Resetting Tappet on 2L aircooled

Give details and pictures of your ACVW projects here.
Autovilla007
Drip
What model do you have?: 81 Autovilla
South Africa

Resetting Tappet on 2L aircooled

Post by Autovilla007 »

The 1981 Autovilla I recently bought has just had the aircooled 2L engine's top end rebuilt due to a dropped valve. The seller has advised that the next 1000km should be done slow and at low revs. Then the tappets must be reset.
The Haynes manual I have indicates that after the innitial setting, no further adjustment is needed.
Any gurus out there with an opionion about whether the slow break in and subsequent tappet resetting is necessary?
Thanks for the advice. :zhelp:

retrovan
Donor
Donor
What model do you have?: 52T1,68FB,72Bay,75FL
Netherlands

Re: Resetting Tappet on 2L aircooled

Post by retrovan »

The slow speed is to prevent overheating of the valve seats and proper embedding of the seat.

Type 4 is know for seat failure and dropping out. so rather be save then sorry.

Type 4 have two different types of valves manual and hydraulic, both are set differently.

They need to be set after the engine has settled down and this only happens after a few heating and cooling cycles.

So very important that they are set at 1000km, and regularly after that.

tappet setting is very important for aircooled engines and should be done as per service instructions.

Herman
1952 Split Beetle 1835cc
1968 Fastback 2Lt.type4
1972 Low Light Bay Panel Van 2Lt type 4
1975 Fleetline Panel Van 1914cc
2020 MeFusco Beetle Truck 2Lt type 4
1972 FT Hahn SP 1776 cc
sean
Transmission
What model do you have?: Bays & Splits
South Africa

Post by sean »

The 2L engine in a T3 bus is a CU motor and utilises hydraulic lifters which never need setting.

I think I recall the previous owner of this Autovilla asking questions on facebook. It had its air intake vents blocked off and for some reason he didn't sort this out, but the engine was overheating. Can you advise on this if it is the same bus?
Autovilla007
Drip
South Africa

Post by Autovilla007 »

Yes, I think it is the same one. The airvents had been very badly sealed off. The previous owner though went to some lengths to prevent further overheating. He installed new vents lower down as well as venta and an additional fan at the rear.

I think this should now be adequite. Any opinions?
sean
Transmission
South Africa

Post by sean »

I don’t believe those would be sufficient. Look rather small in the pics. Also in the incorrect place. The side ones which are now down below will just be sucking in dust. Restore the original vents immediately.

The rear one will worsen overheating. The hot air from the engine exits at the back underneath, but now with a vent mounted there, the engine is just going to be sucking the hot air back in.

What year model is the autovilla? I see it has a grill mounted upfront indicating it was once water cooled.
Autovilla007
Drip
South Africa

Post by Autovilla007 »

It is a 1981 model. I don't know for sure if it was once watercooled, but because the top airvents had been totally sealed off, it would seem to be the case.

The grill up front I believe is standatd though. There is a frame attached at the front that was used to tow the vehicle.

With the original top airvents was there any ducting inside to direct the air down to the engine? Because these were sealed so badly I have covered them up with replacement vents to neaten it up. The damage to the aluminium was too much to install with the backing inside the aluminium siding.

sean
Transmission
South Africa

Post by sean »

Share the VIN number of your bus, this will determine the year.

An aircooled T3 should only have a nose top vent, not a bottom vent. Bottom vent was either added for a watercooled motor or its not a 1981.

There is a ducting panel for air to go down the side vents into the engine bay.
Autovilla007
Drip
South Africa

Post by Autovilla007 »

Posted a pic of this plate on the Autovilla FB page. Someone decoded some of it there and says it us 1981

Here's a better pic of the lower vents. They seem to direct air to the right area better than the top vents.