Slow restoration

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
AlanH
Crankshaft
What model do you have?: '70 Westy
Germany

Slow restoration

Post by AlanH »

Morning all,
I bought a '59/'60 Beetle which I thought was in decent condition. Motor turns, wheels turn...
Now, I want to slowly restore it but where doe I start and what do you recommend.
The brakes are non existent as is the battery (6V) My thinking was to get it moving I need a battery and do the brakes.
Not sure what is required for the brakes but expect to replace the whole lot due to pitting that has probably ruined the slaves. Pipes are probably also blocked.
Then before starting I was thinking to change the oil and clean the filter/screen.

Once it is running I can move it about and start with other required maintenance. I would require a new roof lining upholstery and window/door rubbers. Can one still get originals or at least good period looking replacements?

Unfortunately, there has been some respray on the Beetle so in terms of leaving it original my hopes were dashed there and I will look at respraying it at a much later stage.

Comments and recommendations ?

Oh, and I would also replace the tyres since I don't want a blowout on these ancient ones.
Beetle left.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wanted parts:
Left sunvisor
Sink faucet
Exhaust to swap for Beetle exhaust
fig
Bus Driver
What model do you have?: Type 2
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/258896479219/
South Africa

Re: Slow restoration

Post by fig »

Sweet Beetle Alan, congratulations.

I think your approach is spot on. Get it running and stopping first, then you can enjoy driving it while you do a rolling restoration.

The brakes are very simple and all parts are easily available. Drums shouldn't need more than a skim and refaced brake shoes. Master and wheel cylinders are cheap (speak to calooker on these forums for these and other parts). You should also replace the brake flex hoses as those are likely blocked and will cause binding. Norbrake or similar can make them up for you. Steel brake lines shouldn't be an issue unless they are rusted through, which I doubt on a dry inland car like yours.

Stock 165x15 tyres are still available in several brands, but a bit pricey (though nothing like the cost of G-wagen tyres!). It's worth looking at all the available ones, because some of them seem bigger than original 165s. Of course, original spec tyres on this car were 5.60x15 cross plies. Coker Tire still makes these in white wall (available from Jeppe Tyre) but those will be quite $pendy. Radials are better if you want to drive the car regularly.

Original headliner on your car is NLA, so your best bet will be to use old-style perforated vinyl, which will go with the vinyl edges that you probably won't need to replace.

Air filter is an oil bath type, so all it needs is to be cleaned with solvent, rinsed dried and refilled with engine oil.

6V batteries can be hard to find and they've become quite pricey. You can buy a 6V gel battery from a company called Press Dynamik in Wynberg, Jhb, which will not die on you the first time it goes flat, like most of the regular 6V batteries.

If the engine turns and has compression then it will start once you've added fresh fuel, checked points gap, set timing, fitted new plugs and done the valve clearances. Then you can see if it needs to be rebuilt. Check crankshaft end float by pulling back and forth on the crank pulley; if you can feel play then the engine is due for a rebuild and line bore. It's also worth pulling the engine and stripping the cooling tins to make sure they're not harbouring rat nests, and clean all the old oil and gunk off the engine; it will run cooler.

1200 engine parts are hard to find, but not impossible. If you need new pistons and cylinders you could also fit 1300 ones if you can find them.
fig
Kaapse Kombi Kult

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford
AlanH
Crankshaft
Germany

Post by AlanH »

Thanks Fig,

Good to hear I'm on the right path. Now I need to complete my other projects to get some time on the Beetle. Will try get some spares in the mean time. Thanks for the leads on where to get what, that will help a lot.

Alan
Wanted parts:
Left sunvisor
Sink faucet
AlanH
Crankshaft
Germany

Post by AlanH »

Wow, never posted a follow up and now nearly three years later the Beetle is registered/roadworthy (as a 1960 model NO rebuild) and ready to roll.
I opted against a respray keeping it as is. I will just polish her up nicely.
I redid the complete brake system and after the original battery gave up the ghost completely replaced that with a brand new Varta 6V. Lots of new rubbers, Pedal assembly reconditioned, new tyres, resprayed the rims, repaired door cards, window channels redone ...

Was busy the weekend sorting out the choke cable which was stuck and a sloppy indicator stalk that bugged me.
I also imported a set of window rubbers which I now think are the wrong ones and actually for an Oval. How I got that set is beyond me. I will put these up for sale as I can't do anything with them. Also they are the California look without the "chrome" beading which my Beetle has.
Will post pictures as soon as I get them.
Last edited by AlanH on Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wanted parts:
Left sunvisor
Sink faucet
AlanH
Crankshaft
Germany

Post by AlanH »

Just picked up this post is under the Advice heading,
Could the mods please move it to the Projects section please.

Tx.
Wanted parts:
Left sunvisor
Sink faucet
Riaan.N
Oil Seal
What model do you have?: 1975 1600 TP Beetle
South Africa

Post by Riaan.N »

Nice beetle Alan!
Where is ON? I know OM is Kroonstad.

Can you post some more photos?
AlanH
Crankshaft
Germany

Post by AlanH »

:wink: It was OM...
Wanted parts:
Left sunvisor
Sink faucet
Riaan.N
Oil Seal
What model do you have?: 1975 1600 TP Beetle
South Africa

Post by Riaan.N »

AlanH wrote::wink: It was OM...
Aah ok, looked like a NImage.... I was in high school in KroonstadImage
AlanH
Crankshaft
Germany

Post by AlanH »

Here a picture of the number of the kit I got.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wanted parts:
Left sunvisor
Sink faucet