New to the forum

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
Kalin
Drip
What model do you have?: 1500

New to the forum

Post by Kalin »

Howsit Guys

I've got a 1500 single port beetle, bought it as a project car with my dad and started restoring it, it had been parked off for a good few years and I decided to revive the old girl. Cleaned out the carb, had some sediment from the old fuel jamming everything up, and cleaned out the fuel line and tank. Seems to be running fairly smooth with a slight miss every now n then.

Finding parts for my 1500 was a nightmare as I have a 30/31 PICT carb, which most guys dont stock, so I just opted with keeping my standard set up
I came across quite a few twin carb setups. Is there a considerable increase in performance with these setups? Because from the kits I've seen on eBay, they cost quite a lot, are there any easier ways of squeezing more power out of my engine?

Merlin
ACVWSA Junkie
What model do you have?:  Various

Re: New to the forum

Post by Merlin »

If your 1500 is still stock and healthy, I'd give some thought to modifying it. It's a superb motor and lovely to drive.

The performance increase with just twin carbs on a 1500 versus the cash layout, will leave you disappointed.
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, and oversteer, the rear.
Hp is how fast you hit the wall, and Torque is how far you take the wall with you."
sled wrote:well obviously the UK is wrong.
slak
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: Baja, Bay , Beetle
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/editprofile.php

Post by slak »

Power costs Money and lots of it depending on how far U would like to
venture into the Abyss of vehicle modification

If U are just looking for a good running car not too heavy on fuel , that can be done by simply getting someone that
knows aircooled vw engines to access your current engine check overall condition of it and sorting out all the problems
that can rob performance IF your engine is still in good condition and just gets the Love it needs
U will be surprised how well a 1500 actually runs also try putting a performance Exhaust on as i see U still have the STD one

The twin carb option is a good option But ask yourself the Question if these carbs are so good why did the seller take
them off his engine ? most of the carbs that have been on cars or were lying on a shelf for 10 years are not worth buying
as they are probably missing parts or whatever
i once bought 3 carbs to make one 34pict carb out of them as i did not
see the carbs only foto's but bought them anyway - Schoolfees Paid !!

so if U want to go with twin carbs new is the way to go , then because U have a single port engine U will have
less options maybe Weber ict's or Kadron Solex H40/44EIS that are both good carbs but secondhand i won't buy from just anyone
U Only Live Once Right !!!
Kalin
Drip
What model do you have?: 1500

Post by Kalin »

slak wrote:Power costs Money and lots of it depending on how far U would like to
venture into the Abyss of vehicle modification

If U are just looking for a good running car not too heavy on fuel , that can be done by simply getting someone that
knows aircooled vw engines to access your current engine check overall condition of it and sorting out all the problems
that can rob performance IF your engine is still in good condition and just gets the Love it needs
U will be surprised how well a 1500 actually runs also try putting a performance Exhaust on as i see U still have the STD one

The twin carb option is a good option But ask yourself the Question if these carbs are so good why did the seller take
them off his engine ? most of the carbs that have been on cars or were lying on a shelf for 10 years are not worth buying
as they are probably missing parts or whatever
i once bought 3 carbs to make one 34pict carb out of them as i did not
see the carbs only foto's but bought them anyway - Schoolfees Paid !!

so if U want to go with twin carbs new is the way to go , then because U have a single port engine U will have
less options maybe Weber ict's or Kadron Solex H40/44EIS that are both good carbs but secondhand i won't buy from just anyone
Any recommendations on a performance exhaust? Dual carbs looks pretty costly and im not sure if they get troublesome.

My engine may just need an overhaul, but a nice throaty exhaust note would be pretty good too

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk