'70 Westfalia Project

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
AlanH
Crankshaft
What model do you have?: '70 Westy
Germany

Re: '70 Westfalia Project

Post by AlanH »

All done, papers are inand by next week she should be registered in my name.
Now the big work can begin.

Wanted parts:
Left sunvisor
Sink faucet
Exhaust to swap for Beetle exhaust
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Awesome, well done!
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

:party:

That is magic news, so soon we will be getting trip reports with lots of Photo's

Can not wait......

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
AlanH
Crankshaft
Germany

Post by AlanH »

Got a good half a days work in on the Westy today after doing some other high priority jobs.
I removed the rock n roll bed and all cupboards to get to the body for proper cleaning and repainting later.
IMAG0902.jpg
IMAG0903.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wanted parts:
Left sunvisor
Sink faucet
AlanH
Crankshaft
Germany

Post by AlanH »

IMAG0915.jpg
IMAG0916.jpg
Started cleaning out the inside. Someone sprayed expanding foam into the panels and left the glass matt in there as well. :evil: That is some wicked stuff to work with. Must wear breathing mask and best to also wear closed glasses. I'm sure it is very detrimental to your health. Anyway after getting most of it out with a drilling machine and wire brush I vacuumed the lot and she now looks a lot happier.
At the same time I also brushed down all the rusty bits which can now be treated. Surprisingly little rust, thank goodness.

Now I need to get that dried up old contact adhesive off. They carpeted the whole Kombi and actually glued in all the carpets. :evil: :evil:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wanted parts:
Left sunvisor
Sink faucet
AlanH
Crankshaft
Germany

Post by AlanH »

Yesterday I cut new panels from marine ply. Hope they will look as good as original.
Today I painted a piece of tin that was covered with carpet glued on with Bostic which has gone old and is hard. Got the tip from a panelbeater so I thought I'd try it. It works very well. Left it for the day and when I tried removing it came of very easy and seems like fresh bostic except it doesn't stick.
Now I will give all the places I find Bostic a coat of petrol and hopefully it all comes off just as easy. really happy about that.

Also started looking at fixing the back side cupboard. The bottom shelf is warped and has seen better days. (Rat piss). Defiantely will be replacing that one. Also noticed the middle shelf seen non original. Can anyone post a picture of the rear cupboard with opened door please so I can replace the original. Many thanks.
Wanted parts:
Left sunvisor
Sink faucet
AlanH
Crankshaft
Germany

Post by AlanH »

While everyone is on holiday I am spending some time on the Westy.
Eventually got the console out and removed the angle iron to be able to fit the spare under the seat again.

cleaned more pattex off and also removed the pop up and tent . Still quite some more to be removed.

If anyone can add pictures on how it should look please post here. I'm thinking of seat rails, Hinges, Backrest stops...

Anything that can help.
Wanted parts:
Left sunvisor
Sink faucet
AlanH
Crankshaft
Germany

Post by AlanH »

Haven't updated here for a while but I have been very busy finding parts.
I have also ordered parts from all over and they are slowly coming in.
There are some parts I still need but time will get them to me.
Let me list some:
1) Air filter for 1600
2) Moustache bar
3) 1600 TP engine

In the mean time I have also stripped the bus quit a bit and started fixing the roof section. First fixing all the wodden supports, cracks and holes that were in there then giving it a primer filler, sanding down again and now the one section got it's first coat of paint. Will need to sand it again and then the final coat can go on . The front roof section is then complete except for the scissor hinge that is busy getting a makeover as well. The rear just has to be sanded down and then painted. Once that is done the ally tubes can go back on.
Wanted parts:
Left sunvisor
Sink faucet
AlanH
Crankshaft
Germany

Post by AlanH »

So yesterday I received all my rims back.
Thats for the '60 Beetle and Westy.
All sandblasted, an electro coated ready for painting.
Then tyres on so the vehicles can be mobile again.
Wanted parts:
Left sunvisor
Sink faucet
jolas
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: '65 Kombi

Post by jolas »

good progress now, keep it up !!!
by fig » Mar 26, 2018
Sambas in South Africa are good for only 2 things: showing off and sunburn.
AlanH
Crankshaft
Germany

Post by AlanH »

Progress is slow but today I ordered the paint so I can spray the rims for the Beetle and Westy.
Managed to eventually figure out what paint I require for the Rims and bumpers. Turns out there was a patch under the rubber that was still untouched. So, unless it's not the original bumper, it is Pastel White code L90D compared with a Standox Paint colour chart.
Also got the Kalahari Beige for the Beetle rims for a start until I find out that the dish colour should be.

Photo shows bumper corner against polystyrene sheet.
Wanted parts:
Left sunvisor
Sink faucet
AlanH
Crankshaft
Germany

Post by AlanH »

Ouch, time flies. I't been a year since I updated this thread but luckily I have been busy. Not as much as I would like but mostly gathering parts and doing small things that will be ticked off the list later. So last week I was again surfing on the samba and got some inspiration. So while my higher priority projects were at an up to date status I took the gap to do something I wanted to do a very long time ago. So yesterday I climbed in and got some action.
Firstly drove the Westy to the hoist and lifted her up to have a good inspection of the tasks ahead. After my plan was in place I draine the coolant and started loosening all engine attached parts that would prevent me from pulling the engine. About half an hour later the Japanese powerplant was out. BTW. this was a really s...t conversion done by a backyard mechanic. The more I stripped out the happier I got.

This was so quick that I decided while I'm on a roll I would continue. So the radiator was removed as were the pipes.

Before the pipes could be removed I had to remove the belly tins. They don't seem to be original as there were 6 of them all riveted in place.
After removing the first one a potato bag full of river sand dropped out. :shock:

When removing the remaining tins more bags dropped out with a stinking Rats nest and a mummified rat. Glad I had to remove the tins. :lol: In the end it turned out I had a wheelbarrow full of river sand for my next building project.

Once that was out I was irritated by the shoddy wiring so I removed the entire wiring harness. So now looking for tips on where to get a decent wiring loom complete with factory colors.

Once that was out the way I tested my old replacement floor panel insert that I had sandblasted. It will be a good fit and close the hole nicely.
The front inner valence however puzzles me a bit. It seems it was reduced in size for later buses. Anyone that can shed some light please Also if anyone has something similar available from a scrappy that is still usable to patch in please.

Also in the past year I have built up seat frames and bought new horsehair pads. Now all I need are quality covers and the correct color. If anyone can assist again I would be grateful. Picture shows my door card with patches from seats I cannibalized to fix my set.

So now on to some pictures as proof.
Hmm, seems I can only add one picture at a time unless I don't understand the adding of attachments.
Wanted parts:
Left sunvisor
Sink faucet
AlanH
Crankshaft
Germany

Post by AlanH »

Toyota3YOut2.jpg
Motor out.
Wanted parts:
Left sunvisor
Sink faucet
AlanH
Crankshaft
Germany

Post by AlanH »

Pipes removal
Wanted parts:
Left sunvisor
Sink faucet
AlanH
Crankshaft
Germany

Post by AlanH »

Sand bags
Wanted parts:
Left sunvisor
Sink faucet