'74 Devon Bay Camper - Winston

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
cliveawn
Drip
What model do you have?: 1978

Re: '74 Devon Bay Camper - Interior Rebuild.

Post by cliveawn »

Nice job!

Green 78 Westfalia Helsinki,

2056 with 41 x 34 valves,ported heads
Fully balanced
8,5:1CR
JPM Custom made cam
JPM 7075 dual taper pushrods
IDF 40's with 28mm venturi's
Phyton CSP 42mm exhaust.
Accufire electronic ignition.
115HP (dyno)
acpaterson
Carburettor
What model do you have?: Winston, a 74 Bay
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Thanks guys.

Well, we had a little outing yesterday at Heritage Day. Hooked up with Branden and we went in on our own, the Speedster, Dee in Winston, Branden in his bus Betty, and his Dad in the Triumph. Set up where we could find space, it was pretty much a free-for-all as no one really know where we should be.. Anyway, I had the opportunity to set up my Gazebo, and we actually had a cool day there.. So I'm feeling a lot more confident by bus is ready to rock.. Ok we still need to get the curtain done for privacy etc, but other than that, it seems all good.

I was having a bit of an issue with the fridge setup. So thought I'd share the end result. This setup is based pretty much on Branden's setup, which works great. It includes a 60 L Hisense Bar Fridge (220 V), running of Shore Power when on site, or via Inverter (Samlex 1000 Watt) when rolling on 12 V.

I also wired up the bus with a proper DB Panel and circuit breakers for all the protection needed when working with both AC and DC power.

The DB box essentially selects either DC (and then inverter) to provide AC power wherever needed, or you select AC (via Shore Power) and the camper is powered as normal through the umbilical cord at Campsite. But I was struggling to get the Inverter to run the fridge. (In fact I have a Waeco 550 Watt unit for sale as well), and a few other pieces of junk I bought to try get this to work "on the cheap".. It eventually turned out a lack of Ah on the battery side that was causing the problem. I had installed twin matching 86 Ah Batteries, much more than the prescribed 65 or whatever Ah they are supposed to have. But even that wasn't enough, via 16mm thick cable. Once I fed the second battery through to the Inverter, essentially doubling the Ah supply to 160 plus, only then did the inverter manage the startup of the fridge without any beeping or tripping.

So if anyone is considering a small bar fridge (which is a MUCH cheaper and just as good solution ) than these expensive Engle or Waeco 12 volt fridges, be sure you have a deep cycle 2nd battery to power the Inverter with sufficient power. And don't try skimp on cabling.. Thick, insulated, and fitted with proper lugs.

Will be attempting our first one-nighter very soon, and will take more pics then.

Alan
Dawie
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: Aircooled, various
South Africa

Post by Dawie »

Remember that a typical "modified sinewave" or "simulated sinewave" inverter is unsuitable for running an induction motor. (The type of motor that locks to the mains frequency). Like a 220v refrigerator or pool pump motor. These need a proper pure sinewave inverter. Otherwise they will draw excessive current and eventually burn out or be damaged.

Motors that have brushes inside, (like hand drills,) are different and do not require a perfect sinewave, these should be fine on "modified sinewave" (common computer ups). (Input of a computer supply is internally rectified to dc and smoothed before being converted down, so it does not care about shape of wave.)

These so-called "modified sinewave inverters" have a very crude output waveform, which is actually a square wave having around 50% duty cycle. The name is misleading, output is nowhere near that of a sinewave.

Do you know which type of inverter your Samlex is?
Staying Aircooled is so much nicer.
Do'nt assume anything- (While doing fault-finding).
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Hi Dawie,
it's a Modified Sine Wave, square wave form. but it does run the system no problem. And considering my outlay here is only 3 K, it's a lot cheaper than the 6 to 9 grand units advertised for camping and caravaning, so I'm risk accepting it for now. It only really will run now and then, so I doubt it will hurt the fridge much.

Cheers

Alan
Dawie
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: Aircooled, various
South Africa

Post by Dawie »

Those 12v compressors are indeed expensive. At one stage i looked into replacing the 220v compressor in a normal fridge with a 12v Danfoss unit... a few grand just for the compressor.

Your kombi is looking nice. Are the windows tinted?
Staying Aircooled is so much nicer.
Do'nt assume anything- (While doing fault-finding).
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Thanks buddy,
yup, they have a road-legal tint on them. Certainly helps to create a little more privacy in the back..
Got to start on the curtains today.

And thanks to Nico for the Cubby door donation.. Finishes it off just right..

beetlefanatic
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: Late Bay, Syncro x 2

Post by beetlefanatic »

Hi Alan, the bus looks great. Don't you want to snap a few pics of the radio install. I am thinking of something like that as well but wasn't sure what it would look like.

Does the sun not bother the brightness of the display?
The only substitute for cubic inches are more cubic inches.
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Hi,

it's an Eastern Import called Paramount. Double Din, and FULL of features, excellent bang for your buck. The Screen is nice, and yes now and then it's hard to see it in sun, but then you don't really look at it all the time. I'm very pleased with it.

Cheers.
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

All curtains finished.

:hangloose:
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Last bit of Tech to go in, HD TV..

Good to watch movies on, or browse through photos or Gopro footage taken while out at a site. Very cool tech.

:hangloose:
jolas
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: '65 Kombi

Post by jolas »

Well done hey - mission accomplished !
by fig » Mar 26, 2018
Sambas in South Africa are good for only 2 things: showing off and sunburn.
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Thanks Jolas, jaa a few small touch ups here and there, but predominantly, its finished, and very usable.
Nico was very cool in giving me the cubby cover, which has helped to finish the front off perfectly. I need to do some paint touch ups here and there, and also have a camp out soon, to see how things work, and what does, or what doesn't work.

I'm pleased with the finish. it was never going to be a "concours" type build like I did the Speedy, but more a usable van, especially one to handle water-type sports, as we both enjoy Kneeboarding and boogie boarding, and Dee also stand up paddling, so, we need to be able to move in and out the van and not worry about a bit of water or sand here and there, that's why I didn't do any carpeting , it's all plastic, or vinyl or rubber, easy to keep clean, and very functional.

Jaa, looking forward to meeting a few other Bus owners this Saturday as we're going up the Whales and Wheels Festival in Hermanus, and then staying in Onrus Sat night with Donovan and Branden. So some pics will be come of this weekend for sure.
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Re: '74 Devon Bay Camper - Winston

Post by acpaterson »

Oooookkkkk...

So had a good first Camp out with Donovan Daws and Branden after the Whales and Wheels event. So tonight's the first night in a while after work, where I haven't HAD to do anything major. Following on from another post re: the Scraper, I decided tonight I'd "quickly" do the one door.. I didn't take Pics Jolas my apologies, but it's pretty much a step by step process as shown in those other links Muderick posted.

My process.
Stripped off door panels, loosened window and dropped into door
Removed inner scraper with flat screw driver
pulled out old window rubber
pulled out window rubber catches (5 of them)
Loosened quarter window and "wiggled out (on the inside of the door..)
Finally pulled out old beading and outer scraper using flat screw driver
total time, approx 20 minutes

Installation
Inner scraper first, from outside of door. (wire catches quite hard to press in)
Glued in channel rubber in quarter window channel
Put in quarter window and left loose
Put in outer scraper\beading, pressing scraper pins in with large flat screw driver
positioned beading over and under quarter window, and then put quarter window back in proper position (not bolted in tho)
Push and slide in 5 new rubber clips. (Side of door needing a hole drilled or pressed through inside of beading back piece. simple enough
Slide catches so clips go through door holes and are tight
Press in window rubber, starting at top of quarter window and working round (make sure excess is pushed down into door cavity by pin lock
Fiddle with, and get window to sit inside channel rubber
tighten up window onto winder mechanism, wind up window into channel rubber all the way round frame, then tighten up quarter window bolt
window down and up and make sure window slides straight and true, then tighten on window winder mechanism
Done
Total time taken - approx 60 to 90 minutes

Once done, rubber sits snugly against window all the way round, and when closing the door, there's a solid, definite "thunk". good job done.
Driver door tomorrow or later in the week.
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Muderick
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 65T2 66T1 72T2 73T2

Post by Muderick »