My Baja Bug Rebuild

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
Edmond
Valve
What model do you have?: 1973 Baja Bug

Re: My Baja Bug Rebuild

Post by Edmond »

At long last the passenger side heater channel is trimmed of all it's excess metal and fits nicely, just need to paint it inside as it has a bit of rust inside. Next time I will tack it in place and once happy with door gaps and fit fully weld it in place.

Edmond
Valve

Post by Edmond »

Been a while since I posted an update because I haven't made much progress. The passenger side heater channel is all painted with rust converter and duramax dtm paint, I still need to weld a cap on the part where it fits on the rear crossmember. Visited pro auto rubber to check for seals found new window scrapers, cal look window rubber and an universal boot seal which will work well on the fiberglass front bonnet going to get these items as soon as payday comes. Also started prepping the side bars and front bull bar for a fresh coat of paint.
Edmond
Valve

Post by Edmond »

Tried everything today but cant get the door gap right on the passenger side the door sags by 20mm and catches on the heater channel door pillar to quarter panel measurement is 10mm too big as well door post was braced to the quarter panel b pillar but something has moved anyone got any advice on this I haven't welded in the heater channel yet will only do when the door gap is sorted
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

What I had to do with MeFusco, was to weld in brace across the places I had problems with.

This brace was cut in half and a turn buckle welded into the brace leg.

This will allow you to either push or pull in the required directions.

Make sure the brace is away to allow door to be fitted.

Once the door is correct, you tack in your sill

Hope this helps

Herman

PS, Remember to only tack , cool, tack, cool, .... do not weld full runs as it will increase or decrease gaps and you have to start over.

1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Edmond
Valve

Post by Edmond »

I managed to get new inner front window scrapers, front windscreen rubber and a universal boot rubber for the fibreglass baja bonnet at Pro Auto Rubber today.
I also made some new speedo side guage panels from 3mm black leathergrain ABS on friday, I made them to accept 1 small gauge each mainly a voltmeter and a oil temp gauge, going to secure these with S/S allen head M3 x 12mm cap screws, I am thinking of offering these for sale as a set with the required screws, washers and nyloc nuts if there is enough interest
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

I might be interested if you are able to supply them as blanks so I can drill for my own gauges
Edmond
Valve

Post by Edmond »

Tony Z wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:18 pm I might be interested if you are able to supply them as blanks so I can drill for my own gauges
great stuff need to check the fit first and work out a costing per set can do blank ones no problem. Made these ones to replace the rusty factory ones plus these will.look more slick
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

great, whatsapp me when you have worked things out...
I'm in no rush at all
Edmond
Valve

Post by Edmond »

Not much to report on, waiting for a passenger side door post repair panel to arrive from the UK I went with the thick HD red one, also purchased a passenger side front quarter floor pan was a steal at R450 from someone on a sa beetle Facebook group. The revision 2 speedo surrounds fit much better the small one's holes line up with the factory slots, the large one needs 4 new holes drilled in the dash but also uses 4 of the factory slots

Edmond
Valve

Post by Edmond »

Not much progress to report on still waiting for the door pillar repair panel to come in it didn't get sent with a proper courier got sent royal mail which hands it over the post office when it arrives, who knows when I will get it although it has arrived at capemail on Thursday. I sprayed the gauge rims and speedo trim silver today.
Edmond
Valve

Post by Edmond »

I said screw waiting for the door post repair panel, it's still sitting at the mail sorting centre in cape town, our post office is really useless I have sent numerous emails and their phones just ring at capemail another SOE down the toilet. I bit the bullet and ordered a door post repair panel from autostyle , should of done this in the beginning so hopefully it will arrive sometime next week then the project can continue. When and if the hd one from the uk arrives I will sell it if it doesn't get lost in the post office blackhole. Word of warning don't buy from Machine 7 in the uk the use royal mail which hands the parcels over to our post office I was really pissed off about this as I paid close to R600 for shipping I was expecting a proper courier at the price. Rant over now.
73type2
Pushrod
What model do you have?: '73 T2 Single Cab
France

Post by 73type2 »

It's hit and miss with the post office. Couple of months ago I got my package within three weeks from Germany. Another time I waited three months.
Edmond
Valve

Post by Edmond »

The door post repair panel arrived from autostyle R530 inc courier really good price but unfortunately can't work on the bug for a while I sprained my ankle last weekend. I'm also going to replace the brake master cylinder when the body is off the pan once the passenger side heater channel is in
Edmond
Valve

Post by Edmond »

Happiness the door post repair panel is the red HD one made from 1mm steel for the outer layer and 1.2mm steel for the inside reinforcement piece, this is a high quality piece it feels much heavier to the thin one black one I used for the drivers side
73type2
Pushrod
What model do you have?: '73 T2 Single Cab
France

Post by 73type2 »

Thanks for this, Edmond. I'll keep it in mind the next time I do a similar job. The last time I did this, I made my own repair sections. In hindsight I should've just bought repair pieces, but I learnt a lot in the process.