My Baja Bug Rebuild

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
Edmond
Valve
What model do you have?: 1973 Baja Bug

My Baja Bug Rebuild

Post by Edmond »

Well it's time to give my baja some love.

I have my work cut out on this one, the floors are vrot, engine leaks oil but still strong, rear axle thread stripped, front suspension bent with very loose link pins, rust patches, broken welds on clutch tube in tunnel all
on a very limited budget

The plan is to remove the engine first, remove the gearbox sort the axle out and give the gearbox a good service at the same time.

Still deciding if I should open the engine or not, she has 165 000 km on the bottom end, heads were replaced along with the rings at 100 000 km but she leaks a lot of oil mostly from the crap empi collapsible p/r tubes and the crank main seal but she still starts and runs like a charm so might just go with that saying "dont scratch if it doesn't itch"

I have collected a few parts so far like a good complete front beam with nice tight king and link pins, a proper 4 in 1 ss buggy /baja exhaust, some new seals, clutch plate etc from FFR, also getting a good s/h long spline axle from Dave at FFR, a door hinge pillar repair panel (been gathering dust for 7 years)

Pics to follow as soon as I have some progress

Edmond
Valve

Re: My Baja Bug Rebuild

Post by Edmond »

Finally made some progress on my baja, its got a serious oil leak from the back of the engine, im thinking crank main seal or the oil cooler. Next thing to do now the engine is out is to replace the drivers side axle shaft with a good s/h one i got, cleanup the gearbox, fit new axle boots and hub seal kits, drain and refill the gearbox oil and replace the rear gearbox mountings
WP_20150503_11_12_05_Pro (Small).jpg
WP_20150503_12_17_52_Pro (Small).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Edmond
Valve

Post by Edmond »

Some more progress today, drained the gearbox oil(only about a litre came out :( ), then stripped down the sideshaft components and attempted to get the circlip out that holds the axle and side gear in place, it won the battle.
Any tips on how to get the circlip out besides using a meaty big set of circlip pilers as I dont want to buy a set of big circlip pliers and use them once, maybe someone in CT has a set I can loan pls
Edmond
Valve

Post by Edmond »

Got some parts from Dave at FFR yesterday( New Castle Nut, Starter Bush and Inner Axle Spacer)
Circlip came out within seconds with my new circlip pliers, old axle out at long last
Took the diff side gear and fulcrum plates out, they still look great for being 40+ years old
Took a while to get the right stack of gaskets for the axle tube side cover but its good day
Fulcrum Plates stuck in side gear with grease, axle inserted, clearance checked., axle assembly carefully fitted and the Thrust Washer and Circlip Fitted
Axle tube installed and tightened down with nice new nylock nuts, Springl Plate tightened down to axle tube
New hub seals, good s/h brake drum and new castle nut on and torqued to spec with new split pin fitted
Tried to fit the starter bush but the new one fits very loose might need to use some loctite sleeve retainer or make a few punch marks in the hole in the bellhousing
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Edmond wrote:........ but the new one fits very loose might need to use some loctite sleeve retainer or make a few punch marks in the hole in the bellhousing
Are you sure you have the right one.?

You get two or 3 sizes, I had to fit two bushes into each other, as i was using a different starter.

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Edmond
Valve

Post by Edmond »

Got the 12v starter bushing for a 12v gearbox, it fits in the bellhousing location just a little loose can push in in and out by hand, its about 0.1mm too small

Its definitely the right bush just might be a bad one out of the batch, I guess another trip to FFR or my local FLAPS
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

could be worn, as you say, locktite may work once you peened it.

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Edmond
Valve

Post by Edmond »

Got a starter rebuild kit for R35 from my local Midas it comes with new brushes, brush end bushing and drive end bushing. The bushings look higher quality than the one I got last week, so im gonna rebuild the starter with the new parts and hopefully the drive end bush will be a better fit, it measures 13.6mm od which seems to be the right size, will see next weekend. Also got some new hose clamps for the axle boots, dont like the funny clip ones that come with the boots, once those are on it's time to fill the transmission with new oil, then its onto the engine to cure the oil leaks and replace the clutch
Edmond
Valve

Post by Edmond »

New Axle Boots fitted and the gearbox filled with fresh 80w90 Castrol GL4 Gear Oil, probably the first time in 40+ years its got completely new oil in.

Also rebuilt the starter a few weeks ago, the brushes were worn right down

Next on the list is to strip the engine down to the short block, I might fit new big end bearings and new exhaust valves for good insurance while im at it, gotta remove the flywheel and send it for skimming and then to sort out why the main seal always leaks and get rid of the :bn: empi collapsible pushrod tubes then fit some stock push rod tubes while the heads are off.
Edmond
Valve

Re: My Baja Bug Rebuild Decisions

Post by Edmond »

Managed to work a bit on my baja today, fitted a new clutch return spring(a mission but its on), sorted out the starter bushing and fitted the starter

Started stripping down the engine to a sub assembly, looks like its got a major oil leak bigger than I thought but the bad news is it has 1.5mm End Play :( so a rebuild is on the cards but the funds are just not there for this at the moment

I have a spare casing which im going to send to Claude Inder if he is still open for a linebore but I need a crank, conrods, flywheel and a set of used sleeves with pistons to build to build up a new engine, if anyone has these laying around pls let me know I have a few parts I could swap them for namely a 4 in 1 Beamish Buggies Stainless Steel Buggy/Baja Exhaust with no J Pipes, A ventless engine Lid(it might be a 1967 one says VW 1500 0n) and a nice big beefy bench vise

I need to make a decision about the baja fairly soon, do I part it out or sell it as is complete or try to plod along with the rebuild
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

speak to me about the bench vise. I might be willing to add funds to your build.

i get home in a week, but I am pretty sure i have almost everything on your wishlist

what happened to the engine you were building a while back? I thought it was nearly done?
Edmond
Valve

Post by Edmond »

The engine I was building a few years ago I had to sell it to fund an operation for my daughters hip, Slak on the forum bought it for his baja in 2011

I thought I could just get away with replacing the exhaust valves and the PR tubes but the engine is really in a bad state much worse than I thought and I know when I split it im going to find a can of worms, it still ran suprisingly well for 165000km on the bottom end since it was built in 2002 but used a litre of oil every 3 weeks

Check the pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

open it up and see. I see you have an external filter, so you might just be pleasantly surprised.

I wouldnt mind looking at the vise in person. pm me what you want for it
Edmond
Valve

Post by Edmond »

Managed to strip the engine down totally, but before I did I measured the end play more accurately come out at 0.5mm so its not too bad but still almost 4 times the limit.
Pistons and Sleeves still look good, maybe just a hone to deglaze them and new rings.
Crank, cam and cam followers look absolutely beautiful for 165000km on the them, this is what you get for running a full flow oil filter system.
The crank is still in spec on all the journals with absolutely no scoring or grooving, just going to get it polished
The casing needs a line bore and thrust cut, the No1 main thrust bearing moves about 0.35mm in its saddle but this was expected with the high mileage on the engine so it will need to be cut .060" or 1.5mm over.
Cylinder heads still need to be stripped but looks like no cracks so maybe just new exhaust valves in them for peace of mind.
Also found the reason for the big oil leak at the flywheel the kak brazilian blue oil seal was rock hard and running loose on the flywheel, I have a proper german red silicone one for when the engine goes back together.
Im still deciding which casing to use, the current one which needs a linebore to 1.5mm or the spare casing which needs a linebore to 0.5mm
It looks like just new main, cam and bigend bearings, new rings, balance all the rotating assembly, revalve heads and new gaskets with stock push rod tubes. I might get the flywheel lightened and the crank flywheel assembly 8 dowelled along with skimming the flywheel.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

nicely done, thats a good luck.
If you use the current case you dont have to spend a day getting police clearance... Then keep the other one for the next rebuild or sell it on to fund the project.