elements, never mind mechanics butts, the interior no longer looks new. It also faded, and has a few marks. We cleaned it up pretty well, but it has the patina of an age appropriate interior for this vehicle. If you didn’t know, you would say, wow, the interior looks great for a 50 year old vehicle.

I changed the steering wheel for a slightly better one I had, resprayed the horn bar, did some more cleaning and tidying up, fitted a few of the accessories I forgot I had, and tell you what, it’s not the worst looking car out there. (In my humble opinion of course).

The steering box needs replacement or rebuild, it is so vague you turn the wheel, say a prayer, and half an hour later you may get a response, and those 10 year old SP99 tires rub the wheel arches like they are getting paid.

The notch was dropped a spline front and back, so the tyre profile is way too high. A new set of tyres, and if required different offset wheels should sort that though.

The instrument cluster does not seem to come on, is there a wire/fuse I should check or is it more serious (fuses look ok, but perhaps I am missing something obvious) ?
Speedo and milometer works fine, just need to see oil , temp and fuel levels! Indicators, lights, all work fine.

She starts pretty much first time, every time, and besides the gear locations feeling a little offset (vs the many beetles I have driven), gear changes are pretty smooth, with no jumping out of gear 😊.

Despite the horrid steering, I had a pic in mind from a location not far from my house, been on my mind for years, so today I figured, lets drive there and get that shot.

a reminder - The Vision

Just unloaded

After a clean, tidy and some accessories - The End Result

and a sixties style pic to match the car

LOTS to do, but a running project, is SO much better, than a standing project.

I’ll post another update once a bit more has been done.

I’d also like to take a moment to dedicate this build to our late friend Beetlefanatic, besides his love of busses, also a big fan of the Type 3.
karmakoma
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by karmakoma »

one more

Piet
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: type 3, Porsche 550

Post by Piet »

Brilliant!
I admire your perseverence
retrovan
Donor
Donor
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Welcome to the driving type 3 clan.....

Now the work begins, fiddle here, fiddle there, But its fun

Enjoy

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: none

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Will take it off your hands if you don't want it :TIC:

Looks good!
If it's too low, you're too old :twisted:
jolas
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: '65 Kombi

Post by jolas »

Great man, worth all the effort in the end 8)
by fig » Mar 26, 2018
Sambas in South Africa are good for only 2 things: showing off and sunburn.
Bugger
Advertiser
Advertiser
What model do you have?: a Few Models
Facebook: Pierre Bugger Eksteen

Post by Bugger »

Yip This was one of those Cars that did not wanted to see the End of Day
But end result it is mobile and you can use the Notch and Play with it

One thing we learned was you can never give a final Taly and swop and trade Vehicles and know all will be sorted
there are always something

BUT WAIT moment :shock:

If I were you just get the Tyres and rims sorted
Polish up the Paint for now and drive the Notch and Enjoy a Running Project as you mentioned
one that Stand and take for Ever makes one so Negative you just want to Abandon the Project
But now you Glad you did not as Notches are Becomming Very Rare
Enjoy your Notchie and there are some nice Pics
Adapterplates Available for Rotary in Beetle and others aswell
And Special Boxes built for Rotary Conversions and Scubies
Pierre
082 600 8663

CLick on Banner Below to be routed to the Web site

karmakoma
Full-time Bug Nutter

Post by karmakoma »

Thanks Gents, must say, seeing it parked in the garage, ready to go for a drive, even if its a short one, is a great feeling. Fiddle, adjust, improve and enjoy, thats the name of the game :-)