Rear suspension adjust

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
Ron&Gill
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: Type 1, 21b, 34, 316
Netherlands

Re: Rear suspension adjust

Post by Ron&Gill »

I looked for posts but I can't find anything about your engine... what did you do to it?

1964 T34 - The Razor: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10290
1956 T2 1b - Gill's bus: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10948
1967 T316 - viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10931 & viewtopic.php?f=23&t=15977
2000 beach buggy - viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10915
hitlers revenge
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?: buggy
Great Britain

Post by hitlers revenge »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

It was a big secret. I don't think anybody knew.

Loopy kept it very hush, hush.
Why do we celebrate the guy that invented the wheel??
Surely we must celebrate the guy tat invented the other three
Loopy
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: Beach Buggy

Post by Loopy »

My engine was the small project that Tony was working on during his last shore leave, need to make a new post on it or update my buggy fixer-up post with the newest (and some not so new) changes made to the buggy. What I can say is that this might be able to convey my feelings :bowdown:

Thanks as well to HR for his time that he offered up getting the suspension in order :hangloose:
"What I would suggest is that you draw up a project plan and then prioritise the things you NEED to do linked to the budget you have." by Vader
Truer words have never been spoken...
Ron&Gill
Full-time Bug Nutter
What model do you have?: Type 1, 21b, 34, 316
Netherlands

Post by Ron&Gill »

So what all did Loopy do to crack his poker face into a grin?
1964 T34 - The Razor: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10290
1956 T2 1b - Gill's bus: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10948
1967 T316 - viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10931 & viewtopic.php?f=23&t=15977
2000 beach buggy - viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10915
acpaterson
Carburettor
What model do you have?: Winston, a 74 Bay
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Thread Resurrection required.. :zhelp:

@ loopy and HR, I need some clarity on this please. I'm in the situation where I need to perform this adjustement in the next couple of days. The Speedy sits a tad too high at the rear, I'd say it's 3 to 4 cm's. I am keen to try and do this myself, and have all the tools, however, from what I've seen on Youtube etc, it doesn't look very convincingly simple, and looks as if it's very easy to mis position the splines going back in, and then you end up with the setup being uneven, or lop-sided.

Was your process as follows. Once the sideshaft was off and the plate cover off, you jack up the spring plate to control it's "loaded tension", then pry it off the lip and gently lower the jack till it's "at rest". When are you measuring those angles? While it's all still connected and "sprung"?

Looking forward to your suggestions and comments please chaps.

Also, Why did you buy bushes? Are they required to be replaced when you adjust the Plates angle?

Pls elaborate a little more gents.

thanks in advance

regards

Alan
Gerlach
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: 1976 Type 1 beetle
South Africa

Post by Gerlach »

acpaterson wrote:Thread Resurrection required.. :zhelp:

@ loopy and HR, I need some clarity on this please. I'm in the situation where I need to perform this adjustement in the next couple of days. The Speedy sits a tad too high at the rear, I'd say it's 3 to 4 cm's. I am keen to try and do this myself, and have all the tools, however, from what I've seen on Youtube etc, it doesn't look very convincingly simple, and looks as if it's very easy to mis position the splines going back in, and then you end up with the setup being uneven, or lop-sided.

Was your process as follows. Once the sideshaft was off and the plate cover off, you jack up the spring plate to control it's "loaded tension", then pry it off the lip and gently lower the jack till it's "at rest". When are you measuring those angles? While it's all still connected and "sprung"?

Looking forward to your suggestions and comments please chaps.

Also, Why did you buy bushes? Are they required to be replaced when you adjust the Plates angle?

Pls elaborate a little more gents.

Ek het destyds vir my n tool gemaak om te help om die "plates" af te kry onder toe. Ek het so bietjie nare stories gehoor van wat daai spring plates los kom op jaks, dan slaan hy als af wat in sy pat is. ek moet eintlik kyk waar die tool is en dit post. maklik entlik om te maak, en dan weet jy doen als veilig. Ek het adjustable spring plates op my beetle. Image
Maak dit makliker om presies te stel die hoogte.
Goeie tip wat ek jou kan gee, kry n correction pen en maak merkies op die sideshaft en spring plate, dit maak dit makliker vir jou as jy jou oues gaan gebruik, dan kan jy sien hoeveel jy geskywe het. Laat weet as jy sukkel.

thanks in advance

regards

Alan
Loopy
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: Beach Buggy

Post by Loopy »

Alan

We used a length of chain looped around the shock tower and the jack, which made the process more controllable.

Angles was measured with the spring plate in a relaxed state. The bushes was slightly worn, so I used the opportunity to replace them while everything was disassembled.

Make certain that whatever you use to measure the angles, is of a good quality. The one I used gave me issues, so I ended up using an app on my phone (Protractor + Angle Gauge Free on Android). The buggy was standing on 4 axle stands, so that it was level all around. You will need to play around with the inner and outer splines to get the two sides as close as possible to each other.

Regards
Robert
"What I would suggest is that you draw up a project plan and then prioritise the things you NEED to do linked to the budget you have." by Vader
Truer words have never been spoken...
Licons
Drip
What model do you have?: 1982

Post by Licons »

Stupid question, my beach buggy while driving, both rear wheels go into a negative camber, looks like i have a huge load on the rear, but its just me in the buggy. Any advice to a rookie as to where to set the camber right or tighten it? Ive looked and i am battling to see where
buggyfan
Long Block
What model do you have?: lwb beachbuggy
South Africa

Post by buggyfan »

You have to remove your trailing arms and re-index the splines on your torsion tubes. Quite a tricky operation to get it right.
http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... tt#p269451" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;