'74 Devon Bay Camper - Winston

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
AlanH
Crankshaft
What model do you have?: '70 Westy
Germany

Re: '74 Devon Bay Camper - Winston

Post by AlanH »

Very cool, hope to be there soon.

Wanted parts:
Left sunvisor
Sink faucet
Exhaust to swap for Beetle exhaust
acpaterson
Carburettor
What model do you have?: Winston, a 74 Bay
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Al, it'll certainly get there.. I didn't want to jump in and comment on all the naysayers relating to Electronic points etc, but I'm VERY pleased with mine. I'd seriously suggest get rid of yours and replace with genuine webers, and then progress from there Alan.. Good luck man.

Alan
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

So, some updates since last posting, I think Karma was listening to me because it wasn't long after I posted about electronic points, and the thing started to break down on me. I started to tinker with the carbs, getting them to open completely, and as such, started pushing the Bus performance wise. At 4 000 rpm's, I noticed the Rev Counter needle started jumping and bouncing, and foot on the floor, I could feel a small "stumble." In my attempts to fix this, I ordered a couple of larger jets and emulsion tubes from the UK. They arrived a couple of days later, and I whipped off the Carbs and fitted the newer, LARGE jets.

Result, up and go, but same tach result and hesitation.. I thought initially this was a jet or possible air leak, but the needle jumping made me go electric, and after a few emails with Mr Z, I decided to whip the Accuspark unit out and fit stock points and Condenser. Set gap and fired him up, off we went for a test, and the needle flowed right past 4000 rpm and upward, and there was no more jerkiness. SUCCESS.. Well, although I did praise the performance of the accuspark product, it really had performed well for a year, but it was breaking down at higher revs.. Spark Scatter I believe.

So, after a very thirsty tank of fuel, I pulled the carbs, and have gone back down to almost original setup jets wise. Going to run a few tanks and see if the mileage goes back to normal, at least north of 450 plus km's to a tank.

Together with this, I fitted another remote camera in the Engine Bay with a light, which allows me to see if there are any issues on my screen while driving, you can never be too careful. Also upgraded the rearview camera, so now have distance measurements as well.

Also doing some much needed upgrades to the electrics and appliances. Going to try very hard to convert my little fridge to a 12 volt compressor, this way I avoid a cupboard rebuild, so am waiting for some pricing. Plan B is to rebuild the main side cupboard fitting a 12 volt fridge in the top of the cupboard space, and slightly re-designing the drawer setup.

More to follow in a few days time.

Alan
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

So, another project I wanted done was to convert my existing fridge from a 220V to a dedicated 12 V unit. Found a guy near Malmesbury that converted the compressor perfectly, and now it's running off the Leisure battery perfectly. also has a 220V power supply for those times when we do go into a camp that has Shore Power. So for now, all good. Also fitted dual Voltmeters so i can monitor voltage on each system.

here, after 3 hours, Fridge down to 12 degrees, voltage still good. Pic during installation showing small compressor and a PC power supply.

Dawie
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: Aircooled, various
South Africa

Post by Dawie »

Interesting. What was the price of the 12V compressor?
Staying Aircooled is so much nicer.
Do'nt assume anything- (While doing fault-finding).
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Hi dawie,

I dropped the fridge with him and collected it 4 days later, it cost R 2 950-00 for all the work done, new compressor, gas, 220V PC Power supply, and the external LCD sensor display.. I think that is AWESOME service.
His details for anyone wanting something similar done, or to get their existing fridge repaird etc.

Robin MacNair 083 629 2511, or email. robin@bigambitions.co.za

Cheers

Alan
freddiebooysen
Crankshaft
What model do you have?: 1972

Post by freddiebooysen »

Nice additions done there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Hi guys,

I'm blown away, the last post here was 2 YEARS ago.. Was reading up on various threads with guys having so many problems with Engines, and brakes etc.. I must say I do feel for you guys. Considering I got my Andreno Built motor fitted in December 2016, and since then, I've only had to do one re-service and timing check when I pulled out the Electronic Points and re-fitted standard points.
My bus sometimes stands under the Caravan Cover for 2 months, and then we'll have a good weekend and I'll take him out for a spin. battery always has charge, usually fires up after a about 5 to 10 seconds, rev once or twice, and that's that, he idles along perfectly.

Really happy with how well he runs, and no problems to report at all otherwise. Heading up to Langebaan this Friday for a 2 night camp with Branden and his family. will get some new photos taken, do some Supping, and just relax from the rat race for a change.

Those of you hitting up to George, ride safe, have a problem-free journey, and hopefully see you guys soon for another Cape Town get-together.

cheers guys

regards
Al, Dee and Winston the Kombi
http://www.paterson.co.za/kombi.htm

acpaterson
Carburettor
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Wow.
So today, I took Winston back to his "Doctor" to do a decent engine cleanup\fixup and service at Andreno motors. Its been almost 5 years to the day I got Winston's new motor from Arno.
Was an awesome drive to Franchoek this morning, measured 32 degree's at 10:00 am.. Had brekkie in Franchoek, and then trundled up and over the pass. Such an awesome sight to see a full theewaterskloof.

in 5 years, Winston's done 12 000 km's, and had 3 full services. Pretty much solid as can be.

Arno was telling me how bad the spares pricing has got, where there's apparently only two International courier services flying, the pricing went from 20 pounds to 130 pounds, overnite.. So, spares pricing is not in a good place right now.

Anyway, will leave him with Arno for a week or until he's all done. And go collect him..

need to do some camping trips this year in possible.

Al