1978 Baywindow Project (Picture heavy)

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
brucet
Oil Seal
What model do you have?: '78 2.0 Executive

1978 Baywindow Project (Picture heavy)

Post by brucet »

So we finally bought a bus. A few weeks ago I posted in the general section that I was looking for a bus. First prize would have been a 1972 model.
Then a Johann, (baywindow75) messaged me to say he was considering selling his 78 executive. I had so many questions and fortunately Johann was very patient. He was in the process of purchasing another vehicle from a gent in Pretoria(i think its called a fastback), so I offered to tow it to Nelspruit for him as I would bring a trailer to look at his Kombi anyway.

Anyway, I arrived in Nelspruit and Johann's superior sales skills and a discounted offer for towing his fastback to Nelspruit for him, convinced me to purchase the bus at a fair price. Finally we had a bus.

I towed it back to JHB with it staring at me in my rear-view mirror wondering if I had done the right thing as I really didnt know what I was doing. Race cars, and modern cars no problem but a vintage aircooled bus was a far cry from what I was used to. But Johann is a good guy and I trusted him so I was happy with the purchase.

So my first step was to get all the rust sorted out as soon as possible, so the bus was booked into the panel beaters the following week which is where it stands now. Unfortunately the rust is far worse than we expected and both far rear window's interior beams, the engine lid below the rear door and under the windscreen have rusted very badly and need to be repaired. So a 2 week job has now turned into a 3 week job and they are not even close to finishing........we are now at double the initial budget already and have a ton of work still left to do but we are still excited and happy to have a bus.......

So this is the story and I would appreciate any advice if you see me doing something wrong or incorrectly.....

Collecting in Nelspruit

Such a beautiful part of the country so I coulnt help stoping and admiring the view especially with the bus in it. :)

First Car wash

brucet
Oil Seal

Re: 1978 Baywindow Project (Picture heavy)

Post by brucet »

The first drive :

https://www.facebook.com/bruce.turner.3 ... 940876487/

Then we decided to start the strip down so we could do the body work. Look at the rust below the rear windows especially on the inside:

We are currently fixing all the rust (well the panel shop is)

One side done.

brucet
Oil Seal

Post by brucet »

After some advice from the forum I decided to bite the bullet and order all the window rubbers, door rubbers (except the cab door rubbers as I need to see if I should buy the entire kit or not), number plate light, new antenna and other bits and pieces from the UK which worked out at almost half at what I could source locally and I am getting the German rubbers which apparently are the ones to get.....hopefully.

We still not 100% sure of what our end goal is as right now so we want to get everything back to 100% condition or as close as possible (body, interior and mechanical) then we will decide.
acpaterson
Carburettor
What model do you have?: Winston, a 74 Bay
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Yep, just obviously be prepared to pay customs and vat etc, but it's well worth it to get the right stuff. the return is they should look after you for many many years. Keep up the enthuiasm Bruce.

Regards
Alan
Cyndi Kritzinger
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: '76 BRAZILIA '78 BAY
Facebook: yes

Post by Cyndi Kritzinger »

THAT'S A VERY NEAT LOOKING BUS.
bugspray
Floorpan
What model do you have?: 71 Westy + 74beetle
Facebook: http://m.facebook.com/profile.php?r0d306f00&refid=7
South Africa

Post by bugspray »

If. I could ask, what was the cost of the rubbers landed in Sa?
More than meets the eye!
brucet
Oil Seal

Post by brucet »

Thank you Cyndi (its the best colour combination dont you agree :D ) and acpaterson

Bugspray i ordered a bunch of stuff including rubbers so not 100% accurate but they were around R3500 (for all windows, sliding door, rear engine lid and door, door handle rubbers, some rubber elbows for the intake. I think thats all)

So for example all the German windows seals cost me R1629.11 but locally for the same 6 windows I was quoted R2680.00 (not for the recommended German rubbers)
A sliding door seal imported (german) cost me R892.50, and locally i was quoted R1150 (not german) and R2100 for German.

So for, all the items i was quoted locally was a little over R11k (and some of the items were not German rubbers for example). For the same items imported from UK including transport and excluding vat cost me just over R5500. So call it R8k with VAT and import duties more or less. I will however support the local guys for most of the one off type things as I think the savings will be a lot smaller.
brucet
Oil Seal

Post by brucet »

So we are progressing slowly. We have found the rust to be really bad under the rear side windows.....a little scary to be honest. It will be cut out and replaced with fresh steel. Battery tray is also completely rusted through but fortunately I have ordered a replacement tray.

Horrible very bad rust which was hidden behind the interior lining (similar to the roof lining) Glad we found it and are fixing it now:

The rest is pretty much surface rust but the bus was definitely a cream colour in the past.

Cream paint showing through. So the bus will never be restored back to 100% original as we wanted a blue and white bus. So maybe a shame but we did not buy it for an investment or to make money back on it or anything like that. It was bought for the family to enjoy.

brucet
Oil Seal

Post by brucet »

I am starting to look for products to coat the chassis and in all the nooks and crannies to prevent rust. Being based in Gauteng there doesnt seem to be too many options available.

What would you recommend and where can I get it? I dont mind DIY and have spray equipment.

Thank you.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

hammerite DTM if the budget allows
brucet
Oil Seal

Post by brucet »

Thank you Tony Z - Is this what you mean?
http://www.duluxtrade.co.za/products/hammerite
brucet
Oil Seal

Post by brucet »

Ok ignore previous question. I have it. Thank you

http://www.duram.co.za/products/duram-dtm/
Donovan D
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 67 Panel
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=536371512
South Africa

Post by Donovan D »

I have used Hammerite Direct to rust quite a few times and very happy with the results.
---------- 67 Panelvan -----------
---------- 56 Oval ----------
brucet
Oil Seal

Post by brucet »

Thank you. Will definitely get some of that.

Some more progress on the old girl who has so much rust on her. In some places we have had to take it right down to the bare metal. Im still nervous about where panels need to be cut out and replaced but she is in good hands.

Passenger side almost done. Then the nose and roof oh and replacing the inside rusted panels and then we can spray. Parts should also start arriving this week.

Maybe its a bit backward but I will be restoring the inside of the bus with my daughters. There is some surface rust on the inside but nothing too major.

Does anyone in the JHB (near Randpark Ridge) area have an original mat from the cab that I could use to trace out its shape? Or alternately is there anyone locally that sells them?
brucet
Oil Seal

Post by brucet »

Some more rust but fortunately not so bad.....