67 Panelvan

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Re: 67 Panelvan

Post by sean »

No good. There shouldn't be any movement there. Those bushes will need to be replaced. Not such an easy job......

Donovan D
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 67 Panel
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=536371512
South Africa

Post by Donovan D »

sean wrote:No good. There shouldn't be any movement there. Those bushes will need to be replaced. Not such an easy job......

Thanks Sean,
:x
Where would I be able toe get bushes? I won't be able to get to this before the KKK camp. The worn ones will just have to survive till after.
---------- 67 Panelvan -----------
---------- 56 Oval ----------
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Donovan D wrote:I need some advice on my spindles. There is probably 1-2mm free play on the spindle in the direction as marked on the picture. If I hold the drum at 12 and 6 o' clock and rock the drums I can clearly hear and feel it rock. Is this ok or should it be tight ? The other side also has the free play but not as much. :zhelp:

This is a King Pin / Link Pin job.
If you have the tools, easy, if you do not, near impossible to get it right, as you would need reamers and a press.

Get GS to quote.

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Dawie
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: Aircooled, various
South Africa

Post by Dawie »

Split kombi's kingpin is part of the casting, different setup than a beetle:
Staying Aircooled is so much nicer.
Do'nt assume anything- (While doing fault-finding).
Donovan D
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Donovan D »

I'm taking the kombi for wheel alignment tomorrow
I pulled this from the net does it look right?
Type 2 Front 1962-1972,models up to 217 148 459 and reads 5'±10'
Then models from 218 000 0001 15'±15'
sean
Transmission
South Africa

Post by sean »

Donovan D wrote:I'm taking the kombi for wheel alignment tomorrow
I pulled this from the net does it look right?
Type 2 Front 1962-1972,models up to 217 148 459 and reads 5'±10'
Then models from 218 000 0001 15'±15'

Firstly, best find the specs in degrees. The wheel alignment technicians are not the brightest people around. You will have to tell them to manually set to your specification as they tend to only want to choose what vehicle they can see on the computer screen.

The specs above are for toe in / toe out only. They MUST check your camber as well. This would involve some stripping and shimming of the link pins to set it.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

sean wrote: They MUST check your camber as well. This would involve some stripping and shimming of the link pins to set it.
which they wont do - at least no shop I have ever visited was willing to do this and rather said its not possible.
Not possible for them maybe
Donovan D
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Donovan D »

I did shim it as per the offset chart for the 3.5” dropped spindles, so I should be right or at least in the right area there. Just need to get the toe-in sorted as my tires are shot. Will post a pic of my tires when I'm at a pc again
Donovan D
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Donovan D »

Took the kombi to Goodhope tyres yesterday to get new front tyres. They could not do the alignment after they did say they could do it. The specs was not on the system and they were really confused with the spec sheet I showed them.

Then I took it to Hi-Q around the corner. I stopped there during the week asking about the alignments and spec sheet I had. They told me they would be able to do it and just needed to insert the specs into the system. When I got there the same guy had a different story about updating machines and costs would be around R7000.

Took it to TWT in Bellville. Before even switching off the ignition the guys were already around the kombi. When I told them I need the front toe-in checked and adjusted they said they could not do it. But instead of these guys just walking away like the rest they actually showed and explained why not, even if they did have the specs on the machine their equipment would not go on my wheels because of the narrowed beam and rear wheel arches.
After a lot of discussion between them on what could be done one of the older guys came walking out the shop and told me to pull the kombi onto the ramp and turntables. Took out the measuring tape and started measuring and adjusting the tie-rods. According to him I had toe-out of 15mm. He adjusted it to 3-4mm toe-in. This is also within spec that Aaron at Widefive told me to set it to. I did not mention these specs to the TWT guy at all, only told him afterwards. They also did not charge me for the work. :hangloose:
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Brilliant.
I also had a similar issue in the past with no-one being able to adjust because the computer said no. And again, one of the older guys came out and just did it.
Unfortunately, these are the skills we are loosing in the computer age. If the computer doesnt say it can be done, then it cant be done.

Hope the bus is riding much better now. Can you feel much difference?
Donovan D
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Donovan D »

Tony Z wrote:Brilliant.
I also had a similar issue in the past with no-one being able to adjust because the computer said no. And again, one of the older guys came out and just did it.
Unfortunately, these are the skills we are loosing in the computer age. If the computer doesnt say it can be done, then it cant be done.

Hope the bus is riding much better now. Can you feel much difference?
True, while he was busy adjusting he did say the guys are useless without their machines.
Turning the steering wheel is a lot easier than before.
hitlers revenge
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: buggy
Great Britain

Post by hitlers revenge »

Donovan, please name your guy at TWT or send me a PM please.
Why do we celebrate the guy that invented the wheel??
Surely we must celebrate the guy tat invented the other three
Donovan D
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Donovan D »

hitlers revenge wrote:Donovan, please name your guy at TWT or send me a PM please.
He's name is Jude.
sean
Transmission
South Africa

Post by sean »

Donovan D wrote:Took the kombi to Goodhope tyres yesterday to get new front tyres. They could not do the alignment after they did say they could do it. The specs was not on the system and they were really confused with the spec sheet I showed them.

Then I took it to Hi-Q around the corner. I stopped there during the week asking about the alignments and spec sheet I had. They told me they would be able to do it and just needed to insert the specs into the system. When I got there the same guy had a different story about updating machines and costs would be around R7000.

Took it to TWT in Bellville. Before even switching off the ignition the guys were already around the kombi. When I told them I need the front toe-in checked and adjusted they said they could not do it. But instead of these guys just walking away like the rest they actually showed and explained why not, even if they did have the specs on the machine their equipment would not go on my wheels because of the narrowed beam and rear wheel arches.
After a lot of discussion between them on what could be done one of the older guys came walking out the shop and told me to pull the kombi onto the ramp and turntables. Took out the measuring tape and started measuring and adjusting the tie-rods. According to him I had toe-out of 15mm. He adjusted it to 3-4mm toe-in. This is also within spec that Aaron at Widefive told me to set it to. I did not mention these specs to the TWT guy at all, only told him afterwards. They also did not charge me for the work. :hangloose:

Fitment centres employ useless technicians, that is why I take my own tools and specs and simply tell them what to do. I cant understand why they persist to only work on cars listed on their machine. They just need to get a read out off it. Simple as that. No need to choose a car.

Palm wheel alignment in Strand still kept the old machine with mechanical measuring equipment, they will be able to help anyone with an old car.
Donovan D
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Donovan D »

Got my engine back from TonyZ during the week and am really happy with the result ! :hangloose: :hangloose:
The head work makes so much difference, going up that hill in 4th today and being able to accelerate felt so strange, not used to that at all.
Everything just feels so smooth.

While getting everything back on the engine I managed to snap one of the exhaust studs and when I tried to drill it out the bit snapped off. Took the engine to Dave at FFR early Saturday morning to get the stud out.
The misses also helped with cleaning some tin and bits.

Ready to rock and roll,