Retrovan's 1968 Fastback

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Re: Not 1967 but 1968 Fastback now with twin weber 2000cc mo

Post by retrovan »

well I finally set the head lights, and checked every thing.

Did some emergency braking, with the car to see if it has brake fade, but all works well.

Did a night drive, just to see that the head lights are correctly set, and enjoyed a pleasure leisure cruse down a long, quit highway, in the cool evening breeze.

Hell the pleasures of driving a Fastback is always so rewarding. :D

Should really feel sorry for you guys that have not got a Fastback........ :roll: All the pleasures in life that you miss..... :lol:
:lol:

So now off to Road Worthy............. :shock:

Herman

1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Dawie
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: Aircooled, various
South Africa

Post by Dawie »

Indeed a very rewarding experience when you take a project car on it's first trips...

Hope your fastback passes roadworthy.
Staying Aircooled is so much nicer.
Do'nt assume anything- (While doing fault-finding).
retrovan
Donor
Donor
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

well I must say that the Fastback went through with flying colours. :D

Even got a compliment from the grumpy old man that never speaks. :D

So now with RWC in the file, Licence disk on the screen, Number plates on both ends, and an itch to run it on a Long trip, all we need now is for work to stop interfering, and hit the road for some quite one on one drive time.......

Only have 150 on the clock now, so will run it in around town, then once its had its 2nd oil change, the road it will be..........

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
jolas
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: '65 Kombi

Post by jolas »

:hangloose: Congrats Herman, glad all went well, it's been great following this progress of this project. Have to agree with Dawie, it is a great feeling going on that first drive, new number plates, disk and all 8)
by fig » Mar 26, 2018
Sambas in South Africa are good for only 2 things: showing off and sunburn.
retrovan
Donor
Donor
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

jolas wrote::hangloose: Congrats Herman, glad all went well, it's been great following this progress of this project. Have to agree with Dawie, it is a great feeling going on that first drive, new number plates, disk and all 8)
JAAA! Thanks guys, its been a nice project, sad its over, but the next is already lined up.

The joy as you say will be in the driving, and to see the joy in the faces of the guys hooting and giving it the thumbs up as you drive along.

The Fastback has a lot of sentiment connected to it, as it was a red one that was my 1st bought car, with my own hard earned money.

Went through the "losbal" stage with it, and it never let me down, always got me home, sometimes sounding like :bn: but needles to say always back home.

But thanks to all so far, and on the closing of the thread, we will be thanking all for their help.

Well we will do some Kilos on it soon before we close this Thread.......

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
hitlers revenge
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: buggy
Great Britain

Post by hitlers revenge »

its only 800km's to CPT. :lol:

Congrats boet. Well Done.
Why do we celebrate the guy that invented the wheel??
Surely we must celebrate the guy tat invented the other three
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

I agree, a trip to CPT should be on the cards
retrovan
Donor
Donor
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Was hoping that the next post here would be the closing post as this thread has run its course.

But as I was trying to build up the Run-in Miles for the 2nd oil change, so that the Fastback could make its Cape Town maiden trip, it broke...... :shock:

Went to the other end of PE, to add just another "short" trip to the running in proses, when the clutch gave a slow disappearing trick.

In my mind I said, "there goes the cable, sliding out of its fittings... :roll:

Well, as it is not the 1st time that a clutch cable broke on me, I drove the Fastback home.

As it was through town, and in traffic, it always get a bit hairy as you need to judge the lights, as well as the other traffic.

Got it home, and got myself ready to change the cable, but to my surprise, the cable is intact. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

So now what can it be.. :huh: :wtf:

Will have to take out the engine to find out,
Maybe,
Collapsed pressure plate
Broken forks

Who Knows, will let you know.

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Dawie
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: Aircooled, various
South Africa

Post by Dawie »

My first guess is clutch fork, where the 2 arms for the release bearing was welded to the shaft...
Staying Aircooled is so much nicer.
Do'nt assume anything- (While doing fault-finding).
retrovan
Donor
Donor
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Dawie wrote:My first guess is clutch fork, where the 2 arms for the release bearing was welded to the shaft...
I fear you may be right, oh! heck, and that type 4 engine is F&@k heavy.... :oops:

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
retrovan
Donor
Donor
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

As a lot of you know, my Fastbacks clutch stopped working the other day, well have taken the engine out, and found the problem.
What a job taking out a Type 4 2000lt motor out al by my self, not as young as I used to be, in my youth, I got it out and back in after work, ready for 1st show at the drive-in.

What lead up to this Clutch failure started when I stopped at a stop street, pressed down the clutch, it engage 1st gear, when the pressure on the peddle faded.

The peddle still had a little resistance on it, but would not disengage the clutch.

Thank goodness I could still drive a VW without a clutch, through traffic, Had lots of practice as a poor teenager.. :lol:

Drove the car home, got under the car, had my son, press the clutch peddle, and had a look at the box, all was working fine, cable intact, arm moving.

There was no noise when it happened, and no noise when starting or driving the car, also no noise when pressing the clutch in.

Forks intact when opened, rod and shaft fully connected and working. Clutch plate and pressure plate fully functional,

Keeping in mind that During the restoration of this Fastback the forks where changed to take the new style thrust bearing, with clips and all. This was done correctly, all worked lekker till.....

What happened, was that the Circlip, holding the shaft in, against the bush, broke, allowing the forks to move off to the side, moving the sleeve just enough to bend the holding clip on the thrust bearing, where it disengaged from its position, bending the 2nd clip, and turning 90 deg.
The fade that I got on the peddle, was most probably the thrust bearing being forced in between the forks.
Amassing how a Penny part can cause a good couple of Ponds of :bn:

Well I have removed the fork, fork bushes, and thrust bearing. Cleaned it all up, widened the circlip grooves to take two circlips each, re-lubricated the bushes, and re-assembled the forks, with the thrust bearing, making sure the retaining clips are bent and tensioned correctly.

Well as all luck would have it, nobody around to refit the engine, so once again it me, my self, and I, that put the heavy beast back into place.

Also replaced the beetle starter, with the kombi one I got from Calooker clearance sale, and decided to service the engine at the same time.

Well the draining of the oil, replacing of the oil filter, and replacing of the tappet cover seals went uneventfully, TILL I stuck my finger into the oil..... :shock: The smell of petrol... :shock:

So, Not sure if it was the old Solex's that leaked, or the new Webers, I had to take off the air filters, set up the lead light, and switch on the electric fuel pump. Starring into both carb,s told me that the floats were working fine, must have been the Solex's.

But now I am paranoid, I know that most VW carbs leak as they get older, and can set the car on fire, and/or thin the oil to the point of running bearings.

So I Re-set my Accelerator cable, to give it more slack, so it will not activate the carb pump by expansion and vibration, and will also be fitting a Electrical Fuel Shut-off valve in the fuel line.

This valve will be a normally closed valve, and only let fuel through when the ignition is switched on.

:D Will also run it through my car alarm, so the fuel will cut out when the alarm goes off. :D

Come to think of it, will be fitting one of these valves into each one of my Aircooled's.

Well thats it for now, hope to run it up to 700 or a 1000Miles, with out more problems, then i can close off this thread correctly.

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
retrovan
Donor
Donor
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Had to wait for a break in the rain, as we are having us a Mini Flood here in the Eastern Cape.

The Fastback was taken on a short run to see if all is in order with the repair.

She was a perfect Lady, Looked good all the way, Never made any unpleasant noises, was willing to do what you wanted, and purred all the way. :D :oops:

Came home and just to make sure all is in place, parked her on a clean section of Paving.

Just to see if she needs to "mark her territory". :shock:

So far so good.

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
CooP
Clutch
What model do you have?: '71/72 Hybrid Westy
South Africa

Post by CooP »

retrovan wrote:She was a perfect Lady, Looked good all the way, Never made any unpleasant noises, was willing to do what you wanted, and purred all the way.
Excellent stuff. I hope that the rest of your miles together are just like that :)
Size does matter
retrovan
Donor
Donor
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Well, once again a small issue has raised it head, during the running in part of this thread.

As I am trying to build up miles on the engine, and to sort out these little issues that pop up prior to taking a long road trip on my own, the Fastback spluttered and came to a halt.

After taking some time to release a few choice words, she started again and ran for a couple of hundred yards.
Then she died again.
Waited, and started again, then I know.....AH HA!!, the fuel is not coming through. The Electric Fuel pump was battling to shift the fuel to the back.

At home,I removed the fuel filter, and had to blow out the fuel line, thats how bad it was blocked.
Removed the tank, and oh boy!! the amount of rust, you could fill a cup.

So this time I decided to go the full Monty, do the tank my self, the right way.

Here is how I did it... http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 36#p243536

Well, lets see if I can make it NOW to the 1000 mile mark.

Till then

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
retrovan
Donor
Donor
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

So the Tank has been cleaned inside, de-rusted, epoxy coated, and cured for a week.

Also fitted a Electrical cut off solenoid into the fuel line, so that it can be used in 4 ways.
1) to shut off fuel when not running, so that I will not have leaking into the engine,
2) will shut off fuel when there is a fire, as all aircooleds burn out because the fuel gravity feeds the flames.
3) to link it to the burgle alarm, to stop the guy driving it away.
4) with an added concealed switch, I can control the pumping of fuel when servicing the car.

You will note that I have placed the pump on a rubber pad, to reduce noise, and the Fuel Solenoid on a plated raised plate for cooling.
Here an other view

Here are the photos of the epoxied tank, inside and out, but the outside was covered with rubberrize, to stop chipping.

Till next time........

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc