Fuel injection rebuild

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
Simmy
Oil Pump
What model do you have?: 1978 Beetle
South Africa

Re: Fuel injection rebuild

Post by Simmy »

I reread that post - Definitely wasn't thinking when I calculated the CR the first time :oops:

I also assumed that the counterweighting and unitech rods would allow me to run it tighter than would be feasible with stock internals. But I appreciate what you are saying.
Seems that I would need to fly cut the heads to about 50cc to get the static CR back to within the 8.5 target range. That said, the target is based on what I perceive to be the norm for this type of engine. I will see if I can figure out what the dynamic CR would be and then see what it comes out to with 4-5psi of boost... that should help me figure out where I actually want to land up.

(also... no step on the heads, which I accounted for in the calculation)

Wentzel
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: T1 1977,76

Post by Wentzel »

There are a lot of opinions about cr and turbo if you search. Some say higher compression and lower boost, others say lower compression and higher boost. That is up to you to dicide and will affect the engine when off boost.

My current engine is around 7.9:1 cr and the new engine comes very close to that also.

I also want to say that you will not stay at 4-5 psi once you start....
Oxyboxer Project

Never Ending Beetle Project viewtopic.php?f=23&t=35724
Lolette Spyder Project http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 23&t=32175
Simmy
Oil Pump
South Africa

Post by Simmy »

So I have seen. From what I can tell, I like the idea of High CR, and low boost because it should be a little more street-driveable and have less lag. THat said, I have zero tuning knowledge, so when they say it is more difficult to tune, I have no idea how much more difficult and how easy it is to screw it up. I also dont know how long I will run it NA, so I wanted to go higher to get as much performance out of it as possible, but at some point I will need to make a decision and stop compromising.

But thanks for giving me a reference point for your engine. At least that is something to go on.

And yes... the phrase "MORE BOOST" seems to come up a lot...
Simmy
Oil Pump
South Africa

Post by Simmy »

Quick question, hoping that people might still be reading this!

Bearings and suppliers... Crank is back - ground 20thou undersize and going into a new case (pics will eventually be posted). So far havent found anything worth looking at (one supplier only has Smagon (???) and Volkspares doesnt keep this configuration). I was hoping someone might have some input as to what is available locally, and what they would consider to be good quality bearings (steel backed? inner or outer oil groove?)?
From what I can tell, Glyco, KS, Mahle & Silverline are all good options, but the internet is always full of opinions...
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 2.3L 69; 1302; P/Van
Location: Klipheuwel (near Durbanville), Cape Town or working at sea
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

its a debate that I havent yet come to a final conclusion on.
Yes, I'd choose KS, Mahle and silverline over Smagon, but I've got a couple of engines running around (one is a stroker) with smagons that hasnt had a problem.
The internet talks about using steel backed bearings always. Yet, VW only spec'd steel backed bearings for cars going to arctic climates, the rest of their engines were made with aly. I can only think that this was to keep the mains from seizing due to contraction when the temps dropped. But when the case warms up, it'll loose the press on the steel backed bearings and they'll be more liable to wiggle.
I'm running steel backed in both my big T1 engines at the moment
Simmy
Oil Pump
South Africa

Post by Simmy »

Makes sense. I would hazard a guess that the care of assembly probably matters more than the bearings themselves anyway.
I will see what i can find, but I suspect its going to be an import. They dont appear to be much more expensive, assuming the shipping estimates are correct.

[can you believe that Volkspares wanted me to regrind the crank again to get it to fit the bearings they have in stock?!]
Wentzel
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: T1 1977,76

Post by Wentzel »

Look around and ask around someone somewhere must have what you are looking for. Worst case would be to import the size you need.

Maybe someone reading this can also help. I have bought from all over and a few guys from the forum assisted with buying what I could not find and mailing it to me.

I would not grind a crank to fit what a shop has that doesn't make sense.

Oxyboxer Project

Never Ending Beetle Project viewtopic.php?f=23&t=35724
Lolette Spyder Project http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopi ... 23&t=32175
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

Simmy wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:52 pm [can you believe that Volkspares wanted me to regrind the crank again to get it to fit the bearings they have in stock?!]
I've also been told this before. So I imported... mine was std crank, 60thou case, which I can understand to be a difficult size, but yours isnt too odd
Shipping estimates are usually close, but its the import duties and local additional costs that you never budget for.
Edmond
Valve
What model do you have?: 1973 Baja Bug

Post by Edmond »

I ran a set of smagon bearings in my bajas engine for 140 000 km they had very little wear when I stripped it down. Rebuilt the engine and used a set of J S Bronzias bearings I got from masterparts they are all aluminium with the centre main having an internal groove. I have used metal leve bearings in the past but these don't seem to be freely available any more. You might be able to get a set of KS or Mahle bearings from Alert engine parts. Masterparts here in CT only seem to stock smagon and JS bronzias main bearings they used to stock metal leve/mahle bearings.
Riaan.N
Oil Seal
What model do you have?: 1975 1600 TP Beetle
South Africa

Post by Riaan.N »

There is another thread here where a place in Jhb was named that stocks bearings, maybe try them.
viewtopic.php?t=37898
Simmy
Oil Pump
South Africa

Post by Simmy »

Thanks for the input folks. Incidentally, the Swag and Tail place I was referred to was the place that offered me the Smagon bearings. And since I cannot really find much evidence as to how reliable these parts are, I will opt not to use them. Rather the devil you know, than the devil you don't.

@Edmond: Good point on the Alert spares - I will give them a call on the way home from work.

@Tony: I never know if the taxes are inclusive of the shipping, but it sounds like its a no. In which case, throwing on 20% for import duties and another 15% VAT will definitely make them less affordable than I assumed.

Its staggering how these costs just keep on coming up... Checked the clutch disc, and it too is on the marginal side, so I seem to need to add that to the shopping list too *sigh*
Good thing the project is taking so long... cashflow can keep up that way.
Tony Z
Donor
Donor
South Africa

Post by Tony Z »

sometimes you pay imports and VAT. sometimes you pay neither. Sometimes VAT is included in the imports. Sometimes some parts are charged both and others arent...
I just budget on 35% for everything so that I dont end up losing. Occasionally I score, most times I dont.

I've got a used AC.net copperhead dual friction clutch if you are interested.
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

JUST REMEMBER Guys, get the supplier to mark the parcel Vintage car spare parts and not "VW parts", as the Govn. has an agreement with vw, to impose an high import tax on vw parts.

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Simmy
Oil Pump
South Africa

Post by Simmy »

Tony, I think you are just using me to clear up space on your shelves for another project!

I will PM you for details ;D

Thanks for the hint Herman. If it gets there, I will be sure to remember that.
Looks like Alert has Mahle and AE stock for the mains and big ends respectively. The cam bearings from Volkspares weren't badly priced, if memory serves.
Dawie
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: Aircooled, various
South Africa

Post by Dawie »

It was also advised somewhere to rather mark as "engine parts" instead of "car parts".

Mention was made that it then fits a different Sars category, (as "engine parts" could also be non-automotive like boats, generators, aeroplanes, etc.)
Not sure if this still applies.
Staying Aircooled is so much nicer.
Do'nt assume anything- (While doing fault-finding).