My Baja Bug Rebuild

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
Haans
Camshaft
What model do you have?: 1960 ghia
South Africa

Re: My Baja Bug Rebuild

Post by Haans »

You are scaring me boet !!!
Haans

Edmond
Valve
What model do you have?: 1973 Baja Bug

Post by Edmond »

Started repairing the passenger donor heater channel needs a section replaced on the bottom plate, have cut the rust out already and cut the excess sheetmetal I don't need on it. I need to get some steel plate cut into strips for the repairs. Also cut the rusty running board mount area out on the drivers side heater channel and removed the remnants of the old driver side heater channel from the front bulkhead.

Edmond
Valve

Post by Edmond »

Drivers side heater channel almost ready to go in running board area repaired, takes forever to remove the unnecessary pieces on the donor heater channel, drilling out spot welds cutting off pieces of metal etc. I'm hoping next time I work on the baja I can finally weld the heater channel in, need to get more mig flux core wire first though

Edmond
Valve

Post by Edmond »

Drivers side heater channel in still need to fully weld it in by the front bulkhead and the rear quarter panel had a lot of repair work on it had to make a new nut cage for the 2 front M10 bolts in the heater channel and a new front closing panel. Next is cutting out the old passenger side heater channel is really rotted, need to repair a bottom section on the donor passenger side heater channel first.

73type2
Pushrod
What model do you have?: '73 T2 Single Cab
France

Post by 73type2 »

It seems like that flux core MIG welder is doing it's job!
Edmond
Valve

Post by Edmond »

73type2 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:05 am It seems like that flux core MIG welder is doing it's job!
Yes I have mastered the art of using flux core mig welder controlling the heat is half the battle I have got my welder set up really good at the moment
73type2
Pushrod
What model do you have?: '73 T2 Single Cab
France

Post by 73type2 »

I've also stuck with my cheap R2500 flux core welder and nearly gave up a few times and bought a more expensive setup, but I stuck it out. I've learnt that a wire speed of between 2.5 and 3 on the LOW setting works good for me, as well as having a good earth cable contact on the weld piece. Also when the flux core wire gets rusty from standing too long the welder can splutter a bit.
Edmond
Valve

Post by Edmond »

My welder works well on wire speed 3 to 3.5m/min and volts about 22 . I really like the voltage been adjustable on my one makes fine tuning super easy. I always remove the wire spool when I'm done welding to prevent it going rusty might waste 3.5m of wire but will save the torch line and drive wheels
Edmond
Valve

Post by Edmond »

Got a little bit done on the baja today dispite lockdown. Welded in the door post hinge repair panel took a bit of time to get it to fit good just need to weld up a few pin holes and a few other areas then need to grind the welds done and smooth with body filler.
Really battled with the welder today though, the wire on the new spool doesn't rolling cleanly it's like it's all stuck together on the spool.
Hopefully next time I can start cutting out the passenger side heater channel and sort that side on then its prep for paint on the front section of the car.
Till next time, keep safe everyone.

Edmond
Valve

Post by Edmond »

Got a little more done passenger side donor heater channel bottom plate repaired with 2mm plate and weld nut inserts.
Old passenger side heater channel almost out, is really vrot plan to remove all its other remains next time.

Edmond
Valve

Post by Edmond »

Old passenger side heater channel remains are totally out now also started cutting out more rust will it ever end

Edmond
Valve

Post by Edmond »

Haven't done much on the baja lately still busy repairing the passenger side heater channel, working on the car on a sunday once every two weeks is not helping either just cant get much done in half a day. On a better note I did get some seatbelts and a tin of tectyl 506 to coat the inner door posts, also got a quick shift kit for the gear lever from forum member Brian J. I'm also busy constructing a body dolly to raise the body off the floor and allow me to work on the chassis and body more comfortable and allow me to roll it around the garage. Engine is also coming out shortly to allow me to raise the body off the chassis

Edmond
Valve

Post by Edmond »

Got some more donor parts from Bennie aka VW Oldie namely part of the passenger side floor with seat rail and the end pieces of the napoleons hat or the front chassis crossmember(the part where the 4 x M10 Bolts hold the body down)
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

when are you planning to be back on the road?
Edmond
Valve

Post by Edmond »

Tony Z wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:24 am when are you planning to be back on the road?
I'm hoping early next year, things would go much quicker if I had my own garage but unfortunately life is what it is.

Still need to sort out some rust issues then its prep and spray, then to sort out the chassis rust mainly just the new passenger floor and front crossmember repair, electrics tidy up and brakes(fit the good s/h front drum I got last year, new wheel bearings, bleed and adjust brakes)

Luckily with the lockdown I have a bit of extra money to sink in the baja

I have also already cut a shallow sub box to mount in the dog box just need to assemble it but that is last on the list

The bodywork is taking way longer than I thought though.