Converting Late bay into camper

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
brucet
Oil Seal
What model do you have?: '78 2.0 Executive

Converting Late bay into camper

Post by brucet »

OK I am now considering converting my late baywindow into a camper which I said I would never do as we have the 4x4 and all the camping stuff we need but I actually love traveling in the old girl so have changed my mind a little.

Where do I start and what do you suggest? Ultimately I would like to find a Westfalia.

Thank you

Jdt1976
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 1952 beetle

Re: Converting Late bay into camper

Post by Jdt1976 »

I would look for a Westfalia. If you were willing to change your bay to a camper you can even look for a Westy without the interior and do the inside like you want. Then another option is an Autovilla thats even bigger inside.
The bay would be able to go more offroad terrain than the Autovilla.
I seen a westy that they closed the roof with metal and no interior where your bus got painted. Think they wanted R35k for it. Not great condition.
brucet
Oil Seal

Post by brucet »

Is that the green one? Yes I've seen it. Bit expensive for what it is
Jdt1976
Donor
Donor

Post by Jdt1976 »

No, there is a westy but the condition was not good.
jolas
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: '65 Kombi

Post by jolas »

I can't remember what year your bus is. The '79 model (I think), has the rear seat that collapses into a bed. Perhaps look for one of these for now. (I wonder if a T3 bus seat would also fit in a late bay ?) Perhaps in the meantime, just do a few basics, without stripping the interior completely, eg curtains, crates for storage (they work quite well), extra 12v plug, roofrack, etc, etc.
The middle seat can just be removed and replaced as and when. Or knock up a quick unit that serves as the second half of your bed, storage underneath, but then no seatbelts for rear passengers ....
Both the Westys and Autovillas have their advantages and disadvantages. But both are lekker for camping - especially the Autovilla with the stove and fridge and bigger sense of space. But honestly, you can do a lot with a bus with the seats removed while you decide what to do next :)
by fig » Mar 26, 2018
Sambas in South Africa are good for only 2 things: showing off and sunburn.
acpaterson
Carburettor
What model do you have?: Winston, a 74 Bay
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Bruce if you're wanting to camp, then you have to look for a Devon or a Westy. The roof lifting is important in the comfort side of the build, even if you go original or your own theme. Take your time and rather try find a proper roof bus and go from there.

Alan
Terry Phillips
Fuel Injection
What model do you have?: T3,1beetle
Zambia

Post by Terry Phillips »

I splashed out and bought all the machinery, wood and fitting to do my lowlight which I should start soon,I am no carpenter but I made sure I dont run out of wood so I bought double because some times the tape measure seems to lie.Good luck Bruce I have the CI camper as well and that is my go any where camper if you need some ideas.
brucet
Oil Seal

Post by brucet »

Thank you for the replies.

I think the ultimate would be to find a Westy. Perhaps that's the route I should aim at.

To many wants and too little money 😂
sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Post by sean »

The options and preferences are endless. All have the benefits and downfalls.

This is my opinion, based on my Westy's, autovillas, high roof busses and homemade campers.

Autovilla is by far the most spacious and comfortable to sleep in. You can cook, stand and sleep 4 people with plenty cupboard space to spare inside. It's great for your average camp spots but don't venture too far off the beaten track. If you not into rough roads and adventures, autovilla is perfect. It's obviously not ideal for daily driving as it's quite big and can't fit into guarages or narrow spots.

Westy, in my opinion a rubbish cupboard layout and bed that is too small. They have their appeal, but that pop up roof is useless with that hammock. No big person can sleep in there and it really doesn't help much as all you can do is stand in the opening, nothing more. The ice box and sink is also useless.

Bay bus with fiber glass high roof. Quite practical space wise as you have the high roof accross the full length of the bus. Plenty room for cupboard space up in the roof and able to leave open space down below for easy access and movement. High roof limiting at times for low parking areas.

Lastly, a standard bus converted to a camper of your personal style is still my absolute favorite. It is the most compact, but depends what you require to suite your camping needs. For me, a full size decent bed, a fridge, basic cupboard for camping goodies is perfect. The bus is also very practical for rough terrain like this. I can't imagine a better camper, I don't have to open a single tent, or hold up a tent pole, I can just stop wherever and camp with no complications. I camp every month, but only in a bus. When you used to these qualities, tents and trailers are just hideous.
spicydave
Oil Seal
What model do you have?: 1973
South Africa

Post by spicydave »

sean wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:17 pm The options and preferences are endless. All have the benefits and downfalls.

This is my opinion, based on my Westy's, autovillas, high roof busses and homemade campers.

Autovilla is by far the most spacious and comfortable to sleep in. You can cook, stand and sleep 4 people with plenty cupboard space to spare inside. It's great for your average camp spots but don't venture too far off the beaten track. If you not into rough roads and adventures, autovilla is perfect. It's obviously not ideal for daily driving as it's quite big and can't fit into guarages or narrow spots.

Westy, in my opinion a rubbish cupboard layout and bed that is too small. They have their appeal, but that pop up roof is useless with that hammock. No big person can sleep in there and it really doesn't help much as all you can do is stand in the opening, nothing more. The ice box and sink is also useless.

Bay bus with fiber glass high roof. Quite practical space wise as you have the high roof accross the full length of the bus. Plenty room for cupboard space up in the roof and able to leave open space down below for easy access and movement. High roof limiting at times for low parking areas.

Lastly, a standard bus converted to a camper of your personal style is still my absolute favorite. It is the most compact, but depends what you require to suite your camping needs. For me, a full size decent bed, a fridge, basic cupboard for camping goodies is perfect. The bus is also very practical for rough terrain like this. I can't imagine a better camper, I don't have to open a single tent, or hold up a tent pole, I can just stop wherever and camp with no complications. I camp every month, but only in a bus. When you used to these qualities, tents and trailers are just hideous.
Thanks Sean

You have just answered my question

My bay will become a camper
acpaterson
Carburettor
What model do you have?: Winston, a 74 Bay
South Africa

Post by acpaterson »

Bruce, something like this..
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36386
:hangloose:
brucet
Oil Seal

Post by brucet »

thats nice but a bit steep for highlight dont you think? It is something simple i would think about doing
Eugene
Carburettor
What model do you have?: 2 many 2 mention :-)
South Africa

Post by Eugene »

sean wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:17 pm
Autovilla is by far the most spacious and comfortable to sleep in. Agreed
You can cook, stand and sleep 4 people with plenty cupboard space to spare inside. That's the problem with you souties! You go camping but then you cook! Braai dammit...braai. I fail to see why you would want to sleep 4 unless that is your requirement. 2 adults and two kids are not 4 :twisted:
It's great for your average camp spots but don't venture too far off the beaten track. If you not into rough roads and adventures, autovilla is perfect. It's obviously not ideal for daily driving as it's quite big and can't fit into guarages or narrow spots. You fail to mention that they are outright dangerous to drive with the slightest of crosswinds.

Westy, in my opinion a rubbish cupboard layout and bed that is too small. They have their appeal, but that pop up roof is useless with that hammock. No big person can sleep in there and it really doesn't help much as all you can do is stand in the opening, nothing more. The ice box and sink is also useless. Horses for courses. Again, no big person would want to sleep in that hammock and it's not what it was designed for. Wait a few years and you'll see why you want to stand. That area is just perfect. Again, I would not "cook" inside my camper/caravan and would rather use a 12v camping fridge

Lastly, a standard bus converted to a camper of your personal style is still my absolute favorite. It is the most compact, but depends what you require to suite your camping needs. For me, a full size decent bed, a fridge, basic cupboard for camping goodies is perfect. The bus is also very practical for rough terrain like this. I can't imagine a better camper, I don't have to open a single tent, or hold up a tent pole, I can just stop wherever and camp with no complications. I camp every month, but only in a bus. When you used to these qualities, tents and trailers are just hideous. Agreed but this setup, with a pop-top(read Westy) is perfect. I hate dome tents and the likes because I cannot stand upright to get dressed. The tintop camper would fall in the same category, although I fully agree with the bed.
You can never have enough Garages :-(
jolas
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: '65 Kombi

Post by jolas »

Jy !

Just because you are lekker krom and elderly and need to stand up to get changed in a bus, does'nt mean we all need to do this. What is this business anyway that you must stand up inside dome tents and busses :zhelp:

Us "souties" really enjoy using the fine teacups and saucers provided by Jurgens, and the stove is perfect for baking biscuits to be nibbled on (Jaco you will need to be an Engelsman for a few minutes :lol: )

As for those crosswinds luv, thats why you always carry a bottle of Jack innit ????

:twisted:
by fig » Mar 26, 2018
Sambas in South Africa are good for only 2 things: showing off and sunburn.
Jdt1976
Donor
Donor

Post by Jdt1976 »

No wonder the souties take the dutchman with, to braai? Sies man!
And whats this story with no tents?