My 1957 Karmann Ghia project

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
Jack Nel
Oil Stain
What model do you have?: 1976 T2 Baywindow
South Africa

My 1957 Karmann Ghia project

Post by Jack Nel »

This is what my Ghia looked like when I bought it and pretty much still looks the same...

Last edited by Jack Nel on Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jack Nel
Oil Stain
South Africa

Re: My 1957 Karmann Ghia project

Post by Jack Nel »

I’ve done lot’s of work in it, but nothing that you can really see....
On the electricals only the headlights was working, nothing else.
Got all lights including indicators, dome light, hooter and all instrument lights working, and tidied up the wiring. The aforementioned took lots of time...
Cleaned out fuel line and replaced filter.
Replaced shocks, tyres and battery.

Car is running fine, it has a 1500 type 34 Ghia motor in it and the generator was replaced with a 12v alternator.

From research and observations from members on this site it looks like the car was originally all black.

Some interesting things on my car...

Original interior covered up

Jack Nel
Oil Stain
South Africa

Post by Jack Nel »

Radio I got with the car

Tyres on the car from the 60’s/70’s

Original shocks was still on the car

fourier
Oil Cooler
What model do you have?: '59 Ghia, '77 Beetle
South Africa

Post by fourier »

Wow, how lucky can you get? First you find an early Ghia, then you find an original interior preserved under covers! What's next? A quick buff and polish, and you'll probably reveal perfect OG black paint? :)

Good going on getting the electrics working again. Did you get rid of the makeshift alternator in the process? Careful not to use too high wattage globes in the rear lights. I have seen too many of these tail light lenses molten after 12V conversions. The lense sits really close to the brake lamp, and the heat generated by a 21W globe will put a hole through the lens. I must look into finding dual filament (5/21W) LED lamps to avoid the heat.

On a sad note, it would appear that your car suffered the same fate as many of the early Ghias. Someone cut the rear valance to install a later model engine. 1960 and earlier Ghias that had the 36HP engine, had a 2cm wider valance than the post-'60 cars. A later engine would not fit into the engine compartment of an early car, so some opted to cut the engine tin, and some the car. Nothing that can't be repaired though.

What tyres did you end up fitting?

Keep up the good work, and keep the pics coming!
(o= i =o) (o\ ! /o)
Jack Nel
Oil Stain
South Africa

Post by Jack Nel »

Thanks Fourier, yes, I'm really chuffed with my find.
The alternator is till in there, not really sure what I want I want to do with that going forward....
I've noticed some melting on the old tail light lenses , I'll make sure I replace the globes when I fit new ones.
Fitted 185/65/15, they're very close to the original od and looks right on the car.
Jack Nel
Oil Stain
South Africa

Post by Jack Nel »

I fitted new silencer yesterday, very happy with that...
Jack Nel
Oil Stain
South Africa

Post by Jack Nel »

Things have been quiet on the Karmann Ghia project side, but that needs to change now. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy....
I made contact with the folks at www.eastcoastclassics.co.za to find out if they would be able and interested in doing a restoration on my KG and they indicated that they sometimes do private customer projects and that they are in a position to take on projects now.I went to see them and look at work they are busy doing and have done, and I was well impressed.
Without seeing my car, we talked some figures and bottom line is that it is not a cheap exercise, but I think it will be worth spending the money on my specific car.
We've previously determined with the help of members on the forum that my car was produced in November 1957 and was an all black car. I need to make a decision now on what I want to do with the colour of my car.
Honestly, I'm not keen on a black car, but at the same time I have an appreciation for a car being restored to what it looked like when it came out the factory. Currently, the car still has original black factory paint on the inside, but everything else including the engine compartment, inside of the luggage compartment and outside of the car has been resprayed.
I know there's lots of value in a car having it's original paint, and there's lots of value in a car being painted according to original factory specs.

In my case, would it take away from the future value of the car if I restore it in a different colour (correct VW KG colour inside and out) than what it came out the factory as?
fourier
Oil Cooler
South Africa

Post by fourier »

In my opinion, you would find most future value, if the car was painted in the original colour it left the factory with. At least the original colour choice can be defended, as opposed to any other colour, which could motivate a buyer to start a lower value debate.

Lowlight Ghias look good in black, nicely contrasted with all the shiny chrome. Do keep in mind, that black is one of the most unforgiving colours, as it will show any body imperfections clearly. A car has to be really straight, to do black paint justice. It can either look very good (if done right), or really bad. Your restorer will probably know this, and charge you more to paint it black...

If you want to deviate from black, I would consider another period correct ('57) Ghia colour, but even that could fuel the value debate.

Ultimately you need to decide what you are after...highest value, or a colour you like.

My Lowlight is currently red, but will be returned to the original Bamboo with Deep Green roof. At first I was disappointed that my car left the factory with such an "ugly" colour combination, but it grew on me, and I now won't consider any other combination for the restoration. It is what it was, when it left the factory.
(o= i =o) (o\ ! /o)
retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Post by retrovan »

Jack my feeling has always been, why force you self to eat spinage if you do not like spinage.

If you going to use the car and enjoy it, paint it the coulor you like, use the car and have fun with it.

If you sell it one day. have it painted black and get your money, Or you will find the next guy hates black as well, then hey Bingo, all sorted.

What i would say is try to paint it into one of the original coulors you like , in that way you will please yourself as well as the purist.

OMO

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
Jack Nel
Oil Stain
South Africa

Post by Jack Nel »

Thanks for your inputs, I'm leaning towards a period correct '57 colour which I like instead of going black....but will need to do more thinking.
Haans
Camshaft
What model do you have?: 1960 ghia
South Africa

Post by Haans »

Jack,.. thats what I did ,... check my steed out under "my ride" on the forum.

Haans was a between "akkies and khaki" some type of green, then between the 2nd and 3rd owners it was painted the current colour what you will see.
I had it flashed over and small areas repaired. My call was made on 1st priority .....extremely budget "correctness" and then the colour combination was not that bad either.
I then decided that the '59 interiors would go well with the outside of the car,.....the '60 interior panels are boring to me.

And it is not looking half bad,....even if I have to say it myself!

Bottom line is it is what floats your boat !

Haans
73type2
Pushrod
What model do you have?: '73 T2 Single Cab
France

Post by 73type2 »

If you do decide to go black, the only colour choice for the interior would be red, in my opinion. White stitching and piping.
fourier
Oil Cooler
South Africa

Post by fourier »

A few period correct (Sept 1957 - Jul 1959) Karmann Ghia colours, but the best choice will be the colour you like.

L41 Toucan black

L241 Bamboo with L318 Deep Green roof

L248 Aerosilver

L337 Dolphin Blue

L352 Cognac

L353 Brilliant Red

L354 Cardinal Red

(o= i =o) (o\ ! /o)
Jack Nel
Oil Stain
South Africa

Post by Jack Nel »

Haans wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:00 am Jack,.. thats what I did ,... check my steed out under "my ride" on the forum.

Haans was a between "akkies and khaki" some type of green, then between the 2nd and 3rd owners it was painted the current colour what you will see.
I had it flashed over and small areas repaired. My call was made on 1st priority .....extremely budget "correctness" and then the colour combination was not that bad either.
I then decided that the '59 interiors would go well with the outside of the car,.....the '60 interior panels are boring to me.

And it is not looking half bad,....even if I have to say it myself!

Bottom line is it is what floats your boat !

Haans
Thanks, I think I will take your advise and make it a colour I like, correct oem spec
Jack Nel
Oil Stain
South Africa

Post by Jack Nel »

73type2 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:18 pm If you do decide to go black, the only colour choice for the interior would be red, in my opinion. White stitching and piping.
I also love the red, but the red nowadays hasn't got that deep colour of the old days, too bright....