Project Fleetline

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
jahjuan
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: 73 Kombi

Re: Project Fleetline

Post by jahjuan »

sean wrote:I managed to get two pop out clips and the sliding window catch. Thanks Juan.

They polished up very nicely and I now have all my windows working.

Good luck with your split restoration. There is a lot of work ahead there.
No probs man! It looks good, glad you could get the rear broken one replaced! The labour is part of the fun, I'm looking forward to that. :)

sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Post by sean »

splitbusahollic wrote:
sean wrote:it is jumping out of fourth gear when I accelerate hard. This is most disappointing. All the gear changes are smooth and quite so hopefully this isn’t a major problem, I am just going to have to take it all out again and have the gearbox repaired.
My silver bus did the same thing...all i had to do was adjust the plate at the base of the gear lever....i loosened it placed it in second gear and re tightened it all and no more problems !!! try that first before stripping it all out !! :)
I have played around with the linkage already but with no luck or improvement. If you are cruising along at a moderate speed it stays in gear, as soon as I accelerate hard it kicks out of gear.
beetlepower
Twin Port
What model do you have?: Beetle, Squareback
South Africa

Project Fleetline

Post by beetlepower »

Don't accelerate hard...
'NO TYRE SHALL BE LEFT UNSMOKED'

@reubenvn on twitter
https://www.instagram.com/elbowgreasemonkeyza/
Donovan D
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 67 Panel
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=536371512
South Africa

Post by Donovan D »

Ask Bugger about the gear problem. I think louisvr45 also had a similiar problem,
Sean your Fleetline is lookg really great!!. You are making me think that I should have kept mine. :cry:
---------- 67 Panelvan -----------
---------- 56 Oval ----------
jolas
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: '65 Kombi

Post by jolas »

I have to agree Donovan, Sean your bus is looking really really cool - good work man :hangloose:
by fig » Mar 26, 2018
Sambas in South Africa are good for only 2 things: showing off and sunburn.
Dutch_Diver
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: 64 bus & 63 Bug
Facebook: www.facebook.com/people/Frank-Van-Hoof/576686903

Project Fleetline

Post by Dutch_Diver »

Sean! she's looking great!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=50.838404,-1.818033
"MO" - 1965 Splitscreen bus --> http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... =37&t=9305" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"BOBBIE" - 1963 Beetle --> http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 23&t=11338" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
karmakoma
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: 69 dual trunk coupe

Post by karmakoma »

Great looking bus! Once the interior is done, she'll be a Show stopper/winner for sure :D

Nice radio :hangloose:
beetlefanatic
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: Late Bay, Syncro x 2

Post by beetlefanatic »

Awesome work dude!
The only substitute for cubic inches are more cubic inches.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

have you checked all the linkage bushings? I dont know how many there are but I am sure there are a few, play in each will effect things...
sean
Transmission
South Africa

Post by sean »

Tony Z wrote:have you checked all the linkage bushings? I dont know how many there are but I am sure there are a few, play in each will effect things...
These have also been replaced, I purchased a link kit which consisted of a few plastic bushes and the coupling between the gearbox and shift rod.

I never drove the vehicle before fitting this kit but I am very doubtful that this is to blame. I can feel the gear changes very crisply and feels as if 4th engages fully. I will play around with it some more before taking everything out again though.

Thanks for all the advice and comments.
sean
Transmission
South Africa

Post by sean »

The Fleetline is running well. I have put a few kilometres on it over this past week and all seems good. Yesterday I went to visit Paul in the morning and on the way it started raining and then the gravel road through mud all over my nice clean chassis and suspension components :( , but it’s just too bad. I like to drive my cars and not let them stand in a garage all the time. At least it cleared up and the drive home was without the rain. It was a good test to check for leaks and that the wipers are working well.

I had one problem though, but it was just a blown headlight globe on the way. I need to get hold of a set of those halogen globes anyway to replace those old round types.

Total km for the week was 374km. Fuel consumption was 8.05km/l for mixed driving between Somerset West and Cape Town. Doesn’t seem too bad so far?

As all the mechanicals seem good. I am taking the bus to the upholsterers tomorrow. I am going with a combination of a light and dark cream just like the outside. Probably hideously impractical but it’s not going to be a camping bus like my baywindow. He is doing the roof lining, the two front seats, the two bench seats and the carpeting throughout. I am sure it is going to sound a huge amount better when driving once this is done because at the moment it is a little on the hollow and tinny side with no insulation.

He has two weeks to complete the job and then Tonia and myself want to take it on a short road trip the weekend it is finished. :hangloose:
sean
Transmission
South Africa

Post by sean »

For interest here is a summary of the costs spent so far for you guys who are interested in a rebuild. When it is back from the upholsterers it would have been 5 years and 2 months since purchasing it. It really didn’t feel that long, I can’t believe it!

Initial purchase: R4 500 (including rotten donor bus)

Body: R2 223 (sand blasting, steel, grinding disks, welding components, gas etc)

Paint: R4 464 (all the paints, primers, top coats, sanding disks, thinners etc)

Engine: R6 063 (complete bus with 1600 engine: R2 500, refurbish all other components: R3 500 which was powder coating and purchasing missing tin ware, reconditioned alternator, carb overhaul, fuel lines, distributor vacuum advance, pulley’s, belts, gaskets, nuts and bolts, electrics etc)

Brakes and suspension: R3 787 (all brake shoes, reconditioning master and slave cylinders, new flexible hoses, skimming drums, shocks, drag link, tie rods, bushes, axle boots, powder coating, brake fluid) (tyres I already had, quite a saving there!)

Rubber products: R1 190 (all the solid and pop out window rubbers, engine seal, engine and gearbox mounts and I still need to purchase the inner door seals)

Electrical: R1 507 (All wiring for the loom, lugs, fittings, heat shrink, solder, globes and a battery)

Towing: R 540 (Trailer hire)

Accessories, miscellaneous: R 1 105 (nuts, bolts, consumables, items under R50 all together)

Petrol: R2 650 (towing and all the driving around for the parts and supplies)

Interior: R5 800

Total: R31 814

The only part I did not do myself was the sand blasting and powder coating, everything else I completed myself. It's a pity I never kept a summary of the hours I spent working on it, but it is a serious amount!!
vw59beetle
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: Enjoyable one

Post by vw59beetle »

Good attitude Keep it up . I like the fact that you enjoy your cars, as simple as that.
Wernher
Blitzkrieg
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: none

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Just goes to show that you don't need to spend exorbitant amounts on a resto :hangloose: Bus is looking clean and smooth without those stupid overriders on the bumpers :)
If it's too low, you're too old :twisted:
jolas
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: '65 Kombi

Post by jolas »

What a great sight it was to see this bus coming up the gravel road to my place - under it's own steam. It is hard to believe that this is the same wreck I found in a Paarl front yard all those years ago. A major accomplishment Sean. Going to look stunning with the upholstry completed :hangloose:
by fig » Mar 26, 2018
Sambas in South Africa are good for only 2 things: showing off and sunburn.